What's new

Cloning with superthrive

T

The_Core

Anyone have any experience cloning with superthrive? Does it work good? Or is it better to get something like clonex?

L

LEX-UK

I soak cubes,plugs, coco with super thrive and use the gels for root hormone, not really sure if the hormones r the same in the gel and s.thrive.

T

The_Core

Thanks LEX-UK I will just buy the clonex and use that. I thought superthrive could be used for cloning, maybe it will work but just not as good as clonex.

Superthrive doesn't have rooting hormones. You still have to get a rooting gel (Wilsons or something). I always use Superthrive as an additive to the EZ clone reservoir or medium soaking solutions. Naturally the dose is fairly low.

T

The_Core

Thanks Dr. Buddington, I will use a rooting gel or powder and also mix in the superthrive to the water. I think that will work out great.

L

LEX-UK

Thanks Dr. Buddington, I will use a rooting gel or powder and also mix in the superthrive to the water. I think that will work out great.

Most certainly will! Gd lk.

I tend to put 4drips per ltr for this. Super thrives always good to have around.

T

The_Core

LEX-UK have you did a side by side comparison using superthrive and not and see a noticeable different on roots or the stems, leaves etc? Just curious how big a difference it makes.

joe guy

For the gel I've been using the dutch masters replacitaor I havnt one wilt over yet... with the clonex I usualy allway have to use a tooth pick to prop them up for day or two till they can support them self... and u get 2 full ounces insted of 15 ml... I belive I payed 11 dolars for mine and the clone ex is 6... plus the dutch says its a cut stem sealent (meaning it sucks the air bubble out so no need to cut under water) and micro climate stabilizer.. what ever the hell that mean.... anyway way better deal on the gel if that's ur preffrence I've read alota guy using a rooting powder from home depot that waorks awsome too and only like 4 bucks... but I like to stick with what I know...lol hope it gave u few options that'll help out....

L

LEX-UK

Not a side by side but since using s.thrive I get 100% rate and from memory I get more of a root system in the same time period. I actually got it for stressed plants but it sure doesn't hurt your cuttings lol.
I'm actually taking cuts over weekend I will treat some with n some without.. In root riot cubes for you. Super thrive goes a long way and has a good shelf life.

L

LEX-UK

I'm not big into additives n what not but superthrive is one ill always have handy.

Also I only soak my cubes in a s.thrive solution n add cut n leave no water until roots appear keeping in a progater, blow into vents daily for co2.

You probably know this as you just asking about the hormones lol getting carried away with myself sorry chap.

T

The_Core

Thanks Joe Guy, LEX-UK and Shafto. For sure I will use superthrive and Maybe try out that dutch master replicator. See how that works out. The oxycloner doesnt use spray jets it uses Deep Water Culture. I imagine that the dutch master gel will still work with DWC?

jamminman

I have not used rooting gel or powder for YEARS, never saw a difference. When I have superthrive, I use like a whole eye dropper full per half gal and use in the "ghetto clone" way (perlite). It does get things rolling faster and more aggressive, but also does the same for mold and algae. So after a while I just started reserving it for sluggish harder to root cuttings. Been pretty lucky I guess to like plants thats that happen to be naturally aggressive rooters.

jamminman

I also find I get less wilting and mold problems without covers, in the open air. No fans though, still, but open air.

joe guy

2012-09-27 20.27.13.jpg

2012-09-27 20.26.54.jpg

Here is 5 days with the masta.. its my first try with it and gota say it works lol usualy taks me 7 to 10 to get roots like that with the x... but yeh I'm sure it would work fine in ur set up if clone x works then it will to... good luck with ur babies...
Edit: sorry guys/ gals I lied it was 6 days since I took those cuts...lol

Last edited:
T

The_Core

Those look great for 5 days, roots poking out and everything. The cutting looks great. Can I find that replicator stuff at the dam? Or will I need to order it off the net?

joe guy

I got mine from the local hydro shop I frequent 3 of them and only 1 had it in stock and 2 knew what what I was talking about but all said they could order it... s I'm sure with in a few dys u could get it I would go with.the shop that way ur not ordering shit and putting jr name and addy out there like that... may just be my parinoid ass but that's how'd about ordering it... but gota say I'm impressed with it the wife wants me to do a side by side and see what dose better... kind want to aslo and maybe try the 4 dollar homdepot power too and see if were buying is snake oil... lol but any wa its an option for you just wana say I'm happy with it....

T

The_Core

Thanks Joe. I was looking on YouTube for a side by side comparison but I didn't find anything definitive. I am from the states but living in Europe right now, they have Juicy Roots over here and Advanced Nutrients jump start. I am looking around on the net to see how good they are. Let me know if you find anything!

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the UK it can only be found in hydro shops , which should start alarm bells ringing as to its worth.

Shaved a day off nominal seven days rooting time in a bubbler , but seemed to promote desease and root rots , love the old style packageing and at least its inexpensive , but probably unnecessary.

picture.php

Hard to believe a product can do all this , with little proof.