What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2-Is it worth it?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't doubt that you enjoy your product. I don't really have anything to back it up other than my word being that I live in a medical/recreational state, know lots of growers personally and have been in several grows and have tasted lots of smoke. I have an experienced pallet and have been growing indoor and first used CO2 in 1987. I know some guys who refuse to use enhanced CO2 for the last 2 to 3 weeks of flower. I know in my grow when I go over 600 I notice a diminished popcorn or straw like flavor and know others who feel that CO2 affects flavor negatively during the end of the grow. I have tasted it and discussed it with friends who agree.

I know there is literature out there but I didn't bookmark it or anything. I also have to wonder if there is a correlation between using a CO2 generator or using CO2 from a tank. Most of the people I know run CO2 generators.

Maybe we will find that there are actually different results from using "tank CO2" compared to "generator CO2".

I can also testify that using CO2 definitely can increase mold growth. I have seen it in several grows. CO2 makes everything grow faster, including mold.
Its not just me, its a lot of people. And having gone from no co2 to using it and back and forth many times, i can attest to it not changing anything regarding taste. Ive used burners and tanks. Ive been tasting cannabis for 25 years and my career is in wine. I too feel i have a refined palate. Lingering flavor is the main thing i seek in cannabis. If co2 impacted this, id never use it.

Last edited:

Ca++

As a side note, most people don't know what a good sense of smell is. They only have their own to judge against. So most presume they're above average, as they can smell things that to them, barely smell.
Here is a kit to actually test your sense of smell

There are others, it's just the top search result.

It's mostly women in the top third, and not smokers. The odds are stacked against anyone here smelling much.

A few people have tried to quantify how well they can smell, or why.
When I share a lift (elevator) with a woman, I can often tell the time of her cycle. Most people are blind to this. The chemical turd smell just before they bleed is particularly bad, and it's not much better through that period. It's like having a shitty finger, you keep sniffing, yet you know it smells bad. Only more foxy. Which isn't surprising, as we are programmed not to bone it, but instead to hang around sniffing, as soon it will be divine. This doesn't make me a supertaster though. It just puts me on the right road.
Statistically, most people don't have a clue about the smells around them. A fact that just came home to them.

The test strips are good. Giving an idea of sensitivity to a range of flavours.
Edit: My link failed, and now I only find incomplete tests to post.
Edit2: More feckin fail... find your own lol

I'm very interested in this topic. Did you know we can only taste 3 things at once, maximum. Put 4 things on your pizza, and you can't separate the flavours. If you can see them, you can isolate the flavours, but it's mostly from memory. That memory function is why we may smell something, and be taken back to a previous time. Such as smelling bread in the supermarket, but picturing a better time. There is a lot going on. Far off this topic.

Last edited:

greyfader

Minor scientific correction: it's not the CO2 _addition_ to ambient air that causes the increase in water vapor, it's the _process_ that the CO2 is produced by, when CO2 is not being supplied by a tank.

The liquid CO2 contained in a tank has zero relative humidity as it sublimates to a gas. There's no water vapor contained in tanks, just liquefied CO2 under pressure. If anything, theotetically the addition of pure CO2 from a tank would _decrease_ the actual relative humidity in a tent.

I used to give supplemental CO2 breathing treatments to patients who had intractable hiccups when I was a Respiratory Therapist. :)
yep, most of my experience is with burners.

tricloud

As a side note, most people don't know what a good sense of smell is. They only have their own to judge against. So most presume they're above average, as they can smell things that to them, barely smell.

It's mostly women in the top third, and not smokers. The odds are stacked against anyone here smelling much.

When I share a lift (elevator) with a woman, I can often tell the time of her cycle. Most people are blind to this. The chemical turd smell just before they bleed is particularly bad, and it's not much better through that period. It's like having a shitty finger, you keep sniffing, yet you know it smells bad. Only more foxy. Which isn't surprising, as we are programmed not to bone it, but instead to hang around sniffing, as soon it will be divine. This doesn't make me a supertaster though. It just puts me on the right road.
Statistically, most people don't have a clue about the smells around them. A fact that just came home to them.

I'm very interested in this topic. Did you know we can only taste 3 things at once, maximum. Put 4 things on your pizza, and you can't separate the flavours. If you can see them, you can isolate the flavours, but it's mostly from memory. That memory function is why we may smell something, and be taken back to a previous time. Such as smelling bread in the supermarket, but picturing a better time. There is a lot going on. Far off this topic.

comparing with friends will also let you know. I used to have a better sense of smell b4 I had covid. B4 that I had an excellent sense of smell.

Ca++

comparing with friends will also let you know. I used to have a better sense of smell b4 I had covid. B4 that I had an excellent sense of smell.
I actually deleted my covid experience. I lost my sense of smell first, as many people did. The bounce back was incredible though. The recalibration I guess, took me into K9 territory for a bit. I learnt we probably ignore a lot of what we smell, and just look for changes of interest. We don't want to smell a lot of things. I don't miss the heightened awareness of those months. This might explain why many of us don't develop the same level of ability. Perhaps the wine and bud guys making constant comparisons, are doing real training, with what they were given. While people living by the sewerage farm, don't want to smell it at all.

Perhaps you can retrain yourself, back to what you learned as a kid. Before you started smoking and eating hot curries :)

Ca++

So.. topic

Link here shows more light=more everything, as a linear relationship, upto 1800umol, at 435ppm co2.
1800umol is a lot of light. This study and all the others I have seen recently (last 5 years) have not shown a fall off in yield, where atmospheric co2 became a limiting factor.

I have never reached a point, where more light didn't mean more green. Older graphs did show a log response, where 800umol or more, started to become less useful. However, recent papers I have seen, are just 1:1 to 1800umol under atmospheric conditions.

tricloud

I actually deleted my covid experience. I lost my sense of smell first, as many people did. The bounce back was incredible though. The recalibration I guess, took me into K9 territory for a bit. I learnt we probably ignore a lot of what we smell, and just look for changes of interest. We don't want to smell a lot of things. I don't miss the heightened awareness of those months. This might explain why many of us don't develop the same level of ability. Perhaps the wine and bud guys making constant comparisons, are doing real training, with what they were given. While people living by the sewerage farm, don't want to smell it at all.

Perhaps you can retrain yourself, back to what you learned as a kid. Before you started smoking and eating hot curries :)
I caught covid 3 times and my sense of smell was negatively affected all 3 times but once it lasted almost 6 months before I could smell anything. I'm doing pretty good now. Most perfume still overwhelms my old factory especially if it's been even slight overly applied, but it's always been that way.

At first I was having problems with smelling OG's but that has come back.

Isopropyl overwhelms me now though and it doesn't smell exactly like it used to.

I've seriously been playing the smell game amongst friends and even acquaintances since cannabis has been "legal" here and decades prior. Member of a compassion club that allows smoking and been a member since 09. It's like Amsterdam there lol.

greyfader

so, you're the guy acting like a german shepherd in the elevator, or lift as they say over there, sniffing chicks crotches.

hey, have you heard about the blind man walking past the fish factory who said, "good evening, ladies."

Latest posts

Latest posts