What's new

Cloning in plain water under fluoros

StayHigh149

Worked out fine for me. Took about 9 days to show enuff roots to go into soil.

Also, as far speeding it up with straight water...an airstone works very well. I used to clone that way.

great thread! Lots of good information.

I have a question for people who use this method:

What kinds of cuts have to be used? Do you still have to go 2 nodes up like with traditional cloning methods, or can you just cut any section that has a leaf and a stalk coming off of it (like 1 node, i guess). Can anyone shed light on the types of cuts that can be used?

Thanks in advance. this thread is fantastic stuff

great thread! Lots of good information.

I have a question for people who use this method:

What kinds of cuts have to be used? Do you still have to go 2 nodes up like with traditional cloning methods, or can you just cut any section that has a leaf and a stalk coming off of it (like 1 node, i guess). Can anyone shed light on the types of cuts that can be used?

Thanks in advance. this thread is fantastic stuff

I've used all size cuts in plain water cloning all do good :) from 1 inch cuts to 8 inch cuts ^^

thanks 4 the quick response.

so, do nodes matter? or can it just be any part of the plant as long as it has some leaves? does it have to have some stem coming off of it at least? sorry if this is redundant or wtv, i just don't want to mess up, and i dont think its come up in thread yet.

make your 45 degree cut thru a node then u need a grow tip this can be the end of a branch or a little grow tip between leaf and stem.A grow tip is most important otherwise u end up with a leaf with roots that doesnt grow :)

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
?? jay Are you asking whether or not it is ok to have the growing tip below the water while you are taking cuts? It shouldn't affect it negatively if that is what you are asking.

If you are wondering whether or not the growing tip should be below the surface of the water after you have taken your clone, then .. no. The growing tip needs to be above the surface of the water so that it can transpire.

I find the water option great to get extra back-ups for cloning. I never noticed any problems with just taking the cuts right off the plant. Meaning that i didn't do the cutting under water.

great thread. It's the old wisdom that can sustain us when there isn't any electricity or fancy equipment. :)

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
thought i'd give this technique a go and see how it ventures as i don't mind taking my time when it comes to cloning so that doesn't bother me at all.

i've cloned 2 great white widow girls i've grown through a few times.

attachment.php

these clones have been put through some styrofoam in containers full of tap water. i've placed them on a window sill, the glass is opaque so it shouldn't be too intense.

i'll get back with how it all goes! awesome thread by the way :D thanks cap for all the pics and experiments you did a few years back!

darwin

Attachments

• SNC009411.jpg
    SNC009411.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 19
Sorry if I am missing something, do you place these clones under light at all? Or not until they show the roots and get transplanted? Do I seriously have to simply cut off a good sized clone, place it in a cup of water and place it somewhere dark and wait?

Vertigo-

Thanks for taking the time to post this, the information is as good as gold! Now I'm off to attempt 2 chemdawg clones. I'll be trying your method, wish me luck!

R3ZIN

This is taking way too long :( I think I need some willow branches or an air stone! :(

I sound like such an ass in this thread :D. I wanted to update that I had awesome success with:

1 x Jam Jar
1 x black sock to cover said jar
1 x tetra whisper $8.00 air pump n stone
1 x patience
= Awesomeness!

It worked really well, love it

F

feral

How much light is "low light levels" ?
I have never had luck with cloning but would love to figure it out

I bubble clone and also use just a cup of water depending on how many cuts I have to do.
For light levels I use a 11 watt CFL @ 18 inches above my cuts in a closet and thats the only light source. They get 18/6 light schedule.
My bubbler puts out roots in 6-10 days and just a cup of water about a day or two later.
Hope this answers your question.

Remember: this is what works for me. experiment what works for you.
And the secret to cloning: patience.

johnnybsmokin

Just a quick note, have been using this method for months now with a 99% sucess rate. Some cuts only take about 10 days to root others up to 3 weeks. At times I will leave cuts in water for up to a couple of months and they still stay viable, with a little growth happening and lots of root development.

I have tried and used the polystyrene method, but am having better sucess with "film canisters" with 1 cut in each. Just keep and eye on the water level in the canisters as they do drink it and the last thing you want to do is let the cut dry out ( some thing that does not happen with the poly as it floats on top of the water.

I will put up a coule of photos if people want to see results.

M

mugenbao

I've been using this method for the last couple of cycles, and so far I have a 100% success rate. I guess the only big thing is being patient. I figure I should just change the water every few days and leave 'em alone until they either root or rot. None have rotted yet, and I've got a veg. cabinet full of 100% females for the first time, yay :)

G

googolsack

Hello all, this is a good thread for us simpletons :) . I haven't read the whole thread so i am sorry if i am repeating something, but i have a suggestion........
Apart from using a floating piece of foam with holes in it, a glass jar with a plastic lid, with some holes drilled into the lid can work.
I also had a question i wanted to ask, but now i have forgotten???

G

googolsack

I have remembered my question :) ............
Is it ok to put the cuttings that are in the water under 24 hour light, to get them to reveg if they have been in flower? Or i guess what i mean is that if you take a cutting from a flowering plant and put it under a 12/12 light it will only continue to flower slowly, won't it?
Thanks.

:thank you:

M

mugenbao

I have remembered my question :) ............
Is it ok to put the cuttings that are in the water under 24 hour light, to get them to reveg if they have been in flower? Or i guess what i mean is that if you take a cutting from a flowering plant and put it under a 12/12 light it will only continue to flower slowly, won't it?
Thanks.

:thank you:
I've got four cuttings I took late in flower (week five or six if I remember correctly) that I cloned using this method. One of them, a male, is still producing copious male flowers and pollen and is growing very slowly, but I've actually used it to pollinate a few plants. It looks kind of sad to be honest, but smells lovely and seems to be fullfilling it's purpose as a pollen donor nicely.

Two of them took a long time to root, but once they did they started out slowly and are finally starting to grow at a normal pace. Strangely, they are bushy and branchy as hell, much more than the originals, but I've read that this is normal for a clone taken in flower.

The other one looked like it was still flowering for a long time, although still growing and starting to look like it was recovering, but I lost it this week due to intense neglect while I was in the process of moving to a new home.

The two females that are finally starting to take off started with single-bladed leaves, a lot like a reveg. I guess that's really what it is, a reveg combined with popping new roots out. If you look at the lower original growth, it's still all frosty and covered in trichomes, but the newer growth is pretty much what you'd expect for a plant in veg. other than the fact that it started with single-fingered leaves. They actually look pretty good now, and I'm expecting great things from them.

I will say that my normal cuttings using this method root in one or two weeks, but the ones taken in flower took at least a month before they were ready to be put into soil.

G

googolsack

Thanks for the reply, but do you have your cuttings under 12/12 light or higher, 18/6 or 24/0 etc.

M

mugenbao

I have mine under 24 hours light right now. I'd actually prefer to keep them at 18/6, but two of my timers died so I no longer have one on the veg cab.