What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2-Is it worth it?

sublingual

So I got new lights recently and they are great. I read that my plants can't use all that light (above about 900 lux. My plants are usually bathed in about 2000 lux. If they can't use the light, I don't want to waste it. Either I should add CO2 and get the benefits or grow at a lower level (turn down the drivers), if the light is wasted. I could use peoples' perspective who have run CO2. Can anyone give advice?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so you stop after 4 weeks? you don't have to run it the whole cycle?
Im sorry but this couldnt be further from the truth. Keeping co2 at 1200ppm through both veg and flower cycles has immense benefits. Cutting co2 at week 4 is a huge mistake. Especially if you are working at a higher ppfd/light intensity, its a cardinal parameter. Its one of the most important things we can add for its cost. At week 4 is imo the worst possible time to cut it. They are going into their bulking stage and are at a high rate of growth. Co2 is needed at all times to see the 20-30% increase in yield.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are into making money then co2 is really worth it. However, if you are just a guy or gal with a tent or a closet I don't think it's worth it. It does have a place in commercial horticulture.
I see where you are coming from. However, if one has a tent or really any space exceeding 600ppfd you will not see gains from the increased light without co2 enrichment. Lots of people have a tent with a light averaging ppfd over 900. If thats the case, you really are being silly for not having co2 enrichment. Its just a huge waste of energy and your plants never excel as they should.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I see where you are coming from. However, if one has a tent or really any space exceeding 600ppfd you will not see gains from the increased light without co2 enrichment. Lots of people have a tent with a light averaging ppfd over 900. If thats the case, you really are being silly for not having co2 enrichment. Its just a huge waste of energy and your plants never excel as they should.
Thanks for the information friend. I need to try raising the CO2 now and see the difference.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Always had the best results over the years with CO2 enrichment. It works in concert with other increased parameters. Crooked8 knows what he is talking about…. Big juicy buds bursting with health.

Another fallacy is that co2 sacrifices quality for yield. Definitely not in my experience.

Ca++

I have yet to see a co2 user, beat my non-co2 yield.
In fact, the people that have beat my yield, didn't use co2.
It does stand to reason, that somebody in the scientific community has beaten my non-co2 yield, by using co2. However, not that I have seen. Which if co2 was worth using, would be a daily occurrence.

co2 is a greenhouse gas, we are desperately trying to capture and store away forever. The cost of using it, that people speak of, is simply what it costs to buy the stuff. If you ask people suffering from global warming what the cost is, I don't think they will see it quite the same way. If you wonder who these people are, they are the people of Earth. Your kids perhaps, who are wondering if they are going to continue your genetic line or end millions of years of your evolution, because our generation fucked it.

sshz did a 2.3g per watt orange gasm grow, over at the farm. It's very well documented, and as such, the most believable yield claim I have seen. About 50% more than the co2 users I have noticed here, without him using co2. So how can anyone justify using it.

Lighting measurements in LUX don't really convert very well. LUX meters all react differently to LEDs, so we really need to know what light and space you have, to judge your illumination. The space needs to be a proper measurement though, or it's not worth working it out.
2000 lux is a cloudy day.

olie_15

Im sorry but this couldnt be further from the truth. Keeping co2 at 1200ppm through both veg and flower cycles has immense benefits. Cutting co2 at week 4 is a huge mistake. Especially if you are working at a higher ppfd/light intensity, its a cardinal parameter. Its one of the most important things we can add for its cost. At week 4 is imo the worst possible time to cut it. They are going into their bulking stage and are at a high rate of growth. Co2 is needed at all times to see the 20-30% increase in yield.

interesting. i only run co2 during the first 4 weeks of flower bc i don't feel the need to run co2 during veg since i'm in hydro and my plants are growing rapidly. i stop at 4 weeks from the research i've read that once the buds form, the co2 isn't beneficial...

olie_15

i’ll have to try running it for the full flower cycle on my next few runs and see.

i’m happy to have meaningful discussions like this to help my grow!!!

Reactions: JKD

Ca++

Rooting cuts and establishing them with co2 is beneficial. If a plant gets a bad start, it's best put in the bin. Using co2 at that early stage, can get a better start, that sets them up for your veg area.

co2 use in a sealed prop, where the plants are barely taking any, is quite efficient. You can get fizzy tablets, or just blow in the prop quite often. We breathe out many times more, than anyone is enriching to.

sublingual

So this is what I decided to add for CO2. The bag said to use for 4'x4' but another guy said it would be enough for 4'x8' too. I might get another bag tomorrow if they still have them. One hydro store was out of them. Does anyone have experience with this product?
IMG_2151.JPG

Hiddenjems

From what I’ve seen the only way to use the large array leds to their full potential is sea of green and co2 in 4x4 flood tables. Without co2 the plants burn up before you max out the light intensity into the canopy.

The feeding can be very different. Constantly checking the concentration of the solution in the rez, or your runoff and the plants themselves will tell you what needs changed. They will use more nutes, but also transpire more water at the higher temps co2 supplementation requires.

About yield. If there is no time component it’s useless. Sure I can veg a plant for 10 weeks and get a great yield. What matters is how much dried flower your operation produces per month/week, per square foot of canopy.

Getting 20 zips per 1000w light over a 3x3 tray every 7 weeks is a larger yield than 25 zips out of the same setup, but every 12 weeks.

sublingual

From what I’ve seen the only way to use the large array leds to their full potential is sea of green and co2 in 4x4 flood tables. Without co2 the plants burn up before you max out the light intensity into the canopy.

The feeding can be very different. Constantly checking the concentration of the solution in the rez, or your runoff and the plants themselves will tell you what needs changed. They will use more nutes, but also transpire more water at the higher temps co2 supplementation requires.

About yield. If there is no time component it’s useless. Sure I can veg a plant for 10 weeks and get a great yield. What matters is how much dried flower your operation produces per month/week, per square foot of canopy.

Getting 20 zips per 1000w light over a 3x3 tray every 7 weeks is a larger yield than 25 zips out of the same setup, but every 12 weeks.
Thanks for your insight, you have stated some things I will need to keep in mind. I have a question as to how the plants will tell you. Are you referring to nutrient strength?
This is my personal grow for medicine. I do want to grow my plants better but this will be dry sifted and eventually edibles. I'm growing Ace sativas, I don't think anyone buys sativas do they?

Hiddenjems

Thanks for your insight, you have stated some things I will need to keep in mind. I have a question as to how the plants will tell you. Are you referring to nutrient strength?
This is my personal grow for medicine. I do want to grow my plants better but this will be dry sifted and eventually edibles. I'm growing Ace sativas, I don't think anyone buys sativas do they?
Plenty of people will buy sativa, few people grow it for sale. A hybrid will put out a larger yield in half the time.

Yes about nutrient strength.