What's new

Cloning with JJScorpio

snufkin

Yeah, I am probably gonna go with couple of different ways if no one reveals any ultimate ways of storing clones. The air quality nor oxygen level won't be a problem since I got a friend who's willing to change the water every week or two.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed tho, just to make sure that I have few clones to come back.
:smokeit: btw these Christmas smilies rock, can't wait to light that special Christmas tree on 24th

And thanks dodo for the tips:eggnog:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never stored clones in a fridge, so I can't say. I have had people say they have kept them for a few weeks but I don't know for sure.

C

cellardweller

I've never stored clones in a fridge, so I can't say. I have had people say they have kept them for a few weeks but I don't know for sure.

JJ,
I, and many friends, store extra clones in the fridge until we need them. They can last for up to a month, and in some cases, alot longer.

Treat them as you would any other clone. Wrap the bottom of the cuttings in wet paper towel, not too wet, but not too dry. Place them in a ziploc bag and then into the vegetable crisper. I keep a couple of layers of papertowel underneath, but just in the drawer, to help insulate. You want to keep any excess moisture off the green leafs as it will cause mold in the new growth tips. Another tip is to put the ziploc in a paper bag just to help insulate. Think "stasis"..

If the fridge is way too cold, they will die. you can use a bunch of basil as a test..put it in a ziploc, in the crisper. If it freezes overnight, then it's too cold, and you should turn your fridge up a bit. say from 6-7 setting back to 3-setting for example. Your food will still stay fresh, but you won't be killing clones left and right. This is the problem people have when they say this doesn't work.
peacenpot,
~dubs

edit: when I first came here, I found this thread and this was how I cloned my first time. It worked pretty well, but I have changed the way I clone since then..

snufkin

I've now had few clones in the fridge for a little over month just to test if I'll have any chance of storing for three months. They are in a small case which is filled with water and instead of lid I covered the top with aluminum foil and poked some holes where I placed the clones. So basically the cut end is constantly in water. So far it's looking pretty good, some have lost a little colour but nothing serious. The day before yesterday I put one that had already rooted into soil and looks like its starting to grow just as well as a fresh clone.

C

cellardweller

I dunno about 3 months there snuf..most I can get is just about 2 months..then again my fridge is set @ 40f, and I keep my ziploc in a paper grocery bag. Keeping them in water like that, they are fading because even in the dark, they are feeding off that water. cup o water is good for the short term, not so good for the long term..again, you wanna think stasis..stall the plant..:chin:
hope this helps, I wouldn't wanna see you lose any cuttings.
~cd

snufkin

All right, thats good to know. Gonna try my luck with the papertowels and ziploc bags, maybe leave one or two in the case just to see what happens. Appreciate the help :)

chronisseur

ummmm, sorry if im missing the obvious but if u have a friend coming every couple weeks could you not rig up a table/tray and have him/her flood the thing (test b4 u leave so u get it to absorb in a day or two max).. you could get away with a once a week visit then!

you would have to root them first of course.. if you had a aero cloner or bubbler that could run itself and they could check stats, change water every 3 weeks no prob... or just pass along a cut of each of ur favorites to other growers or someone willing to keep a CFL and a few moms in their closet for however long uir gone, and then take em back - or just a cut - when ur ready..?

your clones will eventually die in a glass of water so it will be a waste of everyones time

chronisseur

glass of water or fridge, I dont think you can safely induce stasis for that long.. shit, if they root and survice then Im just going to throw my cuttings into the fridge in a bag of water from now on..

FinestKind

You could try a rubbermaid, as long as you had a way to keep the RR upright, and kept them hydrated. With the dome, you have a tray beneath it with water in it, that helps keep things humid. I bought the tray, holder and cover for $9.99.

Surrounding them in moss or perlite would keep the light off the roots when they were exposed. You could give it a try, and see how it works.

I didn't read every single response to this thread (there are just too many!), so maybe this question was asked and answered somewhere else.

You say here (but not in the tutorial) that you have a tray beneath with water in it- is that something you do, too? Keep the tray filled with water?

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeat question.

FK

FinestKind

One other question: have to tried the Rapid Rooters according to the directions they came with? (Adding 16 oz of H2O every 2 or 3 days to the bottom of the tray in order to keep the plugs hydrated is I believe how it's worded- unfortunately I threw the packaging out) If so, did you have any success with this method, or is it more effective to add a teaspoon every couple of days? I'm just trying to be lazy here, and adding a teaspoon to every cutting seems a bit... labor intesive. :D

Thanks again.

MY worked great but I did not pre soak them wet at first when i took the cuts this time I only added water at day 4 and day 7 they where rooted most of them day 8 I added more water and they all came out!!!very happy

FinestKind

MY worked great but I did not pre soak them wet at first when i took the cuts this time I only added water at day 4 and day 7 they where rooted most of them day 8 I added more water and they all came out!!!very happy

How much water did you add at day 4 and 7? Thanks.

junkyarddog

Wow! I finally got through to the last page. What a great thread, JJ. I've learned so much. I have tried many different ways to clone, including bubblers, rockwool, etc. Lately, I have been cloning in 4" pots filled with perlite with about 75% success but my favorite strain (Diesel) takes three or more weeks to root and give me the lowest success rate. I haven't been using any rooting hormones and keep them under a 40w flourescent. Main problem is they take up so much space which I don't have much of.

I bought some rr plugs a couple days ago and have started six clones so far. Sill have to get some heat under them and maybe a little more direct light. I'm excited to see the results. It would make cloning so much easier and less demanding spacewise if these little plugs work for me. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the great ideas!

T

THC_Decapitator

the secret is to love the mother plant and play nice music to her . Then kiss the clones twice before dipping into rooting compound .
Happy vibes = happy plants

FinestKind

Well, first attempt with the Rapid Rooters and so far, very, very impressed. My White Widows had taken a minimum of 3 weeks to root previously, so when I went to check them today at 1 week, 6 days I wasn't expecting to see anything. And even when I found roots, I wasn't expecting to find them on a full 1/2 (25) of them already! Yay! I used Dip N' Grow for the first time this round, as well, so I don't know how much can be attributed to either factor, but I have a feeling the RR's have the lion's share of the thanks for the results. And, to top it off, they are definitely the healthiest clones I've ever transplanted- woot!

FK

socachi

using a DIY bubble cloner I'm able to get solid clones, but when I transplant to soil they all do miserably. About half of them die within 12 hours. Here's an example:

they all have healthy roots and were put straight into a soil / perlite mix, watered once, and put under a 175w MH. the temperature in the box is 65F and humidity about 50, they are under 24/0 light.

Q try keeping them in the bubble cloner longer till they get a good stretch and some long roots. Someone on another site uses a cloner and keeps them there for 30 days and puts them to flower after that. He has a 100% success rate. He also uses hydroton.

Your temps are too low get in the 70-75 range