What's new

co2 is very important

kyndone

ok... so ive seen quite a few of DIY stuff on different buckets and watering systems, ect., but i havent found any DIY co2 generators i found a few on you-tube that i thought would be a cool idea, but they were all pretty cheesy, and didnt seem to be able to control the amount of co2 leaving the bottles, i am broke and dont have the 2 or 3 hundred to throw down, so i have been doing some research, if anyone knows anything about any homemade co2 gens. that have worked please clue me in,

thanks, kynd.
picture.php

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
if you have 2 to 3 hundo burnin a hole in your pocket, hold onto it for a little longer and just go get a legit c02 gen. system.

they dont cost much more but being able to differentiate between 1000ppm and 1500ppm is going to be hard any other way.... and if you are adding c02 to your grow, everything else should be on lock.

a couple more hundred is a drop in the barrel, will pay for itself the first crop.

kyndone

ya i see what ur sayin Zen, im just trying to come up with a temp solution till i have more money, is some co2 better than none?, and what do u mean by everything else should be on lock?

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Co2 is the last thing to spend money on is what he means, once you have your grow all tuned up running well, and are sure it will be of value to you. I do not use it, many do not, it is not a magic ticket, and can cause issues as well as give benefits. Focus on the rest of your grow.

compost

Think of CO2 less as a yield enhancer(even though it does) and think of it more as a way to cut your flowering and or veg time down. Right now I am looking at upgrading my veg room with it to because it is starting to lag with more watts going in my flowering room. Thats just my 2 cents. But like everyone said if your not dailed in already you should probably wait to add the c02.

kyndone

k, ty everyone, i did see a difference when i started using the co2, but like haps is saying, it was only after i got the pH and the nute/water feeding under control, so overall i dont know if it was any one thing, or the combo, but it looks much better now than it did a couple weeks ago,and they are in a box now that is more closed looped, than i had before, i really heard that co2 is more beneficial during flower,but i was more wondering about these homemade co2 generators ive seen on you-tube, as a means to save some money.and if anyone had a better way of doing it.,

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
the homemade joint bucket dont put out enough co2 to make a difference if u do plan on going with co2 start thinkn bout how ur gonna seal ur room to make it air tight which is key when u use co2 i luv the shit i ran without it and added it and seen my crops get bigger and finish faster. first but likes haps said its not for everyone ur room really has to be dialed in for it to be most helpful dont know what issues other then havin to maintain a sealed room which requires alot more inital work but isnt much more maitence onced dialed in...

K

Kindman69

Cheers kyndone :)
I've been growing with co2 (controlled) for over 3 years now, and in my opinion it makes no sense unless you are also growing in a closed growing environment or cge. In fact in an cge environment you have to add the co2 for obvious reasons. Maintaining 1500-1800ppm of co2 with an exhaust system going is insane imho, you will go through a 20#tank every week or so, depending on how much exhaust you are running.
In my small cge grow (600w) a 20# tank lasts me about 5-7weeks, and my space is not 100% tight (almost though lol)
Now, dialing in a cge can be an absolute nightmare, there are environmental issues like 'offgasing' to deal with, as well as all the other factors have to be spot on. You will need ac, humidifier, de-humidifier etc.
On the plus side there are less pests to deal with, the temps are always right, humidity can be controlled etc. And oh yeah, the plants finish up about 1-2 weeks faster with the nugs being always of the rock solid kind :))

Here is a shot from my current grow, 600w, currently 1500ppm co2, 14 days into it, banana og is the flavor...

Happy growing,
Kind

If you aren't 100% dialed in with your ph, nutrients, temps, humidity, wait on the co2. And if you are 100% dialed in, you will have to increase your nutrient strength by approx 30%. I see a 25%-30% increase in yield running 1750ppm from day one of flower until 10 days before harvest, then I turn off the burner and reduce my temps back down to 70 night and 76 with the lights on to frost everything up nicely. Co2 is NOT a magic bullet but it is, in my opinion, worth the investment once you have everything figured out.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Just make sure that your garden has adequate ventilation to have ambient levels of co2. try to have intake on one and exhaust on the other end so you actually change most of the room air. charcoal filters are a good idea. save your cash till you can afford a realistic co2 setup

bterzz

Veteran
Just make sure that your garden has adequate ventilation to have ambient levels of co2. try to have intake on one and exhaust on the other end so you actually change most of the room air. charcoal filters are a good idea. save your cash till you can afford a realistic co2 setup

Real co2 setups dont have an intake/exhaust :tiphat:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
my room is sealed if u exhaust u suck out the co2. i do run a exhaust and extra carbon scrubber when light go out to give fresh air in there for the next day and it keeps my dehumidy from runnin as soon as light and co2 kick on the exhaust kicks off. its the most effecient way since the fan i use is 100w and the dehum is over 1000. and a fan on the floor facin up helps to.

BeaverHuntr

CO2 is pretty much pointless to use unless you have a sealed environment .. Bottom line without a sealed environment you will just be sucking the Co2 out of the air with whatever fans you exhaust or cool your lights with...

highonmt

Veteran
CO2 supplementation...if your not set up right, will just cost you money....Air circulation can as effective if not more effective than co2 supplementation check out heath robinsons grows if you doubt that. I'm now pulling 1g+/watt in my personal room with no co2 just a couple cheap hvac fans off ebay total cost of my air circulation set up was @60$. i have CO2 generators tanks meters solenoid valves etc. they are sitting in the closet which is a lot cheaper than filling / running them.. In the warehouses we run sealed with optimal CO2 levels (provided by generators or bulk tank depending on the season), temp and rh and do just about the same .5-1.5g/watt strain dependent. So it all depends on your setup...but if your short on cash use the co2 in the air there is more of it every year...Merry Christmas...HM

deepcover

you can run co2 on intake and exhaust effectively, co2 doesnt need a long contact time to be absorbed by the underside of your plants leaves' stomata, so as long as you are making sure its being cascaded around your plants even with exhaust you can run it effectively. having said that id never bother. too much of a PITA and you should have a dialed RH% and temp if you are going co2 so thats MUCH easier to achieve and keep consistent in a CEA.

save yer dollars and get a good controller moniter . i dont like the DIY systems for anything other than a closet grow, u cant monitor and adjust your levels .

Daffy

Sounds like a general consensus of get dialed in before starting CO2. Anyone have XP brewing to add CO2? I think its thrifty and neat. Leaving the control/adjustment factor aside cuz you probly can't excess, How much CO2 could be produced at what cost compared to the propane/nat gas alt.? I'm not sure why you couldn't monitor this diy, they have CO2 monitors.

Ursus

Something you should look into man which are surprisingly helpful (to a friend of mine anyway) are these little alka seltzer like tabs you put into a glass of water and they emit c02 for upto 2-3 hours per tab. I'm pretty sure they're called c02 fizz tabs

kyndone

ok, its been about 2 weeks, , so i wanted to throw up an update pic, and i wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me, ive had em on 12/12 since the 18th, i had alot of self created problems in the beginning but i got it under control with the help of you guys, and girls from i c and a good friend here where i live,they are doing great :) i will put up another pic when i see more progress, and ive have done a little research this morning on the afghani bullrider strain, and the bubble gum strain as well, but i could not find anything with the two combined, if anyone knows anything about Afghani bullrider X Bubblegum please clue me in, thanks

kynd.
picture.php