What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning plants with deficiencies?

DanTheReggaeFan

Does anyone know if it's possible to take clones from plants with deficiencies? I know ideally you would take them from healthy plants but I kinda fucked up. I thought I would put some Malawis straight into flower from seed, flower for 13 weeks and have some others vegging for that time so they can go straight in after the Malawis are chopped. I've now realised I forgot how fast they can grow in coco so they're starting to get out of hand and too close to the light but the biggest one is showing some deficiencies, maybe from being too close to the L.E.D. according to another member, and I really don't want to lose this strain so need to take some clones.

Has anyone taken clones from deficient plants before? Am I just pissing in the wind trying to clone this plant? It also doesn't help I've never taken clones before so could do with any advice anyone has. Thanks

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The more healthy the clone the better the success. However, you would be surprised what a plant can do if the optimum conditions are root worthy. Also, it depends mostly on the cloning method and substrate how well any clone does in the end. Using the same substrate that the mother is growing in would for cloning would be best because the plant is already adapted to that substrate. Post a photo of the plant in question.

WingzHauser

As long as the stems aren't hollow.

The Malawi I grew smelled like vanilla sawdust and unfamiliar noble wood, had a drunk type effect.

Deficiencies are easy to discern with sativa. If the top 4 ft of the plant is burnt but the bottom 4ft is fine, that's potassium. If the bottom looks like it has water damage, that's phosphorus. If the bottom is yellow, that's either sulfur or nitrogen. If the tops have interveinal chlorosis, it's zinc.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's possible but they will take a long time to root. Unhealthy plants are generally hard to root cuttings.

Try to reveg after you flush well..

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah you can do it. No problem.
Mix a drop of fulvic if you have it, and standard but very weak, grow food, water in well after cloning. Remove as many of the fan leaves as you can, just leaving the new shoot leaves on the cutting. Put it under a very low light, like 5 inches from a 7w bulb (my cloning setup).
I'd take a few, just to make sure.
IMG_20230715_222706~2.jpg

I did these a few hours ago, goto be brutal at times.

DanTheReggaeFan

The more healthy the clone the better the success. However, you would be surprised what a plant can do if the optimum conditions are root worthy. Also, it depends mostly on the cloning method and substrate how well any clone does in the end. Using the same substrate that the mother is growing in would for cloning would be best because the plant is already adapted to that substrate. Post a photo of the plant in question.

Cool that eases my mind a bit. When I took a pic of the whole plant you couldn't really see the problem so this is a close up.

20230716_023722.jpg

DanTheReggaeFan

As long as the stems aren't hollow.

The Malawi I grew smelled like vanilla sawdust and unfamiliar noble wood, had a drunk type effect.

Deficiencies are easy to discern with sativa. If the top 4 ft of the plant is burnt but the bottom 4ft is fine, that's potassium. If the bottom looks like it has water damage, that's phosphorus. If the bottom is yellow, that's either sulfur or nitrogen. If the tops have interveinal chlorosis, it's zinc.

The stems feel quite solid so I'm gonna give it a try. My Malawi's are already in flower. They went straight into flower from seed and I've got different plants vegging whilst they flower. The plant in question is a Key Lime Pie x Dosidos. I sprouted 2 before but had to scrap them because I had to move house at short notice and this is my last seed so I don't want to lose it. I can't wait for the Malawi's though, I've got one lemony smelling one and the other 2 I cant quite describe.

DanTheReggaeFan

Yeah you can do it. No problem.
Mix a drop of fulvic if you have it, and standard but very weak, grow food, water in well after cloning. Remove as many of the fan leaves as you can, just leaving the new shoot leaves on the cutting. Put it under a very low light, like 5 inches from a 7w bulb (my cloning setup).
I'd take a few, just to make sure. View attachment 18865934

I did these a few hours ago, goto be brutal at times.

Thanks man. I do have some Ful-Power but was planning on using some kelp meal water because last time I used the Ful-Power it was a bit strong and the plants went crazy.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not fix the plant?. One of the best things to learn is how to fix plants with deficiencies.

DanTheReggaeFan

Why not fix the plant?. One of the best things to learn is how to fix plants with deficiencies.

I normally would but it's just got too big for my cab. I'm only growing in a stealth cupboard I built so space is limited. It's about 2in from the light and I've still got about another 7 weeks to go before I can put them in the flower side. I really shouldn't have started them the same time as the others. I forgot how fast they grow in coco.

This is the cupboard (bear in mind I don't have any carpentry experience). The one pot was an organic grow I did before. This time they all have their own pots.

28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts