What's new

Cloning Processes

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Closer to a TBS in a gallon and a TSP in a liter.

Maybe the difference is in the seaweed products we are using but if I added 1 TBSP of my current extract to 1 gal of water, it would very much discolor the water. Like a stout beer.

I use grandma's method of measuring, too... but only after I've gotten more specific instructions from someone about something new, tried it myself and verified that I'm not WAY off base with my estimations. After that, I just eyeball amounts.

DARC MIND

Veteran
vonforne

If you have access to kelp meal you might want to try soaking 1/4 cup in 5 gallons of water for a couple of days.

Take your cuttings and place them into this kelp meal tea for a day or so and then proceed as usual (gel, powder, et al).

You'll be pleased with the overall vigor of your cuttings from my experience.

HTH

CC
interesting, i do have some month old fermented kelp meal, diluted with water..is that to long of a ferment for cuttings?
i also would like to know do you submerge the whole cutting or just were you cut..
and what other uses do you recommend for this solution, 5 gal of this is way more then i need for my small grow and the few cuttings i do monthly

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
interesting, i do have some month old fermented kelp meal, diluted with water..is that to long of a ferment for cuttings?

i also would like to know do you submerge the whole cutting or just were you cut..
and what other uses do you recommend for this solution, 5 gal of this is way more then i need for my small grow and the few cuttings i do monthly
DARC MIND

I wouldn't recommend using a kelp meal tea for cuttings that's 1 month old.

I do dip the entire cutting into the tea prior to placing the cuttings into the strata.

Use the kelp meal tea to water your plants, foliar spray, etc.

Or just make a smaller batch - like maybe 1 tablespoon of kelp meal in 1 gallon of water - something along those lines.

HTH

CC

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I like to mix cloning powder with powdered sea kelp and make a paste out of it by mixing it with a dilute of liquid sea kelp that the clones were sitting in after being cut. I made an album on my profile showing how to make it if anyones interested.
I also put the leftover paste/gel in the rooting hole and than push the clone through it. It seems to work well for me as i only lost 2 cuts out of 10. I think the reason i lost those clones was one was to short/dried out and the other one couldn't bear the heat

For tomatoes my favorite method is just putting it in a glass of water in front of a window and letting it root. I think its fun to watch it progress

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
some pics of my cloning method basically an aero-cloner i built for $60.

Under the hood...

The results...

once the roots start growing they grow super fast, and inch or so a day and they are very bushy. I use no hormones, willow water, honey or anything like that just my room water (bubbled un-pHd tap water with a very small amount of fulvic and humic added to the water to take care of any additional chlorine or chloromines. 100% organic, 100% success rate (so far). :smokeit:

Those are blue dream, next up are Satori and Satori x ThaiHaze xSkunk.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Nice C21, I'm thinking about building a small cloner to fit in my new cab to save space. I used to have an aerponic cloner. I've been hearing that a bubbler is better for clones though. Not only that but it would be cheaper to build.

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
ive tried bubble but i believe the constant wet dry cycle is key to rapid and prolific roots. right now it is set 15 min on 30 off. If I had a better timmer I would set it to 1 min on 9 min off. or at least play with shorter cycle lengths.