What's new

Cmh reflector/fixture - does bulb position really matter?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Getting ready to order a 315 cmh for a 3x3 tent.
Lots of options - adjustable reflector, enclosed fixture, air cooled or non. Remote ballast or built in.

But my biggest question is: for a tent with a single cmh fixture- does vertical or horizontal bulb position matter?

I've heard someone say that it only really matters when there is multiple fixtures with overlapping footprints. Seems opposite of my thinking.

Anyone have experience with both ways?

watts

ohms
Veteran
Vertical as in the bulb is placed vertically in the reflector instead of horizontally.

such as the Sun System LEC 315 RA Remote Grow Light Reflector

906257-01.jpg

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Vertical as in the bulb is placed vertically in the reflector instead of horizontally.

such as the Sun System LEC 315 RA Remote Grow Light Reflector

View Image
OK cool I didn't know they came that way (vertical bulb) So which one is better and why, vice just use X?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
And which reflectors are you using, zachary?

bought em off ebay for $185 for the entire setup -hydro crunch.. bulb,hood,ballast.. which sits outside the tent.. its an air cooled hood, but i took off the glass... also ditched the hydro crunch bulbs for philipps... but gotta say by 'eye' , i dont see any diff in brite-ness... very unscientific ...:biggrin:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
bought em off ebay for $185 for the entire setup -hydro crunch.. bulb,hood,ballast.. which sits outside the tent.. its an air cooled hood, but i took off the glass... also ditched the hydro crunch bulbs for philipps... but gotta say by 'eye' , i dont see any diff in brite-ness... very unscientific ...:biggrin:

How are the bulbs oriented in your hydrocrunch?

That kinda sounds like the options I want.
Remote ballast, option to air cool(if wanted) or remove glass.

What size duct flange ?
Was this fixture originally for a hps, and comes with a bulb converter?

watts

ohms
Veteran
Hydrofarm Phantom 315 reflector would be a good option for you Canna.

From my understanding, the vertical placed bulbs have better penetration and even coverage. More efficient. But you do lose a bit of height because the reflectors are taller.

For horizontal, Gavita makes the 600 Triplestar reflector and you can replace the inner reflector material. I think 4 of these in a 5x5 would be good.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
So I found kit.

Sunsystems vertical bulb reflector, remote ballast is a prism lighting science, comes with a Philips bulb. Cord is 10 but is extra I think.

Researching Prism reviews.

Also need to research if I can piece it out any cheaper and if it's worth to deal with multiple sellers.

Those hortilux cmh sound nice...

frostqueen

Hydrofarm Phantom 315 reflector would be a good option for you Canna.

From my understanding, the vertical placed bulbs have better penetration and even coverage. More efficient. But you do lose a bit of height because the reflectors are taller.

For horizontal, Gavita makes the 600 Triplestar reflector and you can replace the inner reflector material. I think 4 of these in a 5x5 would be good.

The Phantom is a great reflector with a vertical bulb. Uses a remote ballast instead of built in like the Sun System does. That may or may not appeal to you. I like my ballasts on the side.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
The Phantom is a great reflector with a vertical bulb. Uses a remote ballast instead of built in like the Sun System does. That may or may not appeal to you. I like my ballasts on the side.

Yes, I like the remote ballast.
I found a sunsystems fixture with a remote ballast.
I can find it coming with a sunsystems ballast or a prism lighting science ballast.

I think the phantom has an add-on kit to make the fixture air-cooled? Not sure if I would ever use it, but I really do like having the option in the future.

frostqueen

Yes, I like the remote ballast.
I found a sunsystems fixture with a remote ballast.
I can find it coming with a sunsystems ballast or a prism lighting science ballast.

I think the phantom has an add-on kit to make the fixture air-cooled? Not sure if I would ever use it, but I really do like having the option in the future.

I originally got the phantom for the air cooling option, but I have never needed it. It is amazing how cool 315s run.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A well engineered vertical reflector, designed specifically for your space, will give a more even illumination that is worth the loss in overall illumination. I have not seen one yet. Instead I find stucko designs, implementing the scatter everywhere approach. Each time the light is reflected you can say roughly 10% is lost. So a reflector that even sends some light back to itself is very wasteful. It least with horizontal lamps, some light goes direct to the plants.

Imagine if vertical was as good. With just a single hanging point, greenhouse installations could be a lot less work. I have never seen one used professionally though. Not since the old green paneled Thorn Lighting mercury fittings came down in the 90s

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Thanks for all your help everyone.

I decided for my first 315 order I will get the vertical bulb sunsystems reflector with remote ballast. Comes with Phillips 3100K bulb

I'm needing a couple more lights for my new tents. I may try a cheaper horizontal bulb model on my next purchase.

I have been planning on expanding with new bloom tents, but my 400 hps died, and the temporary backup 250hps sucks in the 3x3. So this 315 cmh will replace the 250, the new tents will just have to wait for their lighting.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
When i first saw the 315's in real life i thought it doesen't matter if horizontal or vertical placed because the light comes from a spherical shape and not a tube.