What's new

Cloning hormones revealed; a side by side comparison

juveewang007

just did my first cloneing.............i just put them in water with a air stone.....it took three weeks for 2 to show roots..............holey crap that was fast...............this is my first grow................im freakin out how much light do i need........i only have room for 30 inch flourecents..........somebody anybody............i need help dont want to loos em.....................

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
For clones, very little light is needed. A single 23 watt cfl will do. Once you transplant, acclimate them to the big lamp over a couple days but, do it asap to prevent stretch.

juveewang007

yea but the 250 is gonna be on 12 12 for a while so whats a cheap option ......i dont have room for a 4 footer............i got to 24inch t12 right now

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
If the T12 is all you have it's all you have. While these things are designed for the sun, they just can't handle bright light without roots. Once rooted, they've been trained to think your lamp is the sun so you want to acclimate slowly. I'd see if the T12 would run with a single lamp. If not, hang it high and maybe build a shade. After roots, over two days drop the lamp as low as possible for veg.

johnathanvpr

man, I like your lil team!! she clones and he grows. I am using kln for cloning right now, its alright. I have a few methods right now for cloning. Bubble, mist prop, rapid rooters,rockwool and light warrior. right now 7-9 days for them to root across the board. wich ever works faster for you, I will purchase and run a few of each method and see if it improves speed. I did notice in the few days after they root they show N def. I wonder if any other hormone would help me in retaining the health of the clone/plant. At around 15 days they get 1/4 strength grow big but then I have to wait for them to green up a lil before the can see much light!!! love the thread. great Idea..

D

daddyhaze

FreezerBoy, thanks for checking in and helping answer questions that I have no desire to deal with in this thread.

johnathanvpr; I love my team, but it isn't exactly like that.... she clones & grows & does everything, I just smoke and watch Jerry Springer on the TV.....
As far as methods and mediums, thats next, or maybe not.... but for now, she just wanted to see what hormone she liked and I started a thread to maybe help other people decide.... this is in no way a definitive perfect all encompassing cloning thread... just a little something while we was bored and needed cuttings...
There could be all knds of reasons for your N def... but just a little something I do from back in the day no matter what is add a drop of superthrive to all my H2o when cloning (i.e. spraying, soaking, watering...) and I seem to get no def and we can "root & run" with almost no veg, just like 5-7 days to let their feet get set in the hydroton...

Hope everybody has a good day....

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
micropro said:
Healthy Well-Fed Mother Plants produce better clones than any hormone!!!
I agree, I haven't used hormones for several years. This should be an interesting thread, thanks for sharing. Btw, welcome to IC Mag, it's nice ta have ya here! BC

micropro said:
Overmind, yes:
"Clonex Gel remains in contact around the stem, sealing the cut tissue and supplying hormones needed to promote root cell development and vitamins to promote new root tissue. Clonex has a full spectrum of primary nutrients and trace elements to nourish the young roots plus anti-microbial agents to protect against fungal contamination. "
They both seem to be about the same ingredients.

Maddlights, I am with u! Keep your plants out of your storage bottles! Contamination happens a lot during the cloning process. I find a shot glass is best depth and width to work with the gels, but the dip'n grow comes with its own easy measure cup.
Also, I clean my cutting tools between mother plants because viruses can be passed without being recognized. It's kinda a pain in the ass, but it saves big problems down the road!
Healthy Well-Fed Mother Plants produce better clones than any hormone!!!

Awesome, based on these results, I may switch over to Clonex

Well I have kinda been off in the dark corner somewhere watching ic mag for a little while, and this is what I needed to see. I have tried a few different methods for cloning tomato plants, my little lady, and a few other plants, and I just suck at it. Actually I think I always had either a) too much light or b) too little. I dont know, I cant wait to actually get SOME sort of success rate, maybe you can help me, my next option is to build a diy cloner box!

micropro

Re: everybody...

Re: everybody...

I've been watching the plants grow, lemme catch up...

If u r cloning in water, make sure that u keep the water cold 65-70 degrees. Often the pumps and air stones warm the water up pretty hot which breeds fungus and disease. Ur stems will rot before root...
If not, it is best to start with filtered room temperature water. There's no reason the shock ur fragile stem

Clones need very little light. Our rack has shop lights from Home Depot. It holds two bulbs (t8?), one orange day glow and one is more blue glow for each lamp. I unscrewed the orange one for this set of clones.

If u give clones too much light they will be sending energy the wrong direction.

As for which media, most important is that it complies with our hydroton. Rapid rooters are a little too "dirty" compared to rockwool or oasis cubes.

Hope this helps any! Ima go smoke one... :joint:

micropro

About too much light...

About too much light...

Speaking of too much light...:wallbash:
Having my clone rack right next to the 1000w MH that is vegging my moms is not a very good idea. It is obvious that the clones in the front of the tray are suffering versus the back...
Closer to MH have twisty stems and leaves:

while the plants further from the light stand straight and healthy:

Here's a view of the whole tray:

To fix this problem, I just hung panda paper from the shelf to block the light

Also I found this:

That weird Olivia's shit gelled up, and now the stem is rotted.

I think too much goo cut off the air to this one, cuz the others seem just fine.

It hasn't quite been a week, and I dont see any signs of roots yet.
Thanks for keeping up! :D

G

Greyskull

c'mon Clonex!
I get roots in my ezcloner with clonex usually 5-10 days.
except SFV & SAC2 OG... 21 & 15 days, respectively (?)...

Nice thread

Dee9

Hi micropro -

how much of the rooting hormones do you put on the stems? Just the little tip where it has been cut or up to a cm from the bottom?

When I use powder stuff I use to use quite a lot - but that seemed to smother the stem - I started using less. Cant say I noticed a difference - now I use nothing.

I just leave the cuttings in a glass of water in the quest bathroom (no mold there - nobody uses it to shower or bath) until it has roots - and then to a jiffy pot with coco.

I thank the heavens above that I do not have trouble cloning! I see so many ppl here struggling with clones...wish I could give you all some of mine!

Mircopro, my oliva gel also gels up when I clone but I've never had a problem with mold and rot, in fact, my cloning sucuess is like 99%, I rarely lose any

micropro

10 day Results

10 day Results

It's been 10 full days since taking these cuts and I am shocked at the results:

picture.php

The best results by far is no hormone.

picture.php

Dip'n Grow is the best hormone I used.

picture.php

Olivia'a is pretty far behind, but clonex hadn't made it out of the cube at all...
picture.php

So the gels lose, which is cool because Dip'n Grow is the cheapest hormone, and water the is cheapest of all!

Not the results I ever expected!

micropro

Thanks to All!

Thanks to All!

Nice idea

You should also have a control that is cloning with no additives

Thanks everyone for your input and interest in this project!

Overmind, you really came thru with a great idea, thnx a ton. My momma taught me to root cuttings in a jar in the windowsill. Almost too simple...guess thats why they call it weed...

Thanks everyone for your input and interest in this project!

Overmind, you really came thru with a great idea, thnx a ton. My momma taught me to root cuttings in a jar in the windowsill. Almost too simple...guess thats why they call it weed...

Wow I too am shocked, glad I can be of help

May not use cloning gel anymore either next time I clone

micropro

I don't think I can let myself clone without any rooting hormone. No matter what results I see myself, I kinda feel like I'm slacking if I go with nothing. I think I will stick with the DG in extra mild concentration...

I would suggest to trash the gels and powders...

L

Lava Surfer

I was just about to say No hormones gonna win, I have been telling ppl that for years now.

Rooting hormones are not needed, it's waste of money ad it's toxic to work with. Gel is safer then powder, but still wear gloves.

I did a test for Clonex several years ago, 3 tests of 3 different products incl Clonex ofcause. All 3 tests my controul group with pure tab water won!