What's new

Cloning Question

anon0988

On my 2nd grow, doing a Scrog that's probably...20"x40" with two plants, each in 5 gallon buckets of soil. I have a grid made of a tough nylon thread/rope that are spaced roughly 3" apart, creating a 3"x3" grid across the whole thing. I am trying to have on decent top up almost every hole before I flip to flower, with only some blank. But in the course of filling it up, I've got a couple of tops that are getting a bit too tall than can't really be slowed by training enough to keep them down. I was thinking of chopping them to even it out and thought, why not use this as a chance to learn cloning. I went out to WalMart and bought some rooting hormone powder that I should work to get them started. I'm thinking about cloning into rockwool cubes then transplanting to hydroton on a test hydro setup I've been working on.

I guess my question is can you cut a top branch for a clone? Obviously only two 'real' tops are there but through LST I've created multiple mains per plant, so probably several tops to trim total.

WelderDan

Veteran
Sure can. The top, or any branch with a growing tip. Use a clean razor and make the final cut at a 45 degree angle. I use Shultz Take Root and Perlite as a medium.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tops make great clones, Give them a 5-10 minute soak in iced water before ya place in medium...

you can clone off any part of the plants as long as there is a growth tip. It is said however that the closer to the bottom the easier it will root I believe.But tops work great also. I routinely super crop some stretchy ogs and put the tops in Rockwood cubes they root every time. Shoot sometime I even forget to dip them in rooting hormones and they still root just taKes a lil longer.

Twist1

you can clone off any part of the plants as long as there is a growth tip. It is said however that the closer to the bottom the easier it will root I believe.But tops work great also. I routinely super crop some stretchy ogs and put the tops in Rockwood cubes they root every time. Shoot sometime I even forget to dip them in rooting hormones and they still root just taKes a lil longer.

I concur with RD - in my experience clones from lower shoots root quicker, but you can indeed clone from any shoot including a top-shoot.

Peace