What's new

Co2 Bucket

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Does anyone have a budget alternative to the bucket & fungus type of Co2 generator! The actual mechanics are easy to replicate but what about the medium. Don't really want some stinking compost in my garden?

Incognegro

I used use ice cubes of vinegar placed over a tub of baking soda....
worked very effectively for a small grow.. my area at the time was 4 x4

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Like the sound of that Incognegro! Can you give me a little more info on the setup?

*mistress*

Veteran
this may be helpful:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3021940&postcount=639

... 1 to 5 gal. container of orange/grapefruit/pineapple juice, kept warm for 7-10 days..., small hole drilled into lid/top... 1# of sugar/cup or 2 of molasses poured in every week or so to keep process going... bubbling process is c02 escaping from from container thru hole/1/4 in tube by fermentation of juice + sugar... can use thermoses, suspended from ceiling/tent/area... so that heavier-than-air c02 fall down onto leaves...

...another alternative is misting leaves w/ sparkling/seltzer water every day or so...
sparkling water is carbonated (contains pressurized c02... see *fizz*)... maybe adjust ph ^up of the sparkling water to ~6.5 to 7 before applying... as leaves tend to prefer a higher ph of solution when foliar feeding... not actually foliar feeding fertz thru the water, just gas... however, water will fall onto the leaves... & the ph of sparkling water may be >6 in the bottle...

..not posting this will generate any specific amount/ppm of c02... but should generate *some* c02, in small enclosure/garden...

hope this helps

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Co2

Co2

this may be helpful:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3021940&postcount=639

... 1 to 5 gal. container of orange/grapefruit/pineapple juice, kept warm for 7-10 days..., small hole drilled into lid/top... 1# of sugar/cup or 2 of molasses poured in every week or so to keep process going... bubbling process is c02 escaping from from container thru hole/1/4 in tube by fermentation of juice + sugar... can use thermoses, suspended from ceiling/tent/area... so that heavier-than-air c02 fall down onto leaves...

...another alternative is misting leaves w/ sparkling/seltzer water every day or so...
sparkling water is carbonated (contains pressurized c02... see *fizz*)... maybe adjust ph ^up of the sparkling water to ~6.5 to 7 before applying... as leaves tend to prefer a higher ph of solution when foliar feeding... not actually foliar feeding fertz thru the water, just gas... however, water will fall onto the leaves... & the ph of sparkling water may be >6 in the bottle...

..not posting this will generate any specific amount/ppm of c02... but should generate *some* c02, in small enclosure/garden...

hope this helps

Yeah great stuff mate, love the idea of the fermenting fruit juice. Might just try that. My pal told me the other day about his home-brew kit kicking out some C02. Beer & Bud in one place! A symbiotic relationship made in heaven!
Take it easy :tiphat:

W

willyweed

i use the sugar yeast water method some guy on here did the maths and its works for a closed 4/4/7 tent and costs a bag of sugar a week and some cheap yeast 2tins in the coop £1.80 which will last couple of grows and £1 per week on sugar. a few little tweeks ya self like shaking the bottles everytime you grow into the room. and it does work even if you have extraction co2 is heavier than air so must have a fan in the room blowing the co2 up over the plants the extractor will nick some but importantly the plants will get the rest .you could go large and use 4 x2ltr bottles £2 per week defo helps the plants .i run it and it works have a look at my plant photos defo bigger buds than without .good luck .willyweed

W

willyweed

http://www.urbansunshine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_368_371

take a look at that. They have these tablets, I've been dying to try out because im in the same boat as you and want to use co2, but a gen or burner is a no go atm. Those little dissolving pucks last 5 hours and supposedly raise the ppm to 1500 for a 10x10 room!
when i just had a quick look it says it raises the co2 by 1600. would be better if they do smaller ones but a good find if you have a large space and dont mind paying $8 a day assuming you would need to use 2 per day !

8-bit

what about dry ice? throw it in an insulated cooler and poke some holes in it, bam, CO2 for a week. You could probably get it for free at a lot of grocery stores/meat markets (if they wont give it to you check behind the building! :p ) I mean, it IS solid CO2, what could be better?

Ursus

when i just had a quick look it says it raises the co2 by 1600. would be better if they do smaller ones but a good find if you have a large space and dont mind paying $8 a day assuming you would need to use 2 per day !

Well my room is about half of 10x10 so I guess I could split 1 puck into two administrations. But heres the stoner logic... if I cut the puck in half... do I get half the PPM and the full 5 hours or do i only get 2.5 hours and full ppm?

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Hi,
I found these for sale in Uk.

CO2 TABLETS - THE EASIEST WAY TO RELEASE CO2 INTO YOUR GROW ROOM

CO2 Tabs slow release frizzy tablets containing an high quantity of Carbon Dioxide: put one or two of them into a glass of water in the grow box and it will release the CO2 in the air for the foliar uptake or you can put them directly into the nutrient solution for root uptake.
We suggest to use two tablets into a glass of water for spaces of one meter square, switching of the extractors fans while the tabs dissolve will increase the co2 level, temperatures can be run higher using co2 but do not let the room get above 30 degrees
This tub contains 60 tablets.
Weight: 0.3kgs

Also found a product in the US called Fizzion, it's used for getting stains out of clothes but is dissolving pure Co2.
Stay safe :tiphat:

clown baby

If you don't stay on top of that fermentation it's going to get gross. A yeast can take out a 20 brix (20% sugar w/v) in under a week. After that, nasty mold will start growing.

IMHO if you're not going to get CO2 or a propane burner, then it's best just to ventilate your grow.

If you do go the fermentation route, make sure to properly seal it with a fermentation lock and some kind of alcohol in the chamber to kill any bacteria.

John.Hammond

I did the whole fermentation bottle thing.. and I think it may help but its gross, sticky, too much work and just about as expensive as a boost bag after u run it for 3 months. Also gnats and all bugs love sugar water so u have to clean any and all spills of that bullshit.

My advice is dont worry about it, most places have plenty sufficient CO2 for plants to grow, just make sure your room refreshes air frequently. If you really are bound and determined to hardly boost your CO2 and throw some money into your grow get a boost bag for 40 bucks. None of these will produce well enough to seal your room and raise the temps, but if placed behind a fan can debatebly help.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

My fresh air intake, pulls in air from the outer room of my loftie, which is real cold. I have a lot of trees around me, so maybe there will be enough C02 coming in anyway.
I was just looking for that 'NOs effect' you know? Steroids for plants lol.
I think the only real way to go there, is the technical - expensive way. Bottled gases of both Co2 & Oxygen and a digital controller to release & control both when required.
Does anyone have and use such an advanced system? Does it really boost your crop the way I (feverishly) imagine??
Stay safe

clown baby

My fresh air intake, pulls in air from the outer room of my loftie, which is real cold. I have a lot of trees around me, so maybe there will be enough C02 coming in anyway.
I was just looking for that 'NOs effect' you know? Steroids for plants lol.
I think the only real way to go there, is the technical - expensive way. Bottled gases of both Co2 & Oxygen and a digital controller to release & control both when required.
Does anyone have and use such an advanced system? Does it really boost your crop the way I (feverishly) imagine??
Stay safe

When I started up, all of my indoor grows were pretty much a box/tent in a room with an exhaust fan. Basically the grow space was just recycling air from the larger room, and I'd keep a window open to provide some freshness to the room air. Never had a ppm monitor in there, but I'm sure the CO2 levels weren't too high.

Then I made the jump to 8kw in a sealed room with a CO2 tank and a sentinel controller. A 50 lb tank has lasted 6 weeks so far and is still going strong. running at 1000-1300ppm during lights on, I can say that comparative to my old indoor grows it makes a big difference.

This is also coupled with the fact that we have the whole environment dialed now with a 37,000 btu split AC unit and more lighting than ever before.

So maybe this is an apples to oranges comparison, but the plants I'm growing now blow the old ones out of the water.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

Co2 tabs

Co2 tabs

Has anyone used those tablets, do you think they would be worth buying?

Exactly what I was wondering Nokturnal, hope someone posts & lets us know before we spend our sheckles!!
Stay safe :tiphat: