What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco and soil mixed together?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Most so-called soils are just peat moss or coco amended with different ingredients. There's no soil so to speak only aggregates added to a soil-less mix. The term soil in my horticulture world comes from the earth and not amended peat mixes.

What is the full meaning of soil?
Soil is the loose surface material that covers most land. It consists of inorganic particles and organic matter. Soil provides structural support to plants used in agriculture and is also their source of water and nutrients. Soils vary greatly in their chemical and physical properties. Google

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
May be different depending on where one lives, where I live they sell potting mixes in bags at hardware shops and also at the rural suppliers, in larger quantities
Its base is peat from peat bogs and it fits the description you supplied of soil.

GreenestBasterd

I started a new grow and am probably using about 80% Coco coir with 20% potting soil.
I never used this amount of Coco coir before and it's sure looks like something I'll like. I
do like that it weighs less than soil and drains better.
I tweaked my mix slightly again this run.
1 part peat/1 part old coots/3 parts coco.
I also added about half a cup of crustacean meal and about the same of elemental Sulfur to about 100lt of media.
IMG_7910.jpeg

Low ph of peat, with the watering ability of coco and soil as a buffer. Well that’s my thoughts on it anyway.
Plants are coming up on 3 weeks from flip and are happy.

CharlesU Farley

May be different depending on where one lives, where I live they sell potting mixes in bags at hardware shops and also at the rural suppliers, in larger quantities
Its base is peat from peat bogs and it fits the description you supplied of soil.
Here in the SouthEast U.S., we can get potting soil, topsoil, container soil, etc. just about everything in between. Including my favorite, composted cow crap called Black Kow.

Basically, the closer to potting soil ya get, the more peat content. The closer to topsoil content, ya get more sand.

Coco has always kind of intrigued me, that's why I'm scanning the thread.

jackspratt61

Here in the SouthEast U.S., we can get potting soil, topsoil, container soil, etc. just about everything in between. Including my favorite, composted cow crap called Black Kow.

Basically, the closer to potting soil ya get, the more peat content. The closer to topsoil content, ya get more sand.

Had kow tested years ago. Loaded with sodium

Coco is the best no doubt.
For organic guys and people who don't wanna mess around too much, coco/peat/ewc is amazing in air/water ratio and careless waterings.
To be honest in terms of growth I had the best results from a coco/peat/slow release nutes
Without adding ewc, water only.
All I can say, the guys that make soil mixes usually test them, but people think they know better and start screwing with it...

Its all about air/water cycles, the more you can introduce to your grow, the better.

CharlesU Farley

Coco is the best no doubt.
For organic guys and people who don't wanna mess around too much, coco/peat/ewc is amazing in air/water ratio and careless waterings.
To be honest in terms of growth I had the best results from a coco/peat/slow release nutes
Without adding ewc, water only.
All I can say, the guys that make soil mixes usually test them, but people think they know better and start screwing with it...

Its all about air/water cycles, the more you can introduce to your grow, the better.
I am totally, completely ignorant of all hydroponic techniques in developing cannabis. Just don't have the time or motivation to dig into it now and back in the day, hydroponic growers were kind of elite/snooty and disrespectful of us soil growers... tremendously. So I've always had a mental block about that technique.

But don't a lot of people basically use Coco as a _medium_ for a hydroponic solution, for roots to develop in? Sort of like those rocks I've seen in 5 gallon hydroponic containers, maybe the term DWC is associated with it?

But I've almost been convinced recently by reading forum post that people who use Coco may _actually_ have an occasional, _specific_ ca-mg deficiency.

That's why I'm rooting around and came out of lurk mode in this thread, trying to cure my ignorance. ;)

goingrey

I am totally, completely ignorant of all hydroponic techniques in developing cannabis. Just don't have the time or motivation to dig into it now and back in the day, hydroponic growers were kind of elite/snooty and disrespectful of us soil growers... tremendously. So I've always had a mental block about that technique.

But don't a lot of people basically use Coco as a _medium_ for a hydroponic solution, for roots to develop in? Sort of like those rocks I've seen in 5 gallon hydroponic containers, maybe the term DWC is associated with it?

But I've almost been convinced recently by reading forum post that people who use Coco may _actually_ have an occasional, _specific_ ca-mg deficiency.

That's why I'm rooting around and came out of lurk mode in this thread, trying to cure my ignorance. ;)
Yes, coco by itself is a passive hydro medium, and it holds on to calcium and magnesium so more may be needed than with other media.

CharlesU Farley

Yes, coco by itself is a passive hydro medium, and it holds on to calcium and magnesium so more may be needed than with other media.
Thank you so much! As a dirt farmer, I've never had any type of specific deficiency that could be cured by the simple addition of one or two chemicals. On my scanning of various cannabis fora, especially social media like Reddit, it seems like that's always the solution to whatever ails you, no matter what problem a cannabis (not canvas, voice dictation) plant might be exhibiting.

And sometimes my sarcastic and acerbic edge spills over and kind of denigrates them.

If I was still active on Mr Nice, I would have some 'splaining to do. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for curing my ignorance goingrey, or at least a very small portion of it. ;)

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I mixed up a 30l ( 7 gallon ) grow bag with some Foxfarm Coco/Perlite 70/30 with organic nutes and a topdress of Osmocote. It was way, way too hot and killed a Lemon Tree clone in like 2 days. It wilted and was toast.

I had also purchased some ProMix BX that i picked up at a nearby Flower Nursery. The BX had sat outside uncovered for years probably, sun-bleached bag, bale was slightly swelled. Should have known it would take work to tame, but there were no tears or holes in the bag, it was Cold outside and a trip to one of the Growshops was a full day commitment. So i bought it.

After using most of the BX, and having mixed up Coco that was way too overcharged with nutes, i mixed the two in equal parts plus some extra compost. Still was a bit too hot, scorched some leaves, but it is growing some nice buds on this Tester from Karma.

Sherb IX x Pink Runtz

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: