What's new

Closet Grow - DELUXE

ozzieAI

Veteran
nice set up you have going there, however i have read a fair bit about ozone damaging plants and generators should be used in a lung room (exhaust) rather than where the plants are growing. ozone is also harmful to humans as well in the form of lung damage...

be safe and happy growing...

Green Devil

nice set up you have going there, however i have read a fair bit about ozone damaging plants and generators should be used in a lung room (exhaust) rather than where the plants are growing. ozone is also harmful to humans as well in the form of lung damage...

be safe and happy growing...

Both yes and no.
Powerful ozon generators can harm both animals and plants, however, this one is not that powerful.

Creates a continuously good indoor environment in homes, offices, schools, kindergartens
Reduces risk of infection, removes bad odors, mold and particles
Used for both remediation and for continuous use in homes, schools, healthcare, office, nursery, etc..

Ozone level never rises above 0.04 ppm, if the unit is used as directed.

Thanks! =)

BJSensei

Wow Mr Green Devil you must be from Polen. You put tiles on the floor , electric wiring, mount drywalls, build complete ventilation systems and put wallpapers (mylars). Is there anything you cant do?

you must work as a carpenter.
Im really impressed.

Eager to se some pics of some ladys though....

whazzup

Veteran
Aren't you going to use any additional HPS? Surely with the plasma lamps in a tube there is not much heat built up in the room by the plasma luminaires, so with about 250 effective m3/h you could very easily cool that room. I think you lose a lot of pressure in your ducting at the moment. You only need about 150 m3/h to cool your plasma lamps. If you make a separate circuit for that (intake/exhaust) that is air that doesn't need to go through your filter and only requires a very small fan. Keeping the ducting, fan and filter straight in one line, no corners, will dramatically increase your cooling capacity of the room.

I don't understand your ventilating system very well when I look at it on the picture. You seem to suck air through a filter but also directly out of the room through the two left LEPs. Also it seems you have the two fans trailing each other? That would help minimize pressure losses with all those corners but it will not increase the amount of air that you can extract, the max capacity of the fan limits that.

I would not recommend to extract through the leps, that will generate pressure losses in your system.

I would still recommend to even the spectrum of the leps, specifically because you have the 41.01 which have less red than the 41.02. With this abundance of LEP adding at least one 600W will bring more balance in your spectrum and will be much more efficient.

whazzup

Veteran
I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right, but do you use a less diameter pipe than the flange size of your fans?

I promise you this: if you connect the filter directly in-line with your last extraction fan and use the other to cool your leps in a separate circuit that would increase your cooling capacity dramatically. Also make sure that the filter flange size matches your ducting and fan, and I'm not sure if your filter does. You increase pressure drop and noise reducing the diameter of your ducting.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Have you made the lighting/exhaust system adjustable as far as hieght?
Are you pulling unfiltered air through those 2 lights that have the open ends?
Lots of 90 bends will reduce your ability to cool that area dramatically.
1 90 bend can reduce flow as much as 40 percent...just 1. You have how many...? I count 4 before it leaves the room. Any more after that?
It is tough to see the design with the pictures you have put up.

Green Devil

Wow Mr Green Devil you must be from Polen. You put tiles on the floor , electric wiring, mount drywalls, build complete ventilation systems and put wallpapers (mylars). Is there anything you cant do?

you must work as a carpenter.
Im really impressed.

Eager to se some pics of some ladys though....

No I'm not from Poland and neither am I a carpenter, but thanks for the.. uhm.. compliment I guess?

Have you made the lighting/exhaust system adjustable as far as hieght?
Are you pulling unfiltered air through those 2 lights that have the open ends?
Lots of 90 bends will reduce your ability to cool that area dramatically.
1 90 bend can reduce flow as much as 40 percent...just 1. You have how many...? I count 4 before it leaves the room. Any more after that?
It is tough to see the design with the pictures you have put up.

I haven't made the lamps adjustable in height if that is what you mean.

At the moment I am pulling unfiltered air through those two lights yes.

When looking at the temperature at the moment I do not have any problems with the temperature (regardless if the fans are on or off).
My primary goal with the ventilation system is not to cool the closet - since there is no need for that (at least not yet).

No more bends after that.
Space is limited, but if you have another solution, please let me know!

Aren't you going to use any additional HPS? Surely with the plasma lamps in a tube there is not much heat built up in the room by the plasma luminaires, so with about 250 effective m3/h you could very easily cool that room. I think you lose a lot of pressure in your ducting at the moment. You only need about 150 m3/h to cool your plasma lamps. If you make a separate circuit for that (intake/exhaust) that is air that doesn't need to go through your filter and only requires a very small fan. Keeping the ducting, fan and filter straight in one line, no corners, will dramatically increase your cooling capacity of the room.

I don't understand your ventilating system very well when I look at it on the picture. You seem to suck air through a filter but also directly out of the room through the two left LEPs. Also it seems you have the two fans trailing each other? That would help minimize pressure losses with all those corners but it will not increase the amount of air that you can extract, the max capacity of the fan limits that.

I would not recommend to extract through the leps, that will generate pressure losses in your system.

I would still recommend to even the spectrum of the leps, specifically because you have the 41.01 which have less red than the 41.02. With this abundance of LEP adding at least one 600W will bring more balance in your spectrum and will be much more efficient.

Today, I have no plans of adding a high pressure sodium lamp to the closet.
I believe it would cause heat problems.
I have however plans to add three LED lamps when switching to 12/12 light cycle.

I think so too to be honest (that I lose air flow with the ducting), and I might change this if I experience problems with the ventilation in the future.

But once again, I do not have problems with the temperature.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing this right, but do you use a less diameter pipe than the flange size of your fans?

I promise you this: if you connect the filter directly in-line with your last extraction fan and use the other to cool your leps in a separate circuit that would increase your cooling capacity dramatically. Also make sure that the filter flange size matches your ducting and fan, and I'm not sure if your filter does. You increase pressure drop and noise reducing the diameter of your ducting.

The fans are 100mm, as are all the pipes.
The LEP are 150mm, same goes for the bigger fan which is 150/160mm.

And you are right regarding the noise.
Larger diameter for the air to flow equals less noise.

negative37dBA

Veteran
So I am thinking that your carbon scrubber will be bypassed if you use it that way and you will have smell comming from your cab. Those 2 open lights are lettting unflitered air through your system. That kind of defeats the purpose of a carbon filter. 3 points of air cooled light in that space is complex for venting I admit, but you have to get that scubber filtering the air or that would be a big security risk.
I would want to be able to get my lights at the proper hieght for my canopy especially with hydro. With soiless you can always put something under each pot but with hydro..not so much.
Not comming down on you.. I like the build.. just want you to get good results. The proper environment is more than half the battle.

Green Devil

So I am thinking that your carbon scrubber will be bypassed if you use it that way and you will have smell comming from your cab. Those 2 open lights are lettting unflitered air through your system. That kind of defeats the purpose of a carbon filter. 3 points of air cooled light in that space is complex for venting I admit, but you have to get that scubber filtering the air or that would be a big security risk.
I would want to be able to get my lights at the proper hieght for my canopy especially with hydro. With soiless you can always put something under each pot but with hydro..not so much.
Not comming down on you.. I like the build.. just want you to get good results. The proper environment is more than half the battle.

Yes, the environment is probably more than half the battle!
And I appreciate all the tips, however the air is filtered once again before leaving the closet out to the kitchen through a HEPA filter!

I might block the other two LEP lamps (but then they wouldn't get cooled) or maybe put a filter in front of them.

Are you suggesting that the lamps would be to far away in the vegetative phase?
Have you use LEP yourself by the way?

Green Devil

if you have the money check out black dog leds there bad ass

Money is not really my problem!
Couldn't find out if they use Cree or Philips 5w LED chip so I just mailed them!

Don't want to use Epistar "wanna be" 5w led chip, even though I think they make better light spectrums (nm)

negative37dBA

Veteran
And I appreciate all the tips, however the air is filtered once again before leaving the closet out to the kitchen through a HEPA filter!

I might block the other two LEP lamps (but then they wouldn't get cooled) or maybe put a filter in front of them.

No experience with the LEP. Watching and learning with those. I assume less heat is put out therefore less need for cooling. Thats excellent. Does distance from the plants not matter..I thought that lumen loss would occur as distance increased with any lights?

That ozone may negate needing anymore carbon filtration. I would like to see. I dont think a HEPA filter will stop pot odors from comming through.
Lets get some plants rolling! Cant wait.

Green Devil

No experience with the LEP. Watching and learning with those. I assume less heat is put out therefore less need for cooling. Thats excellent. Does distance from the plants not matter..I thought that lumen loss would occur as distance increased with any lights?

That ozone may negate needing anymore carbon filtration. I would like to see. I dont think a HEPA filter will stop pot odors from comming through.
Lets get some plants rolling! Cant wait.

Yes, it is basically just the lights that generate significant amounts of heat.

Here's the thing.
Everyone is talking about the optimum pH, and optimum temperature and the list goes on.

But how much does it really matter..
Obviously you shouldn't have a ridiculously low/high temperature or pH but when it comes to X.4 or X.5 in temperature/pH - what will the difference be?

You might be able to measure some differences in the plant, at the university lab but will it be a noticeable difference?
I say no.

Maybe the plants will be ready for flowering 1 day earlier if I put the lights closer, but it's OK - I don't have pepper in my ass - I can wait a day longer!

Come to me when you have something that will make a significant difference in yield.

This is something I see A LOT, especially among cannabis growers.

Anyway, the seeds arrived today so I will start germinate them tomorrow!

negative37dBA

Veteran
Yes, it is basically just the lights that generate significant amounts of heat.

Here's the thing.
Everyone is talking about the optimum pH, and optimum temperature and the list goes on.

But how much does it really matter..
Obviously you shouldn't have a ridiculously low/high temperature or pH but when it comes to X.4 or X.5 in temperature/pH - what will the difference be?

You might be able to measure some differences in the plant, at the university lab but will it be a noticeable difference?
I say no.

Maybe the plants will be ready for flowering 1 day earlier if I put the lights closer, but it's OK - I don't have pepper in my ass - I can wait a day longer!

Come to me when you have something that will make a significant difference in yield.

This is something I see A LOT, especially among cannabis growers.

Anyway, the seeds arrived today so I will start germinate them tomorrow!

So the answer to your first question would be no then...the lights do put out a lot of heat.

Distance from the lights to the plant will have a significant effect on yield.(lower, the farther away)
Very small differences in PH, especially in hydro will have a significant effect on yield.(lower) Also can effect uptake of nutes & cause lockouts.
High temps will also have a significant effect on yield.(lower) Also can lead to a host of other problems with pest and disease.

Green Devil

So the answer to your first question would be no then...the lights do put out a lot of heat.

Distance from the lights to the plant will have a significant effect on yield.(lower, the farther away)
Very small differences in PH, especially in hydro will have a significant effect on yield.(lower) Also can effect uptake of nutes & cause lockouts.
High temps will also have a significant effect on yield.(lower) Also can lead to a host of other problems with pest and disease.

No, the lights do not put out a lot of heat.

And I disagree with you, from my own experience.
You say very small differences, such as .X/.Y, in temperature and pH will cause significant amount of loss in yield - this however is something I've never experienced. And I've been growing for quite some time now.

I have never seen a noticeable difference in my yields, because of slight changes in pH/temperature.
And I only grow in aeroponic system.

But maybe you and I have different opinions regarding what is significant and what is not.

Attachments

• IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 9

Green Devil

I am seeing a contradiction in your statements. Like exactly oposite of each other within 2 posts. Makes you wonder what your talking about.

I meant in general.
There is not much in a grow room that generate heat except for the lights.

Even the LEP does generate heat (significant compared to other electrical equipment)!.

Sorry for the mistake!
And sorry if I insulted you in any way!

Got the seeds today, hopefully everything will be up and running at the end of this week!

Attachments

• IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10

negative37dBA

Veteran
I meant in general.
There is not much in a grow room that generate heat except for the lights.

Even the LEP does generate heat (significant compared to other electrical equipment)!.

Sorry for the mistake!
And sorry if I insulted you in any way!

Got the seeds today, hopefully everything will be up and running at the end of this week!

I get it. No problem. Looking forward to the seed popping fest.
Should be a good ride.

whazzup

Veteran

I agree with negative37dbs, and that hepa filter will not filter the smell from the room. You are bypassing your carbon filter.

I would really recommend to change your configuration. Your fans will not do much more than 200 m3/h, and in the current configuration much less. One of those fans is enough to cool all three plasma lamps: Just connect the three tubes in series and blow through them. 50 m3/h is more than enough to cool a plasma lamp so 200 m3/h should do the job even with losses. Keep the ducting 150 directly from the fan to make the system as quiet as possible. Use air from outside the room and blow air also directly out of the room.

Then hang your filter direct in front of the extraction fan. The hepa filter, if that's behind you carbon filter then remove it. You should have on the intake fan to prevent stuff coming in. 200 m3/h extraction (120 - 140 effective) should be more than enough for the low heat generation from the plasma lamps, but not enough to add any HID lamp. For that I would go to 300-500 m3/h. Still the small fan would be enough for the AC leps.

Given the low amount of red in this combo I would recommend to add red double spectrum LED already in veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts