What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco desperation

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm not the only one, who's not changed their coco in decades. The 1 liter starter pots get fresh stuff, and they move into 10L final pots containing about 9L from the time before. Having lost a liter with the out going plants. So that's 10% of the medium changed each time.

The old plant is cored out with about a liter of compost around it. We have a knife with no point to do this. So as not to stab the system. Sometimes the next plant just goes in that hole, and we announce it's the no till method, and get back to watching TV. On other occasions, the remainder is riddled. Either way, the liter cored out gets beat on something, dropping it's coco very quickly.

The coco is always looked after. There is no particular time to recondition it, or get it out of condition.

I find little difference between feeds. If one strain likes the new stuff, another won't. So rather than finding the right feed for my plants, I find the right plants for my feed. Any new plant that comes in, must work with what I already have growing. Because I have a few types growing, having selected them on my feed. So can't change the feed on all my long term favourites, to suit a newcomer. That would mean I had wasted all my prior work.

I suggest settling on a single part feed that's known to work, and keeping plants that like it. If something has niche needs, it's out. The needs of the many and all that. In time, you will collect many plants that like what you are offering. And be able to look at seed lists and know what will play well.

You have to settle somewhere. So an easy to use feed, and substrate, are a good start. Then keep them. Illuminate by the book. Then start the plant selection.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I e just recently switched to coco maybe 3 cycles ago. I like it a lot. Using the canna bricks and pure blend pro, I'm having great success.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been running advanced ph perfect with cocoa for a while now,gonna give aptus a go next.If I'm not blown away with the results,I'm going to give Jack's a try for sure.Ive heard alot of good things about aptus but the start up isn't cheap,maybe a little cheaper buying from Amazon. Always hate the idea of leaving the little guy behind(hydro store)but the way the market has changed,something has to change.

Grow More Mendocino Hydro 5-11-26 with coco both inside and outside growing not just cannabis, but everything else in the herb and vegetable garden. It does require double salt (Cal-nit) like that Jacks, but Growmore's Nitrogen free Cal/Mag can be used in conjunction with flowering and in veg to lessen the Nitrogen content by omitting the double salt for calcium supplementation.

I have used just about anything you can list from the most expensive "coco" lineup of fertilizer to the cheapest of powder and I have been most content with the Mendocino lineup and I have invested as well into some of the other ratios and products while saving a fortune even though I was never looking for a cheap alternative to anything in comparison. I have always had a limited amount of space and cash to work with and I am going to keep the kiss methods regardless of what the future has in store.

Having spent a few years managing a hydro store I recall that feeling of being a lot like a crook charging for hyped and exhorted bottles of nonsense..

JJ Lowe

Used maxi, jacks, mendo, and others through the years as well. Started running megacrop last year with great/same results.
1 part only on a single dosatron. No additives, nothing.. only downside, it does get a bit gunky compared to others but nothing too bad. we mix a fresh concentrate solution every 3 weeks, set it and forget it. We tear down and clean the dosatron and replace lines every other run..

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I agree with Mr. Krinkle the Nutrifield Coco A/B line is great. Combined NPK = 4-4-2.5 with 4.5% CA and 1% MG and trace amounts of other micros.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts