What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coal for DIY Filter in PC case

svani

hello, please help with coal ... I heard that you need to buy coal that is designed for air filters, and not for aquarium filters. is it true and what is the angle of a ludsch for a homemade filter. I need to filter the air from the box as well as possible. Thank you

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
hello, please help with coal ... I heard that you need to buy coal that is designed for air filters, and not for aquarium filters. is it true and what is the angle of a ludsch for a homemade filter. I need to filter the air from the box as well as possible. Thank you

I used activated carbon for aquariums, it worked just fine IME.

svani

thanks, bro!

I want to make a sandwich from a fan and this coal, at least what layer should I create so that the fan can blow and the air come out clean?

depends on your setup obviously

i bought two of the aquarium pellet bags, took an old paper basket (wire mesh) and glued to a plastic bucket (with lid glued and cutout to the fan, easy connection) bought another basket for 2$ and used that mesh for a smaller diameter, used 1cm thick layer but that was too much, half was better
kept the smell away for 3 years growing on and off

just make the diameter/length as large as possible as that dictates the sq surface area that can filter (oh add a dust filter)

svani

depends on your setup obviously

i bought two of the aquarium pellet bags, took an old paper basket (wire mesh) and glued to a plastic bucket (with lid glued and cutout to the fan, easy connection) bought another basket for 2$ and used that mesh for a smaller diameter, used 1cm thick layer but that was too much, half was better
kept the smell away for 3 years growing on and off

just make the diameter/length as large as possible as that dictates the sq surface area that can filter (oh add a dust filter)

as I understand you're talking about it

photo uploading sites

I think to make here such, but I do not know a simple cooler that can blow such a thickness of coal

jonhova

Hey bro

Im doing research on a small powerful fan that has enough "static pressure" to pushor preferrably pull through a carbon filter.

In my research you want a 120 mm or 140 mm PC fan that is used in servers.

Delta and noctua are the top brands most recommend.

I am considering using 2 noctua nf f-12 pwm 3000 fans.
The key here is this fan has high static pressure.
7.63 mm/H2O.

:)

Compared to a 4" inline it is .3" water gauge(static pressure measurement) which is 1/3 of the average 4" inline fan @ 1" water gauge.

Seshwan

as I understand you're talking about it

https://ibb.co/mFrMyRView Image
photo uploading sites

I think to make here such, but I do not know a simple cooler that can blow such a thickness of coal

https://ibb.co/kkVmXmView Image

Hey man I am going to be making oen of these in the next few days.

I got the idea of someone else thar grows on these forums and they use fans in total. They have it like this -

[PC fan][Empty PC fan][Empty PC fan filled with carbon]

He said he didnt have any problems so I am going to do that

Latest posts

Latest posts