What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

militia420

What an awesome plan, I'd really appreciate you updating me on how that seeds making process goes. I also, am planing on making some seed with GDP. I had that strain once and I have to get my hands on much more. Hawaii must be a beautiful place to grow Cannabis. The plants must respond well to that Hawaiian sun. I don't know too very much but maybe that mother's genetics are beginning to give out. I hear that the cuttings from older mothers lose their vigor. Maybe it taking them longer to root than for rot to set in. Thoughts?

Things ain't going well. I found out repeated daily temps above 80F can cause stem softening and rot. So I think that's contributing to the now rampant rot. Lost 7 cuttings today out of 16.

I bought a bunch of parts for the EZ-cloner. I don't have the time or wiggle room to have such horrendous rooting numbers. It's never been this bad before when I used powder schultz hormone. So I expect in 10 days time to have it build and new cuttings in it. It will go off to the side of a 1000kw lamp, and 5 other plants that are barely 1 ft tall, unsexed, and getting branchy,will provide more than half of the cuttings I put in it. The other half will be from the sexed flowering one of a kind plants.

All of my plants right now are from seed. The problem with them seems to have been bad lighting initially (10 days worth) and then high temps.

Hawaii is a mixed blessing apparently. It's my first grow here. Others on this forum make it clear you don't know what to expect from grows since things can blow up or rot. I'm good so far and use a modified soilless mix: 5 parts peat, 4 parts vermiculite, 2 parts worm castings. It just drains more. The few plants going now look great and when I get sun it's dramatic.

If you want the mother's genetics around for long, then give it all the nutrients it needs, take cuttings, seed them from the same line of males. And back cross to the original like was done with c99 and other IBLs. Then you can repeatedly get a crap load of seeds mostly showing the traits of the mother. You can store these long term.

I've been collecting pollen for the first time ever. It's going well. I've got CAT Supersonic, CAT venomdog, and Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze IX . Gonna try careful selective crossing with the pollen. Get/save as much as you can. Never know when you'll want to go back to that early male expression, or if some one wants to trade.

I will be moving several of my flowerinig females in under the 1kw light after a slightly early harvest, to try to reveg them and then take more cuttings.

It's my most viable choice at this sad point. Study where to cut and where to lease leaves and bud to grow back out. Don't be greedy or you could lose those special mothers.

Also, if you've had problems cloning older mothers, look up the peat moss wrapped around branches technique for cloning. It works great apparently.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Woohoo!!

Got nubs.
Wasnt keeping track but somewhere between 7-10 days.

Im finding the trick is the minimal light.
A couple cups that are in the 2nd row in my room are getting sunlight on the leaves and they are drooping. The plants in the shade are perked up real nice; some are even praying.

ictiv

Hey guys, 16 days ago my fan falled over one violator kush and broked a litle clone out of it... i tryed again in plain water, and this time it worked! I was looking to it daily and exactly 16 days after some 6 knobs pointed out ! Gonna take some pictures tomorrow cause they are to little and i dont have a good camera here! It was very cold lately, and in the first day the min temperature was 22 C it happened. Was about 16 before.

ictiv

:peacock:

Attachments

• 008 - Copy.jpg
    008 - Copy.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 38

ictiv

8 days later, in the same cup of water now with a litle bit of algamic , piranha, voodoo and mykos Wanna see how many days can i keep it on water and with slow growth... Any one has a guess about it? Its been 25 days since it was chopped from the plant

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.jpg
    002 - Copy.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 38

ictiv

Tryed again this time with 6 weeks flowering sativa, got 10 cuts, some really ugly, totally yellow... 10 days after i have 6 with really strong roots, so 60% ... and the other 4 i discarded, but i could use them if i really need it. Rooting on 14 hours of light.

blendmik

EXCELLENT POST. I ALSO HAVE DONE THIS AND RESULTS ARE ALWAYS GOOD. EASY AND SIMPLE. I USE THE SMALLER MASON TYPE JAM JARS UNDER A SCREEN VEILED CFL.

ictiv

Trying again, this time 15 cuts... 5 in each cup... took them at end of 7th week of flowering, just as a test to see if a get a good percentage even so late in flower... been 7 days no luck yet.. will keep u updated.

ictiv

14 days got 1 with roots already, and 3 died. The other ones are really green and will root soon i guess. The 1 i got root was in a pair in a 50 ml coffe cup lol. Now he is alone at his little "pool"...

38 days here, 2 more have rooted, making 3 rooted,10 died and 2 still no roots.

20% , taken at end of 7th week of flowering. Had 80% in end of veg, and around 60% on end of 3th week...

Last edited:

IngFarmer

14 days got 1 with roots already, and 3 died. The other ones are really green and will root soon i guess. The 1 i got root was in a pair in a 50 ml coffe cup lol. Now he is alone at his little "pool"...

lemme share my experience with you, I tried this method after failing terribly to root in soil and coco...and the first time was terrible..it took soo long , 3 weeks before I saw root, although it was a 80% success compared to my attempt in rooting in soil/coco...but someone gave me some more tips and since then I get the plants to root in a week, maximum by two weeks and that is a very long stretch...it happens surely in a week or just after...

and the tip is simple, get a small airstone and a small air pump, very very cheap, and if you live in a cold area get a water heater, those types for acquariums, that too is very cheap..and you have a super fast cloner...the water has to be warm around 28-30 degrees celsious constant...the plants will always root in a week or so...very fast too with less probability of clones dying..staying green and fresh throughout...

Sisu

Veteran
Good read. I've done this off and on over the years and it's the most effective method for me. I think I'll ditch the plugs/coco/hormones from this point forward and just go this route.

getbuck

Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, but at what point in flower do you guys take branches of males to collect pollen? Did I understand correctly that I could take little immature branches and they will mature under say a few CFLs and drop pollen? Or do I need to get them at the exact moment before they start busting nuts?

earthwyrms

Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, but at what point in flower do you guys take branches of males to collect pollen? Did I understand correctly that I could take little immature branches and they will mature under say a few CFLs and drop pollen? Or do I need to get them at the exact moment before they start busting nuts?

i have yet to get a successfull clone.
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but, anyway
putting a branch cutting of a male in water, that has pretty well formed pods, with at least one pod that is about to split ; gives most of the well formed pods time to drop their pollen. keeping it even longer can probably milk some lesser developed ones. i haven't used air bubblers and it still works, but getting anything to root HFSheeeeeet, i can't help you there. even air layering is not working for me. i'm even wondering if it is even real, it's that bad. i wanted a father and 2 mother plant clone source for seeds and backcrossing during breeding a line forward every now and again and as part of ongoing new generations but it doesn't look like that's happening.

ictiv

Tryed again with a little tweak, after 3 days of water only, i add 1 drop of rapid start. Got something like 98% succes rate, each cut in a 200ml cup.

Last edited: