What's new

Coco Ebb and Flow?

This is my first post so if im breaking some rule or diddn't search well enough, yea just ignore or erase or talk shit.:tiphat:

I am setting up a Aqua Grow ebb 'n flow system with 70/30 coco/perlite. Am i fucking up by not using hydroton? I cut out some door screen to line the bottom of pots. I am really comfortable with DTW Coco, so I want to keep the same medium if possible.
How many times should I flood a day? I was thinking two sence coco holds water pretty well but I am just guessing. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Marshall

There was a thread a couple years ago from a lady that ran a nice coco ebb and flo. Maybe someone can help you find the link. I think one issue was the loose coco clogging the drain. I ran hydroton and watered every 3 hours. But coco holds water much longer which you are probably more familiar with than me.

I would line the buckets with smart pots. Start off watering 1 time every 2-3 days for a week or two. Once the roots take off up the watering to 1 time a day. In flower you can water up to 3 times a day. You cant really over water coco if you have a solid root ball. Good luck!!! I love coco in ebb and flow systems. the smart pots are the key.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I would line the buckets with smart pots. Start off watering 1 time every 2-3 days for a week or two. Once the roots take off up the watering to 1 time a day. In flower you can water up to 3 times a day. You cant really over water coco if you have a solid root ball. Good luck!!! I love coco in ebb and flow systems. the smart pots are the key.

That sounds slick!:tiphat:

Great idea with the smart pots! I'm gonna go ahead and run it with my screen filter this run but the next one I will be running those smart pots. Thanks for the watering schedule too!

grow nerd

Veteran
There was a thread a couple years ago from a lady that ran a nice coco ebb and flo. Maybe someone can help you find the link. I think one issue was the loose coco clogging the drain. I ran hydroton and watered every 3 hours. But coco holds water much longer which you are probably more familiar with than me.

Are you thinking about dongle69?

Snow Crash

Veteran
Oxygen Pot's are built for exactly this purpose. They are absolutely bad ass. Basically a CAP 5-Gal Ebb&Grow on roids. The AA Grow & Flow that you have might have issues with any coco media that makes it into the small diameter drain lines. You're going to need to be extra careful to keep those things clear.

Smart Pots, RootPots, GroPro and Undercurrent also make fabric planters for this purpose. I think that the AA buckets are 12" wide, right? Double check that. Because even if they are "3 gallon" you might need/want the 5 gallon fabric planters (also 12" wide). This gives a little extra fabric you can kind of wrap over the edges or tuck in or whatever because of their height.

Oxygen Pot's are built for exactly this purpose. They are absolutely bad ass. Basically a CAP 5-Gal Ebb&Grow on roids. The AA Grow & Flow that you have might have issues with any coco media that makes it into the small diameter drain lines. You're going to need to be extra careful to keep those things clear.

Smart Pots, RootPots, GroPro and Undercurrent also make fabric planters for this purpose. I think that the AA buckets are 12" wide, right? Double check that. Because even if they are "3 gallon" you might need/want the 5 gallon fabric planters (also 12" wide). This gives a little extra fabric you can kind of wrap over the edges or tuck in or whatever because of their height.
Right on man, thanks! I think i will transplant into the fabric pots before I switch to flower. Im hand watering them right now in veg. I was also thinking of paint strainers but the fabric pots should last longer. The AA pots are 2gallons, not sure on the width of the pot, I will measure when the lights come on. Glad to know people are rocking coco in the ebbnflo setup! I love coco! Thanks everyone!:woohoo:

Guy at the garden store talked me out of the fabric pots last time i was there, claiming they hold water to long for a flood and drain setup so I'm glad you set that straight! Sucks when people give advice based on what they think with no experience. Ha, live and learn! Grateful for the advise

S

supreme bean

I use hydroton in a small home made system.The advantage is-you can flood more frequently
leading to faster growth.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
I run coco in ebb and flood with smartpots....I veg in solo cups...transplant....and run flood on them 3 times per day....

I have roots poking out 2 days later. coco is a huge fan of flood and drain. I am really liking the H&G cocos nutes with GH supps.

Smartpots are great too....and I just get new pots every run...because I am lazy.

TpM

I run coco in ebb and flood with smartpots....I veg in solo cups...transplant....and run flood on them 3 times per day....

I have roots poking out 2 days later. coco is a huge fan of flood and drain. I am really liking the H&G cocos nutes with GH supps.

Smartpots are great too....and I just get new pots every run...because I am lazy.

TpM

All good stuff, thanks for the info, i've been cloning in those tiny Styrofoam cups. Can you veg all the way to flower in the 16 oz solo's. No need to answer that, I'm sure I can! Thanks :tiphat:

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
All good stuff, thanks for the info, i've been cloning in those tiny Styrofoam cups. Can you veg all the way to flower in the 16 oz solo's. No need to answer that, I'm sure I can! Thanks :tiphat:

If you are looking for hydro type growth...than it would be less than optimal to veg in a solo cup...and then transplant and throw directly in to 12/12.

You want to veg in the flowering container for as long as needed to fill the container. Or else you risk getting root rot...and overwatering...which can happen if your root ball is not large enough to support that amount of feeding.

tpM

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This setup rules !
I started using a new setup a short while ago ( I was mostly coco& blumat watering before)

Now it is Coco with perlite in smartpots on an Ebb& Flow table with coco nutes.
Right now I'm only using this vor veg, but I plan on extending to flower.

I expect:
- impressive growth ) can see that already
- no salt built up ( a problem with blumats and no runoff in the 2nd half of flowering)
- ease of use ( one feed per day, pots can be moved around no feedlines attached ot pots)
- no coco debris in the systen becasue of the fabric pots

all the best,

cc

Weeded1s

I love it bro!. im assuming your drain to waste..as I would be following any person doing a dwc or flood table that is in a successful recirc mode at week 9 in flower.. Props props. Can u enlighten us/me on a feed sched. (Timing, 'ec', diff strains, how many times you flood etc.) If all looks sweet I might go to a flood table with all my diff strains on that 6/9.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Weeded1s,
Not sure if you mean the OP or me ?
Mine is recirculating... hesi coco nutes plus a little dripclean.
Not in week 9 yet hahaha but it seems to be doing allright so far...
No slime or funny smells or anything suspicious atm.
details:

veg: small 15gal/50L rez under 250w MH
flower: 35gal/120L rez under 400w HPS
I check on PH and PPMs evry other day and adjust when needed...
fill/exchange with a small pump and a hose.
flooded once a day for around 15min.
PH at 5,8

thinking about aeration/ airpump to be operating only parallel to flooding for extra oxygen.
Anyone an opinion on this ?

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Just a food for thought...

I had so many fabric pots that I never got around to washing...and I didnt want to deal with it...I wound up throwing them out. I am back to square plastic hydrofarm white pots and I have no complaints. I am even running them with Botanicare aeration mix which has a bunch of gnarly perlite and shit in it...and I have had not one problem so far in my ebb and flood tables.

TpM

jbtito

Chevy cHaze - I like that you're also flood&drain type :) was looking for someone to give more info...
I'm also f&d guy but have a few Q for you, since I never done this with coco. you said you use dripclean-what dosage and every feed? do you add any zyme?(you resuse coco?) do you flush by flooding or hand-flush? pot size and feeding frequency?
I know there's lot of Q but even after years and years I don't know everything :)
thanks a lot! :)

jbtito

Latest posts

Latest posts