What's new

CMH Lighting Gear Selection for 4'x4' Tent Chamber

I'm redesigning my light setup and need some feedback. Will probably make a purchase today or tomorrow. I'm using a 3-1 grow tent, main chamber is 4'x4'. I was using one lower end 315 CMH light setup. This needs replaced, and it was definitely not enough light. Seems like a good opportunity to upgrade. I'd like to keep costs low but am willing to pay more if it makes sense.

My options:
  • Two entry level 315W CMH fixtures ($120-$180/per, one may be replaced under warranty)
  • Growers Choice GC-630NS 630W CMH Dual-Bulb ($470-$550)
  • Gravita Pro 630e SE CMH ($600) [My inclination is to learn towards GC products]
  • Growers Choice Master Pursit 500w CMH ($420)
Also looking at some used gear on Craigslist...
  • Growers Choice 1000W DE Fixture - (USED, $275 w bulb). Concerns: 1) HEAT MANAGEMENT, 1000W is high in 4x4 and I read they shouldn't be aircooled, and 2) BULB LIFESPAN (heard DE have reduced life). Maybe I could modify my tent and remove the side chamber to make it a 5'x4' grow tent?
  • I can also get USED 400W HPS-MH setup or two 250W HPS-MH setups. They aren't CMH though, so this would only make sense if I want to delay my real light upgrade.
Thoughts? I've run 315W CMH, I want 500W+. 630W CMH seems to make sense. Is 1000W in a 4'x4' stupid? What's the best brand and best value for a 500W-750W CMH setup?

Thanks!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have a 4x3.5ft tent- i am using '2' ebay bought 315's, added phillip bulbs- i don't think its enough light... i have added '2' cheap led's i bought a while ago to bump up the lighting ... last grow b4 plants went into the tent, i hung one of my 1000watt hps/mh - the temp went upto 108f , n that was on a cold 20degree day outside , so 1000w is a non starter for me

maybe the growers choice setup will provide more light then the ebay unit i bought... maybe someone can chime in with more knowledge then i have...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wouldn't try a 4x4 with 315. Some say a 315 can replace a 600, but I feel it's heat control that benefited them. 600 a meter is a standard that can be stretched out to a 4x4, However that's 400w a meter. I wouldn't want a 400w per meter grow tbh and the idea of 315 over 1.5 meters, just 200w a meter, is a non-starter. I'm surprised you could grow anything.

200w a meter... No point.
400w a meter... If I must.
600w a meter.... That's where the real action is, if you can run flat out without tripping over for a full cycle.

450-500w a meter will get you that half a Kg that most people want from a meter.

Like Zach I would pop a phillips in your cmh, and add some LED around the edges. LED does better per Watt. It would be nice to find a 50w unit for each corner. Though most 50w lights will be low quality crap, and as such, won't be kept. A known 50w COB is what you want. Or forget perfect symmetry and get a couple of bar lights. 120w seems a commonly available size. In the future you may find yourself buying two more bars and taking out the cmh. Giving over 300w a meter of LED (480w over 1.5 meter) Which can also give that half Kg a meter. If they are good bars.

Latest posts

Latest posts