What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs LED vs HPS

Another weight guy ? Shishh..
Valuable opinion nonetheless.

No issues getting weight with leds. These buds went in the trash because of quality, not weight!

20221105_104934.jpg

igrowone

Veteran
there was a post/link several pages back where a respectable study on cannibinoid differences was measured between hps/led
on the whole pretty similar with the exception being CBGA in larger proportions in the led grow
CBGA is notable for probable anti convulsant activity
and interestingly having the highest inhibition of covid 19 for any cannabinoid

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quality is within the genetics we grow. How well we grow them will determine how good it is at harvest. Testing LED vs HID isn't that hard.

Grow the same clone in 2 different tents. 1 with HID, 1 with LED. LED will need its own feed so that can't be kept the same. You will have your answer.

exoticrobotic

there was a post/link several pages back where a respectable study on cannibinoid differences was measured between hps/led
on the whole pretty similar with the exception being CBGA in larger proportions in the led grow
CBGA is notable for probable anti convulsant activity
and interestingly having the highest inhibition of covid 19 for any cannabinoid

CBG, however, is a CB1 antagonist, which means it can reduce the body's responsiveness to THC.

Yes and future leds will look like this:

Veg:
View attachment 18807700

Bloom;
View attachment 18807702

You take the dreaded blurple and divide it into blue heavy channel and red heavy channel. Like they should have always been. Switches are too complicated tho so you'll have to buy two separate lights until led toggle switch technology catches up.

Of course they are built wrong. The scene/industry spent decades promoting the concept of dedicated 27-2100K bloom and 4-10000K veg,only to turn around and sell everyone 3000K dual (neither) purpose crap. I don't know any kid who picked up an old high times and doesn't know blue for veg (roots), red for bloom (buds). This is the type of fraud that runs the world, hoping everyone forgets the obvious truth so they can sell more half assed crap.

If you look at the spectral peaks of the various cryptochromes, phytochromes, phototropins, zeitlupe, UVR8, chlorophylls, xanthophylls etc, you'll see none of these common led light manufactures are even trying to hit those peaks. The idea seems to be, we don't need phytochrome B D or E because we gave them phytochrome A, they should be happy with that until next year when we stick a 830nm chip on the board and call it the ZX model.
Yet you can flower with cmh, the only thing I don't get is if you use LEDs you get more root mass than with hps, isn't root mass important? Could plants become root bound and affect quality, maybe that is why there is a problem.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Not quite how it pans out with leds in my experience @cfl...KING

The buds stop growing and seem done with clear/cloudy trics a week or so earlier than with cmh.

The resin glands though are a lot smaller, no bulbous heads! There are more clear heads and less amber heads with led and the stalks are thicker than the heads with my led grows...
I'm saying with hid not led

GoatCheese

Veteran
Could be that some terpene profiles just have different spectral requirements than others.
It seems to be something like that.. But stress during blooming can also have big impact on these things when it gets bad enough

LED lighting affects the composition and biological activity of Cannabis sativa secondary metabolites

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0926669019301086

All my Cree cobs are 3500K, the light looks quite natural to me. I like them quite abit nice balance of blue and red in the spectrum and i'm happy with the smoke quality and yields - i'm just doing a test how much i can harvest with a plant in 3,5 liters of potting soil using 75 watts off the wall in my small tent= 25 watts each cob

61QxCII0dWL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:

Jaysways

LED grown garbage
3AE21843-F8B5-4E14-999F-7CBABABC2EB4.jpeg
DC4990A2-8723-4CF8-841D-DFC1C1A6A04B.jpeg
Taken at eight weeks, could go longer but need the room and this acid dawg lineos Some strong smoke even at eight weeks

Trichinae just starting to go amber ( whatever “dude” above said you do not get amber trichs with LEDs . At nine weeks this strain there are amber every where!

3C33BE65-8BA0-4EEA-93F1-AC9E95AEA626.png

597DB551-C8DF-4D44-9EE8-8F31D97657E2.png

1A70908C-8414-4EA3-AEB8-FD9CD0223B80.png

Some shots of poor LEDs buds chopped a tad early

15D93955-5058-4ABC-8094-AB6F25728CFD.jpeg
8DE051BD-9D47-4C0E-A154-605836714A85.jpeg
4EF5849C-B752-489B-A0EF-77F602E9185D.jpeg

kro-magnon

Veteran
LED grown garbage
View attachment 18808022 View attachment 18808023 Taken at eight weeks, could go longer but need the room and this acid dawg lineos Some strong smoke even at eight weeks

Trichinae just starting to go amber ( whatever “dude” above said you do not get amber trichs with LEDs . At nine weeks this strain there are amber every where!

View attachment 18808024
View attachment 18808025
View attachment 18808026

Some shots of poor LEDs buds chopped a tad early

View attachment 18808027 View attachment 18808028 View attachment 18808029
I'm sure it smells heavenly, I don't have any buds left of my last Acid Dawg harvest sadly, I'd like to be able to taste yours.
What Led are you using ? I'm on my first grow with a Lumatek 465w, I have turn it to 100% yesterday only day 12 of flowering, I don't know if it's too soon, I'll reduce to 75% if I see a bad reaction from the plants. So far I'm really happy with the growth the plants had, they look healthy, happy with the bigger trunks I've ever seen indoor at this stage. At harvest time I'll need an electric saw to cut those beasts

Jaysways

I'm sure it smells heavenly, I don't have any buds left of my last Acid Dawg harvest sadly, I'd like to be able to taste yours.
What Led are you using ? I'm on my first grow with a Lumatek 465w, I have turn it to 100% yesterday only day 12 of flowering, I don't know if it's too soon, I'll reduce to 75% if I see a bad reaction from the plants. So far I'm really happy with the growth the plants had, they look healthy, happy with the bigger trunks I've ever seen indoor at this stage. At harvest time I'll need an electric saw to cut those beasts
Hey bro, it does smell amazing even grown under LEDs lol.

That sounds like a beastly light bro, I currently use an fc 3000 Mars light and an sp3000 light , both 300 watt with Samsung diodes . In flower.

And in veg I use a 100watt migro array light.
My veg spot is super small but I can veg four plants in there in coco for like 5-7 weeks as it’s all auto irrigation.

With your light in flower mate I just wouldn’t go over a 1000ppfd of whatever it is. Not too good with terminology. Any higher and you will have problems, I don’t move my lights , I put my plants in room and let them stretch to there desired height, this is in flower by the way.

Jaysways

I try an use the right square foot of light by height and it seems to work well. What coverage does your light cover?

GoatCheese

Veteran
If the wattage is too much for your plants they will show it pretty quick = their leaves start losing the waxy shine and the color starts to go a bit pale. If it’s clearly over the top for the plants to handle they will start pointing their leaves down in 10-15 minutes.

If you see these symptoms then raise your light an extra 15cm or turn the power down a bit and see if things will improve by the next day.

Growing weed with leds is all about efficiency - finding the sweet spot between hanging height, coverage and watts off the wall.

Wall

I think a lot of people are too much about the intellectualization of culture. On a lot of scientific data, a lot of reports and mathematical calculations. Ganja is a queen plant! Consumed for pleasure (or medical use ..) it is an ancestral herb that the original growers worked with FEW MEANS, few foods, few modern tools. We can clearly see the young farmers who are in search of PROOFS, CALCULATIONS, points of comparison to provide, to PROVE, to demonstrate, to analyze.... Pfffff! What a HEADACHE! How can we grow cannabis by finding out if the plant tissues will be better with this or that light? Why look for evidence if the LEDs are small or large? How do you cultivate GANJA, with a computer? Electron microscopes? and test specimens? I've never read so much bullshit in my LIFE... EGO is a pathetic thing in the culture where everyone wants to DEMONSTRATE their VIRTUAL superiority on a Forum. It's distressing! I will always respect more a farmer who has little means, few artifices, few WATTS at his disposal and manages to harvest MUCH just by his "HAND" than dozens of little mathematicians filled with calculations at 20 Centimes... You don't not take advantage of the Essential! You are locked into an idiotic and childish logic of egocentric analysis. Even cheap Chinese LED panels do great work when you know how to grow GANJA... If you need 2000 materials to grow Ganja, you haven't UNDERSTOOD ANYTHING about Ganja. You are just small High Tech growers who wasted more time with your EGO than with reality...You want to demonstrate WHAT??? make you look for WHAT??? for Marijuana Scientists ???? Your cultures, your investments and your state of mind is on that??? On KNOWING if a lamp that comes from Pluto or Mars will be better than an LED??? 30 years ago people were growing with shitty HPS that we stole from football stadiums or from the streets if we had a high enough scale... LOL! Otherwise we sawed the post!!!! And now you are in Egocentric calculations and demonstrations without any interest. Go a little to Jamaica or Thailand... get closer to the original growers, see what they harvest with as little as possible... be humble to your favorite plant and stop talking so much bullshit about Ganja. They look like little kids in the schoolyard trying to get one dick longer than the other... You're out of place! We can give 2000w HSP or LED to a moron who will not be able to harvest properly.... and we can just give 200w to another who will release 200Gr because his mastery is not from High Tech, ridiculous calculations or of a tiring Egocentrism for everyone. Always do better with the minimum and stop COMPARING this or SUCH crap analysis. It just shows that you are not able to cultivate with the minimum parameters. You need to use 1000 ridiculous and useless parameters to collect... Travel a little! Go learn somewhere else! Trying to educate yourself a little about the minimal methods and how to best take advantage of the minimal, while ENJOYING your weed and its effects. There, you cultivate to make yourself look like mere caricatures of cultivators. And it doesn't amaze ANYBODY but becomes tiring to read so much analytical bullshit... Be yourself and enjoy the simplest. The best option will always be simplicity and not your ridiculous calculations which are useless on a forum of Ganja LOVERS... you are not LOVER of the plant but just of the intellectuals who NEEDED ridiculous calculations and database that leads to NOTHING in the love of the plant. Apart from pissing off growers who are in love, sincere and who grow in a SIMPLE way without pissing off others... Go a bit to Ganja growing countries, and see what REAL growers are doing!!!!! It's simple to stay behind a computer, looking for dismal evidence to THINK of impressing other virtual growers....don't waste your time with so much ridiculous bullshit. Because we don't give a fuck about it ENTIRELY and completely. It won't make you better growers but just prepubescent growers who believe a lot of bullshit about growing and waste a lot of time on masturbating mental analysis.

420empire

Veteran
Whats wall said^^!
Is true, if u master the true skill of a Green thumb u will learn what to look for, and react in proper time. The plants will tell u everything.
All grow lights can make decent herb, learn the basic. However when it comes to g/watt it seems like that LED is in front based on the results Bugbees team conducted. And then there is a lot of genetics which is too muddy, by this i mean alot of lines are not stable. Is common to just selfed and make s1, when it's shown that you have to move it to atleast S4. The same Goes for reg seeds, u need atleast F8 to get em lines more stables... so many factors to take in.
Nice thread! Keep the disscussion flowing :)

greencalyx

Premium user
I think a lot of people are too much about the intellectualization of culture. On a lot of scientific data, a lot of reports and mathematical calculations. Ganja is a queen plant! Consumed for pleasure (or medical use ..) it is an ancestral herb that the original growers worked with FEW MEANS, few foods, few modern tools. We can clearly see the young farmers who are in search of PROOFS, CALCULATIONS, points of comparison to provide, to PROVE, to demonstrate, to analyze.... Pfffff! What a HEADACHE! How can we grow cannabis by finding out if the plant tissues will be better with this or that light? Why look for evidence if the LEDs are small or large? How do you cultivate GANJA, with a computer? Electron microscopes? and test specimens? I've never read so much bullshit in my LIFE... EGO is a pathetic thing in the culture where everyone wants to DEMONSTRATE their VIRTUAL superiority on a Forum. It's distressing! I will always respect more a farmer who has little means, few artifices, few WATTS at his disposal and manages to harvest MUCH just by his "HAND" than dozens of little mathematicians filled with calculations at 20 Centimes... You don't not take advantage of the Essential! You are locked into an idiotic and childish logic of egocentric analysis. Even cheap Chinese LED panels do great work when you know how to grow GANJA... If you need 2000 materials to grow Ganja, you haven't UNDERSTOOD ANYTHING about Ganja. You are just small High Tech growers who wasted more time with your EGO than with reality...You want to demonstrate WHAT??? make you look for WHAT??? for Marijuana Scientists ???? Your cultures, your investments and your state of mind is on that??? On KNOWING if a lamp that comes from Pluto or Mars will be better than an LED??? 30 years ago people were growing with shitty HPS that we stole from football stadiums or from the streets if we had a high enough scale... LOL! Otherwise we sawed the post!!!! And now you are in Egocentric calculations and demonstrations without any interest. Go a little to Jamaica or Thailand... get closer to the original growers, see what they harvest with as little as possible... be humble to your favorite plant and stop talking so much bullshit about Ganja. They look like little kids in the schoolyard trying to get one dick longer than the other... You're out of place! We can give 2000w HSP or LED to a moron who will not be able to harvest properly.... and we can just give 200w to another who will release 200Gr because his mastery is not from High Tech, ridiculous calculations or of a tiring Egocentrism for everyone. Always do better with the minimum and stop COMPARING this or SUCH crap analysis. It just shows that you are not able to cultivate with the minimum parameters. You need to use 1000 ridiculous and useless parameters to collect... Travel a little! Go learn somewhere else! Trying to educate yourself a little about the minimal methods and how to best take advantage of the minimal, while ENJOYING your weed and its effects. There, you cultivate to make yourself look like mere caricatures of cultivators. And it doesn't amaze ANYBODY but becomes tiring to read so much analytical bullshit... Be yourself and enjoy the simplest. The best option will always be simplicity and not your ridiculous calculations which are useless on a forum of Ganja LOVERS... you are not LOVER of the plant but just of the intellectuals who NEEDED ridiculous calculations and database that leads to NOTHING in the love of the plant. Apart from pissing off growers who are in love, sincere and who grow in a SIMPLE way without pissing off others... Go a bit to Ganja growing countries, and see what REAL growers are doing!!!!! It's simple to stay behind a computer, looking for dismal evidence to THINK of impressing other virtual growers....don't waste your time with so much ridiculous bullshit. Because we don't give a fuck about it ENTIRELY and completely. It won't make you better growers but just prepubescent growers who believe a lot of bullshit about growing and waste a lot of time on masturbating mental analysis.

Gotta say, I disagree. I don't care as much about which light source is better than the others as much as I care about WHY one light source may work better. I'm just interested in learning exactly what the plant wants so I can get my conditions closer to that.

My efforts would be moot if there weren't the math/measurements done that allow us to say this works or thus doesn't work. Measurements allow others work to be reproduced or avoided (if it was bad).

I know bakers can bake without fancy mixers, or even measuring cups. My grandma never used them, but if she had gone through that effort, we would have recipes to be able to replicate what she created. Or perhaps even improve upon them.

I don't consider myself any less of a cook because I use measuring cups and recipes.

But I agree, if you are just speaking jargon and purposefully talking over peoples heads just to sound smart, you are doing it wrong. What is the point of sharing information, if your audience doesn't understand?

Unless I totally misunderstood what you were saying. I apologize if so

Latest posts

Latest posts