What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in coco. If you dont know, your missing out.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I have been cloning in coco for the past 7 years and loving every single minute of it!! I get fully rooted cuttings in 8-10 days. No bs. Im talking ready to transplant cuttings, not just one or two roots peeking out. Thick and fuzzy, and busting out of the inserts. Way more root surface area than the kind of roots i used to get in my ez cloners. Its not uncommon to have roots growing on top of the coco, especially with a denser canopy. It even gets to the point where roots are growing out of the bases of the stalks which are covered in nubs. 99-100% strike rate. After all this time, it still never ceases to amaze me.

I Have cloned in dyna-grow, clonex, this gel, that gel, this powder, that powder. This cheap crap, that cheap crap. After its all said and done, I like good old fashioned dip and grow. It proves itself more consistently. You dont even have to use rooting hormones, but they will get you in the dirt faster, and usually the cuttings are more robust, at least with DipNGrow. Heres a tip. When using DNG, dont put clones in water first and then dip them in the solution. Dip them in the solution while they are "dry". It soaks in better. I take all my clones extra long, so that i dont have to put them in water to avoid air bubbles getting in the stem. I just cut 3" off the bottom of each one after i have my bouquet, and then immediately dip them directly into the soultion. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. I slice 5-6 at a time, and dunk 5-6 at a time. You can make quick work that way. A flexible double edged razor blade works wonders for this method.

Here my process. There is no real science behind this other than my own knowledge and experience coming into play. I just know this is what i currently use and get great results. To be honest, you could just use rapid start and dipngrow, and that KILLS IT! Thats my go to when im feeling lazy or short on time. Just make sure to always check the runoff of the coco. Clones dont like rooting in high salinity enviroments. 1.0EC/500ppm is way too high. Anyways.... here it is..

Bcuzz coco rinsed down to 100ppm or less with 1/4 tsp/gal calmag plus into r/o water with Ph set to 5.5. When 80-100ppm (@0.5 conv) runoff is reached, add items below in just enough water to disperse them throughout the media with 20% runoff.

House & Garden roots excelurator at 1/2 strength (0.25ml/gal)

GH Rapid start at 3/4 strength (0.75-1tsp/5gal)
(If you had to choose between roots excel and rapid start, pick rapid start! Better quality roots imo)

5-8ml/gallon hygrozyme (or 50/50 with cannazyme works great too)

OPTIONAL-
(A cheap way to replace these is floralicious plus.)

BioAg Humic acid at the normal rate

BioAg Fulvic acid at 10ml/gal

Maxicrop seaweed at 1/2 the recommended rate for cuttings

Squeeze the coco until its like a moist sponge before putting it into the inserts. I like to just drop a pile on a tray and spread it loosely into the inserts, and then give the tray a single light tap on the ground. This makes sure the coco isnt packed. I think this is important. Having a looser pack, and some air holes throughout the media seems to make more fuzzy feelers come out. This is what you want. They are increasing the surface area of the roots. One air root is with 100,000 hairs is wayyyyyy more efficient than a water root that has minimal to no hairs. Root fuzz+beneficials=maximum nutrient absorbtion potential, so long as ph and other factors are in check.

Heres a little trick. I put cuttings in a tray in a checker pattern. So if its a 72 site insert, im only using 36 sites. This gives me better structure and health of cuttings rather than when you jam them all together. As an added benefit, when the clones take root and the media dries out a bit, I can just pour a gallon of water, carbs, and mychorizzae in the tray (I use BioAg Vam). The slots that werent used will leach out the stored doses of goodies you put in at day one, and replenish the newly rooted cuts with food.;) After about 5 minutes, just dump the solution out of the tray and give it to your moms or something. The new mondi black and white trays are awesome for flooding like this. Very rigid.

Keep the coco about 76-78F during rooting with the dome on. Heat mats are your friend. I have had decent results as low as 68F, but warmer temps def help out.
Mist them once or twice daily for about the first week. Water only.
Thats it!

If you have your own recipe/method, feel free to post it. I will get pics up soon. For all you know im making this shit up;)

Edit: Pics as promised. These roots are so white they are glowing! Cheers!:biggrin:

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
its a good post man, fulvic & humic acid are a essential grow tools
these with compost teas & seeweed exctract are like steroids for you babys!

ambertrich

Veteran
Its funny, I used to have problems with cloning no matter what method I was using. Things would work ok, but never consistent or high survivor rates. Then, I started cloning in straight coco with just tap water. Took me a minute to learn not to keep the coco too wet, and since then I get an overage of 95-98% success. No dome, no special potions, just good quality coco and tap.

One thing that I have found helped me as well is using very little light. A 9watt CFL does giving indirect lighting does the job just fine to get them babies rooted. If I leave the cuts with this light after rooting, they will be in a bit of stasis if I don't need them anytime soon, allows me more flexibility of when I take cuts. Or, if I need them sooner, give more light and watch em take off.

Others have better luck with areocloners and the like, and as the saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat". Whatever works.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've been trying to clone in coco for a few weeks and have had zero success so far. I'm thinking that the room is getting too cold at times so I've adjusted the hvac...we'll see if that changes things...here's my question...Would it be better for me to be top watering the cuttings daily or put the cups in trays (wicking)?
Also: i've been using about 1/4 strength of my nutes...and they're not coco specific...could this be an issue in this point of the game?

Last edited:
O

Oti$

Thanks, I've recently began trying to clone in coco...only abut 50% success so far, but the basement had been getting petty chili. I'll give your formula a shot, I've just been using tap

jb5355

i clone in pure coco with tap water and no gel/ powder. 99% success. i dont even water again until there are roots because the coco usually doesnt dry out until then. i do use a dome tho. my clones always wilt super fast without a dome

spunion

I've been trying to clone in coco for a few weeks and have had zero success so far. I'm thinking that the room is getting too cold at times so I've adjusted the hvac...we'll see if that changes things...here's my question...Would it be better for me to be top watering the cuttings daily or put the cups in trays (wicking)?
Also: i've been using about 1/4 strength of my nutes...and they're not coco specific...could this be an issue in this point of the game?
I was growing with a soil A & B in coco recently, no problem. Your nutrients wont matter until the plant has roots anyway.

Chances are either the room was indeed to cold, or the coco was too wet. If not in a humidity dome, you could also try misting the place with water once a day (or more frequently with low RH%).

Granger2

Veteran
Dubwise,
Don't water. Watering retards root growth. Get the coco totally soaked, then use thumbs to aggressively squeeze out excess water. Plant clones, mist, use dome. Don't water or mist till they are rooted unless they wilt, then mist only the wilted ones. Use very low light, maintain temps at 78-80F. I use a heating pad, and one 2' T-5 tube raised up 18" above the tall dome. I put a layer of paper towel on top of the dome. 95% success.

The cost of a heating mat and thermostat is cheap considering the value of dependably having clones when you need them. Good luck. -granger

mk6

Good post Smurf...
I do pretty much like Granger, soak the cups and pack it down good, but I dont pack-m too tight, also poke some holes in the bottom of the cups for drange, and I water them in 5/6 days, but no nutes. I dont use a dome cuz they had issues acclimating them to the drier air, but I do mist often.

but it all starts with a good healthy mom :) and always take soft fresh growth to start...

these are ten days from cut.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Theres no doubt you can root clones in nothing but tapwater, but the root mass, and quality of the roots, will not be comparable.
Clones seem to root readily under very minimal light. I did a test using a t5 with one tray 24" from the light, another at 36", another at 48". The rooting times were relatively the same across the board. However once they did have roots, the ones at the top grew and dried out the fastest, and the bottom ones grew the slowest.
Sometimes i will take a few trays of cuttings and place them underneath the canopy of my mother plants which are under a metal halide. Works like a charm every time. I feel like i get better results overall doing it like this, dont ask why b/c i dont know, maybe because its darker?. Ive also hung a halide about 8-10ft over prop trays which is great too. You dont need as much light as youd think to get clones to root. I see people with t-12 shop lights 8-12" away from the cuttings! Your just wasting energy.

Weeded1s

So smurf if u just poor .9 ec at 5.8 ph through some rinsed coco in a beer (solo) cup to set the cation bank..and then slide clone into the coco and dome it....That should be it til the clone drinks eats enough to dry the coco out some?
I lazily tried once but it stayed over watered for some reason...I only fed it 1 time after I put it in the coco..but that 1 time was too much..yellow ass tops.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
@granger-thanks! I'll give it a go with this method...I've used domes before with rapid rooters and had average success. Thanks so much to everyone for your help.
Merry Christmas

NEGT1

Experimented with it for a bit, works as well as anything else when conditions are correct. Generally prefer something that's more transferable.

Once a clone roots they just take off after a little bacteria / micro organisms with kelp, fulvic and humic and slight base nutrient load. Be careful to make sure the coco is clean and stable before cloning in it.

timeormoney

leden%202015%20008.JPG.opt836x624o0%2C0s836x624.JPG

leden%202015%20009.JPG.opt836x624o0%2C0s836x624.JPG