What's new

Cloning with JJScorpio

intotheunknown

Veteran
great thread here JJ, very useful info.
i have a question for you or anyone who wants to chime in. i need some help simply with acquiring new clones.
i have a chance to get some 5 week old clones. but the thing is that they are being taken care of as of now via hydro.
i on the other hand am doing organic soil. if i do take them am i going to have problems planting them in the organic soil and switching things up on them? or will they have no problem adjusting?
really need help asap. thanks!

also in the first few posts where you were giving step by step procedures, would it be ok to mist them without any flowering ferts, and just use water? i use guano teas so it would be a little tricky to spray that...

Travieso

nice thread jj. just switched over to rapid rooters from rockwool and they seem to get roots a few days earlier. rapid rooters from now on.

junkyarddog

This has been a great thread for me. I've tried several different cloning methods with mixed results. About three months ago, after finding this thread, I started using the rapid rooter method with the best results I've ever gotten. I have a perpetual grow so I've had to do a few things differently, such as not spraying as often, but I still have close to a 100% success rate. I have a diesel strain that was taking about three weeks to root and still is but with much greater success. Thanks JJ.

junkyarddog

Intotheunknown: I have gone from hydro to soil with no ill effects. As long as the plants are healthy they should make the transition easily. It might be a good idea to flush them well with plain water before you transplant.

Sparky 6

Well I'm giving this another try, cut the clones about a week ago and they're looking good but no roots yet. I used the method of wrapping the clone where I want roots to start with cotton from Q-tip or cotton ball while it's drenched in rooting hormone. I'm hoping that makes a difference.

I am glad I found this thread!

I cut some clones about 3-4 weeks ago and stuck them in rockwool and they still haven't shown any root out the bottom. Granted the roots could be inside the rockwool, they should have shown by now. They are far from dead, actually in the last week I have started to get new growth. I think I was overwatering, I kept the rockwool sitting in about 1/4 of a inch of PH 6.5 water.

I need to read all 40 pages of this thread. Thanks!

Barahng

Should I expect the leaves to droop and sometimes die off? One of my cutting has had the majority of it's leaves fall off, and I'm worried if it will live. This recent batch of cuttings was taken 3 days ago. Also, how long can a cutting survive without roots and still be viable?

Last edited:
i'm in similar situation as Barahang, so will try not to repeat the question, but am getting a little droopy, maybe lighter, and a few "twisting" leaves. I have 8 of em in coco in an aquarium, such a cliche but thinking I water-ed too much (!)... Trying to dry it out a bit and maybe let the heat creep up (I've been 71-78 degrees on day four now).

any thoughts? tia

I liked this guys setup btw, man his 2 story ghetto greenhouse isn't all that ghetto if you check it out in the other videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ahWqyJ-tpM&feature=related

Morpheen

After SOOOO MUCH Aggravation and Frustration:wallbash:
After trying so many different methods like different substrates (I.E. rockwool, rapid-rooters, perlite/mix) and various environments (Humidity dome, no dome, GH) ect...
I finally came to the conclusion...I SUCK AT CLONING!!:bashhead:

Ironically, I always have a high success rate germinating...

Anyways, I built myself a KingRalph's version Aerocloner and I'll NEVER look back...

My success rate went from 5-10% to 95-100%:jump:

Set it and forget it...for about 7-12 days, ROOTS...GLORIOUS ROOTS!!

:tiphat:Dutch

Sparky 6

Yeah I'm finally having success also. So far 7 of 10 have rooted and the rest probably will soon enough. Patience is necessary but I found that forcing roots by keeping them a little dry after a week or two works. It's the same sort of theory as waiting to water plants until they're fairly dry to make the roots go looking for water.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Just finished reading this thread...what a great resource! I too suck at cloning (though I'm only on my second attempt). I'm almost positive my new clones aren't going to root, but we'll see. I think my biggest problem is that I'm using RockWool in semi-flat bottomed tray, which means it's difficult to keep them at the perfect moisture content (either too wet, or they dry up too quick).

Needless to say, I WILL be getting a Rapid Rooter tray and medium. I think that those small changes alone will mean success on my next go round.

Sticky this!

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Lot's of different way's to clone. Here's a couple of mine.

38 CLONES IN JIFFY PELLETS

picture.php

ALL HAVE ROOTS

picture.php

HIKO TRAY, 60/40 COCO/PERLITE MIX

picture.php

40 CLONES SOON TO PUT OUT ROOTS

picture.php

Each method has the following common components.

1. Well fed and hydrated mums.
  2. Cut clone, not too big though. I'm not fussy with angle of cut or cutting under water.
  3. Trim fan leaves and just rip lower ones off. The wound this creates exposes the Cambium layer and roots will form at these points as well as the bottom.
  4. Dip in Clonex purple.
  5. Insert in preferred medium. Deeply, cover any exposed Cambium layer.
  6. Place on bottom heat, 24C or 75F. Mist once.
  7. Dome on, under 2x36W cfl, 18/6 light cycle.
  8. Remove dome at 5 days.
  9. At 7 days feed with seaweed extract.
  10. At 14 days clones should be in veg mode, roots rapidly developing.
And one more thing, don't prod, poke or pull them, leave them alone. Patience.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I also take clones from lateral growth 2 weeks into 12/12 in a ebb/flow, single cola SOG. No worries.

Sparky 6

Thank you High Country. Truth is every clone thread I've read skips steps and have me wondering what to do. Yours did not.

I have a similar greenhouse and my clones produce roots like you show, but I never knew to go into those hiko trays next to let them develop longer roots etc before planting. Never seen that step before in cloning threads so thank you very much.

I've been doing something similar- I get the roots going in the greenhouse like you then throw them in a plastic cup for it's first planter, but I'm going to invest in a hiko tray and some coco/perlite.