What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs LED vs HPS

Rocket Soul

Heres pics of their latest gen3 spectrum and efficiency nrs.
1A 3.19 umol/j
2A 3.01umol/j
3A 2.89 umol/j
4A 2.79 umol/j
5A 2.72 umol/j
View attachment 18905511

They are legit made; custom 3die white diodes with narrowband phosphors, custom reds with same epis and parts as cree xlg, nichia uvs, world leading in efficiency. Theyve not saved a dime anywhere on this. They look pricey on their web but remember its aus $ and to deduct sales tax if your outside of Australia.
Theyve actually reached out to me to try these strips in our grow, very happy to see how they run :)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
C.BANANA S1 #3... LED/CMH
DSCN8840.JPG

Ca++

I've had really good results in flowering using a Samsung 200W 2000K outdoors caster that is very rich yellow
Is that a Maui standard outdoor light?

Many won't realise, but Maui, in Hawaii, have implemented outdoor lighting regs, that limit blue content to 2%. We can expect to see this in other places soon. The blue is keeping us and nature awake, and is the main cause of the glow in the night sky from lighting. This is leading to lights 2000K and warmer being developed. Which I welcome, as a car owner, who wants street lighting and car lighting, to be different colours, again.

I know we have some pretty good LEDs for this job, but have not seen any that offer over 185lm/w. Which is a bit like a very good 3000K with the blue lowered, but no extra output of the other colours. This leads to little net difference in flower weight, as the 11% blue reduction, increases yield by a similar percentage (I have not done the exact maths, but I think 15%, giving 4% more bud weight)
What we need is less blue, to lead to more green. That will help them with colour temperature, while helping us with yield. Green seems to only be 5% less use to cannabis than red, so we could work with that.

This is a bit academic right now. A better area to pursue, is far red. Where adding 1w of FR to the main lighting, is like turning your lights down 3w. Presuming we grow cannabis.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Is that a Maui standard outdoor light?

Many won't realise, but Maui, in Hawaii, have implemented outdoor lighting regs, that limit blue content to 2%. We can expect to see this in other places soon. The blue is keeping us and nature awake, and is the main cause of the glow in the night sky from lighting. This is leading to lights 2000K and warmer being developed. Which I welcome, as a car owner, who wants street lighting and car lighting, to be different colours, again.

I know we have some pretty good LEDs for this job, but have not seen any that offer over 185lm/w. Which is a bit like a very good 3000K with the blue lowered, but no extra output of the other colours. This leads to little net difference in flower weight, as the 11% blue reduction, increases yield by a similar percentage (I have not done the exact maths, but I think 15%, giving 4% more bud weight)
What we need is less blue, to lead to more green. That will help them with colour temperature, while helping us with yield. Green seems to only be 5% less use to cannabis than red, so we could work with that.

This is a bit academic right now. A better area to pursue, is far red. Where adding 1w of FR to the main lighting, is like turning your lights down 3w. Presuming we grow cannabis.
No, It's just a regular outdoors Samsung LED , I just come from a time when 2000K was determinant of bud density and resin richness, and I simply applied the same concept to LED after analysing their spectra.
EDIT: I used that specific Samsung LED because it was the only 2000K white LED that was commercially affordable for me.

Ca++

I have not seen a 2000K white LED, except in prototypes. At the moment, filtered fittings are being used. Perhaps your light predates these regs, and has a touch more than 2% blue.
Here is a Philips 1900K with 1.8% blue. Made for retrofit, though I can't get one..
Lumileds-w-NightScapeTech.png

They do 3030 and 5050 sizes, in these nightscape offerings.
Other manufacturers will be gearing up for production, as more places adapt the new regs. I'm not sure I will see them in the UK though, as it's the cri of LED street lighting, that's taking us towards net zero

Perhaps they are of use to you, as their must be something we can get (by now)

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran

I'm not trying to spam, and I do apologize, but I have to say, that for being prototypes they are pretty damn easy to find...

Ca++

I'm not trying to spam, and I do apologize, but I have to say, that for being prototypes they are pretty damn easy to find...
I don't think you are off topic, though I might not of been clear. These lights don't apear to meet the 2% blue requirement I was talking about, and linking to. I did acknowledge you have a 2000K light, but that it probably doesn't meet the bill either. Though initially I thought you may of found one, which sparked my interest.

Ca++

Yes, I like PC amber. That is the first time I have seen it in fittings, which might suit my auxiliary lighting project. That might be Maui's answer until low blue lights become more available.
Options42PercentBlue-2048x906.png

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
oh , shit, sorry, I really misunderstood you there

because I didn't read the whole message,

please find it in your heart to forgive my brain fart 🙇‍♂️

Yes, [EDIT]: mine are cheap 2000k, they are in the CRI 80Ra (and even lower likely) range and very likely like you say
EDIT: for all i know I might have acquired a scam, but it does have the "reddest" white in my LED lamp collection.
sorry [EDIT 2:] and it might actually be because of the extra blue coming out that my buds have been getting foxtails....
(I'll burn in hell, I know) [EDIT 3]: 🤯

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts