What's new

co2 oil

purge

purge

hmmmmmmm......
Why would someone go through all the trouble of c02 extraction and not purge not purge the moisture out?
There is a few reasons for not purging out moisture from extract. One reason is top note. Dabbers are the wine tasters of the pot community. When one purges the moisture content below 15%, there is a loss in flavor and aromas. Another reason is for weight. Since 151 proof is the highest alcohol content easily available, the last 25% of moisture is largely water, it's widely accepted as safe residuals there to increase bulk yield. One more reason I not choose to purge the shit out of my extract is consistancy. Fuck whipping. When it walks like an old elderly person very slow, it tends to catch the attention of consumers. I am often asked how I get those results, but it's not bho.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a few reasons for not purging out moisture from extract. One reason is top note. Dabbers are the wine tasters of the pot community. When one purges the moisture content below 15%, there is a loss in flavor and aromas. Another reason is for weight. Since 151 proof is the highest alcohol content easily available, the last 25% of moisture is largely water, it's widely accepted as safe residuals there to increase bulk yield. One more reason I not choose to purge the shit out of my extract is consistancy. Fuck whipping. When it walks like an old elderly person very slow, it tends to catch the attention of consumers. I am often asked how I get those results, but it's not bho.

How exactly do you finish off your CO2 extracts bro?

rosebud85

Why do you have to purge CO2? I don't understand? I see these guys CO2 start, then Rick Simmons finish? Then Purge? Geeez!!! Why do you have to bother with all of this after CO2?

Breakover

I'm still of the opinion that SCFE with co2 is the equivalent of swatting flies with a baseball bat.

If you're winterizing with ethanol, for example, it doesn't really matter if you used butane or co2 as the first solvent. Claiming your product is somehow superior or safer because you used Co2, and failing to mention you used a second solvent in your process, is highly dishonest and intentionally misleads the consumer.

Not saying all the co2 folks are doing this, but some are here in the mitten.

Breakover

Check out the concentrates section of results here:

http://www.ironlabsllc.co/view/results.php

Go back 6 months, and look for 'true labs' results from October. This is the local co2 outfit. Check out their potency, color, and consistency. They top out at 70% and are quite consistently in the 50% range.

Then look at the top of the list at the super lemon wax submitted by Nature's Alternative this month.

See that 79% THC number? Yeah, guess who made that...

:lol:

Purging

Purging

How exactly do you finish off your CO2 extracts bro?
I use all kinds of different methods. I must say that its not really the purge that makes the huge impact, its the very start of what I do that makes a difference. Having food grade solvents is the big noticable change that's pretty much universal as far as pleasing my peer review. The methods are more consciencely applied towards green technology and everything else falls into place. FDA, EPA, strict Ca laws, and even beat a case of manufacturing where people are getting made examples when manufacturing BHO. So I am still trying to convince a close friend to give me the permission to do the extraction at their place and am making ground work on that subject.

Attachments

• IMG_20131212_171110.jpg
    IMG_20131212_171110.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 10
That's the small pro choice vessel going to be promoted to shops for the low price of $500. Just needs co2 and the intellectual property that makes it all happen is a great value.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use all kinds of different methods. I must say that its not really the purge that makes the huge impact, its the very start of what I do that makes a difference. Having food grade solvents is the big noticable change that's pretty much universal as far as pleasing my peer review. The methods are more consciencely applied towards green technology and everything else falls into place. FDA, EPA, strict Ca laws, and even beat a case of manufacturing where people are getting made examples when manufacturing BHO. So I am still trying to convince a close friend to give me the permission to do the extraction at their place and am making ground work on that subject.

Aside from purging, how do you remove the plant waxes?

Assuming a ~20% oil yield starting material, how much prime bud does your DIY system extract per run. How many runs for full extraction.

One Presence

Hey Dybert, I'm working with an Apeks 1500 5L and I'm looking to consult with an experienced CO2 extract artist. Is this something you would be interested in? I am happy to pay for your time and expertise to help recoup some of your R&D costs.

Thanks!

vapeking

I'm reviving this thread with some legit information. I own a CO2 extraction facility on the West Coast.

Here is my setup.

View Image

Here we are filtering waxes out and distilling off our ethanol used for winterizing.

View Image

View Image

and here is some finished Oil

View Image
Been working with an Apeks 20L and our before and after product looks exactly the same, however it seems most of the terpenes are lost at this point. How can we reintroduce terpenes back into this finished product, or get it to this viscosity without losing terpenes? Also when in the final stage of vacuum purging how much should it be bubbling because I don't see much action, very slow bubbles, like lava lol. We do this to get the final alcohol out correct? Also have a vacuum oven AI 7.5 c.f. and it seems that after a while it loses some vacuum. Do you have these issues?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Have yet to see a co2 extract that will even make my brain warm....

HATE THE SHIT.....

A6 Grower

Veteran
Anyone seen this http://ocolabs.com/ Looks kinda cool for personal runs.

Im with you krunch, never had co2 i was impressed with. All the happy cat we have at the store in only 60%thc and like 3-7% terps.... WTF is with those low ass numbers? I regularly get mid 80s on THC and 7-15% terps with BHO. Those numbers make me happier lol

I tried to make a thread but i guess i'm not allowed to anymore lol, anyone else have to have their new thread approved first now? I feel like i'm in trouble for making the mr. extractor thread lol..

KiefSweat

Veteran
talked to the dude who made that machine for a while at a trade show, he invented the paint ball gun or some technology to do with the sport. its a rather small product but i could see its use for prototyping or for someone with a sick kid who needs to make small batches of oil, overall for the price i could see buying one

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have yet to see a co2 extract that will even make my brain warm....

HATE THE SHIT.....

I sampled some "Moon Rock", with some of the monoterpenes added back, that were aromatic, tasty, and extremely heady, made by Patrick at Eden Labs.

Fractionating the heavier constituets, the cannabinoids, and the monterpenes off separately, the moon rock fraction came out of the extraction column as as a tube the consistency of pumice, and liquified using a small amount of the monoterpene fraction

Not pretty to look at, but in a blind test would have scored high marks.

vapeking

We do nun runs all the time and the terpenes pre-winterizing are RETARDED! Just cracked the lid on some J1 nug extraction and it smells like butterscotch!! Wish I could sell the smell!!! This is extraction is CO2 we use an apex 20 L. Also was curious if you could winterize in too cold of temps? We have a -50C cryogenic freezer that we use to winterize and store pre-winterized CO2 extract. We have it set on -30, but was curious if it would be safe at -50?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We do nun runs all the time and the terpenes pre-winterizing are RETARDED! Just cracked the lid on some J1 nug extraction and it smells like butterscotch!! Wish I could sell the smell!!! This is extraction is CO2 we use an apex 20 L. Also was curious if you could winterize in too cold of temps? We have a -50C cryogenic freezer that we use to winterize and store pre-winterized CO2 extract. We have it set on -30, but was curious if it would be safe at -50?

Should work at -50C.

Latest posts

Latest posts