What's new

Coco and Perlite 50/50

FletchF.Fletch

420club
What's up ICmates? Hope everyone is doing well and growing strong.

Using Coco and Perlite in equal parts for the first time and wanted to invite any knowledge, tips, hacks, cheatcodes, pitfall warnings, and level maps that the community may want to share.

I understand it works similarly to Hydro or using a Soilless mix with regular feeds. Stupidly, I transplanted cuts to the mix and watered them in with just CalMag and no other nutes. Immediately paled while still wet. Moved them out of direct light and sparingly gave them nutrient solution of EC 1.2 which greened them up. They're fine now and ready for more everything. Will be sure and water in with nutes for transplants and Seeds.

That made me wonder what people use for the initial wetting with Coco and Coco blends at Planting or Transplanting?

Thanks everyone!

Synthettek

I use a little less perlite than that personally because I had pH issues when I went higher than like 40% perlite. For what it's worth I get really incredible results with more like 30% perlite.

Ca++

I tried 50/50 by volume, and the outcome was a lot more like perlite than coco. I'm talking consistancy and water holding. It held little, and poured through too easily. While washing about in the process. I found it a mistake. I to wouldn't go past 30%, but in truth, every visit to the temple of perlite, leads me to question my sanity. It's just repeating the same thing, looking for a different result. I'm not a believer.

Perhaps a different grade of coco can be found, or some hydroton added. The clay/coco mix comes ready bagged here. Though disposal of the coco through fire or composting isn't so easy, with stuff mixed in.

StickyBandit

I want to make a setup that can't be overwatered easily. I was thinking about maybe a few minutes 10 x day or something using my timer that just has on/off cycles regardless of the time. Say 1hr 58mins off/2mins on. In this scenario would 50/50 be ok? or I could adjust the timer to compensate? I don't want to be able to get to a waterlogged state. Maybe clay balls would be better than perlite? Or use the clay balls straight? I just don't know...
Sorry to butt in @FletchF.Fletch :D

Synthettek

I tried 50/50 by volume, and the outcome was a lot more like perlite than coco. I'm talking consistancy and water holding. It held little, and poured through too easily.

Yes, same experience here. I had to water easily 2x as more when I had 50% perlite in my mix. For me, 30% is about perfect for the benefits of the aeration and drainage but it is still a mostly coco mix so it hold water for a bit longer without allowing for overwatering.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I want to make a setup that can't be overwatered easily. I was thinking about maybe a few minutes 10 x day or something using my timer that just has on/off cycles regardless of the time. Say 1hr 58mins off/2mins on. In this scenario would 50/50 be ok? or I could adjust the timer to compensate? I don't want to be able to get to a waterlogged state. Maybe clay balls would be better than perlite? Or use the clay balls straight? I just don't know...

No sorry needed @StickyBandit my friend! This is what I was hoping the Thread would be. Active with good advice, ideas, and projects.

LordOfTheNugZ7

I've done coco w perlite at many different ratios... Usually more than 40% is counterproductive. You actually want some drying out between watering/feedings so the roots can touch air, but not to the point of drying out the roots.
Of course everything is dependent on the specifics of your environment, but with my experience I found that coco/perlite does best at about a 70/30 or 65/35 ratio in 3 gal containers w 5 watering cycles per day during veg and 3 during flower. Going for 5-6' bushes for plant size...
I also add a small layer hydroton at the bottom of container just to prevent any sog or pooling on the bottom...as well as drilling holes in sides of containers to promote air pruning Similar to a smart pot.
With it done like this, it is easier to control the humidity in the room as well, just w the amount of watering and the speed that it evaps in the 3 gals.. this can be dialed with lighting type, intensity, and distance from canopy as well. It all ties together...
This also helps to hit the right rate of VPD... so that AC and dehuey and other Controls take on less dependence and working stress to dial properly.

I ramble, but that's my experience w coco ratios through 23 yrs of learning and trying different stuff.

Peace!
LordOfTheNugZ

LordOfTheNugZ7

Not by volume, but less times per day. I only watered during lights on.

During veg I watered more times per day because the lights were on 24 hrs a day.

The amount you water is determined by how much it takes to make it DTW..

goingrey

The best passive hydro medium I have tried, also in this regard, is Seramis. Only thing I don't like about it is the price. Also, still need some LECA on top to prevent algae forming.

StickyBandit

Currently running this 7-20mm straight pumice 5min on/4hr off to see what results I get. They've started growing recently as the roots had to recover when I took the cuttings out of the soil they were in and shook the dirt off then cut the roots in half. There's algae growing but it doesn't seem to hurt anything
@goingrey I can get the Seramis here but it's 4x the price of the pumice

RBCake.JPG