What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning an entire plant, too much?

ackuric

Title says it all. My issue is a rat ate through about 3/4 at the base of my stem for the first inch of a relatively young 7 inch plant with about 5-6 sets of nodes and has been fim'd.(orginally cloned in a cube). This strain clones fairly easy. Now I'm worried the plant will break really easy and just wilt away, so what I would like to try to do is cut above the current damage, remove a few branches/leaves above that area, and then treat it like a regular cutting. Any opinions? what should i do :/

G

I would just take multiple smaller cuts. I guess If you have the patience you might want to play around with that idea but definitely take a smaller cut Just In Case.

Last edited:

ackuric

well my veg room has been under attack for a few months and i finally broke down and got some sticky traps for the little hungry rodent to hopefully get caught in. The thing is once he starts attacking a plant, he sticks to that one so if he returns in the next few nights that plant is a goner =/

Well I suppose I'll wait and see if these sticky traps catch him or at least keep him at bay, although i'd much rather catch him. anyone know any good bate i should place on the sticky traps?

Y

yamaha_1fan

a rat can fit through any hole if his head can get through. They can squish their body through. So seal up all those small holes.

Peanut butter and set the traps along the wall. Get a few

You could also use some leaves, sounds like your rat likes weed :D

G

I had a similar issue some time back...

I lost a very nice nycd mom at the time.....

Funny though.... for seelings normally I find mice eat the leaves....

In this other situation they ate the bark stuff and didnt eat the leaves.....

It would be my guess that your plant will probably recover if you dont have more damage..... you probably should support the stem with something like bamboo skewers

At least take one cut though...

Personally with traps I like to see their heads crushed so I use the old fashioned traps... and peanut butter....but crunchy so I can jam a peanut piece in the little bait hole..... gets em every time......

Y

yamaha_1fan

Pepe Le Puw said:
I had a similar issue some time back...

I lost a very nice nycd mom at the time.....

Funny though.... for seelings normally I find mice eat the leaves....

In this other situation they ate the bark stuff and didnt eat the leaves.....

It would be my guess that your plant will probably recover if you dont have more damage..... you probably should support the stem with something like bamboo skewers

At least take one cut though...

Personally with traps I like to see their heads crushed so I use the old fashioned traps... and peanut butter....but crunchy so I can jam a peanut piece in the little bait hole..... gets em every time......

Good tip there. I used to set traps in a warehouse and the traps would be licked clean, never could figure out if it was the rat or lizards running around

G

LIke dude.... mine get licked clean too....

except for that piece of peanut.....

rotflmfao......

ackuric

thanks for all the tips guys, I set glue traps last night unbaited and the bugger returned and finished off the plant he started eating, so I woke up to a wilted plant sitting in the soil =/

I'm definitely gonna stick some peanut butter in the middle of these traps. I've already killed 1 mouse that I know had access into my space by eating through wood to gain access, I closed that hole but I have no clue where this one comes from, I think hes underground/in the dirt. Either way that girl bit the dust, I attmempted to cut off the lower damage and throw her in some water to see if she stops wilting as badly for a minute so I can attempt a clone of the whole plant, lol. no branches are big enough on this particular plant to take clones from.

I went from 5 plants to 2 because of this little bugger! I have 5 seedlings sprouted that i'm scared to put into my veg room until I catch this bugger. He only visits at night so I have to wait and see what results my traps he the bugger has done each morning. =/

ackuric

breaking news, so i went back to where i found the one was coming through, and right next to it his brothers/sisters started a new hole and so I went outside where I found the one, sure enough there his brother and sister were, so I cleared the corner they reside in, taped off their new hole and the joyces next to those where they'd most likely try again, and I guess i'll sit and wait. unfortunately unlike the last incident i was unable to catch and kill them, they seem to have ran away/ran inside their hole which is now sealed off for the moment from down under, up top I have no clue what crack they enter from.

Poodo

What if you put some rooting power or gel on that spot and plant it deep enough to cover the chewed part? I have had luck with fixing plants with masking tape, but they were just snap in half... You could also wrap alm.foil around the stems and the rat wont eat the foil maybe. Put a 5 gallon bucket with water in it under a table were they get in and they will probably fall in and die.{they are attracted to the water}. You can't really make small cuttings with a 7'' plant. What does it look like ?

raygun

I had one of my sourbubble plants get stem rot realy bad half way through veg and had to chop off the whole root system and just put the plant in bubbling water and let it do its thing. It managed to regrow roots and I was able to save it.
So yes you can "clone" a whole plant but I would take smaler cuttings off of it as a safety back up.

Hope its not to late.... good luck wih the weed rats.

ackuric

as of now the plant is in a rapid rooter cube with root powder on its base inside of a humidity dome. a few leaves had to be removed but most of them seem stabalized.

I'd provide pictures but have no camera, shes just a baby so hopefully she bounces back, its not like shes a 18 inch plant going from a massive root system to nothing.

ackuric

well an update as of today, the plants have been brought back to life, and are substained. now for the bad news. I recently foamed every crack and hole I could find, had 11 nice looking kalichakra babies 1-2 weeks old in their habitat, and after almost 2 peaceful weeks, bam! attacked. lost 5 plants in 1 night, 1 of which was my second favorite, that im gonna try the same technique with as I did the prior victims, although I'm concerned this whole attack will likely force this plant to be a male even if I do sucessfully re-root it and get it back on track, since its sex is undetermined as hes only a 3 week old vigorous baby, with about 3 nodes.

So today I made another trip around the parameter and found another hole bigger than any other i've ever imagined finding, i dont know how i let it pass me the first time, (a hole too big to foam) so I taped it off and re-sealed a few other spots. With that said I bought some more traps, this time 'snap' traps that claim they dont need bait, so we'll see...I'm also gonna put screen around my smaller plants that they can take down in one night and maybe bait my others, and check for new damage, I just hope I sealed them out this time =/

I used the those traps that dont kill, the rodent gets into it and the door shuts, Use penut butter in the back of it and they go in to eat the penut butter and get closed in there, Another good way is use a dish pan and fill it with 5 inches or so of water and then put a brick in the middle with penutbutter or in your case weed on it, I put a piece of wood so they walk up it to the side and then they jump in to get the goods, In the morning they will have drowned in the water. Works great!

Last edited:

ackuric

oh i saw those door shutting traps, i pefer the trap thats going to snap him hopefully at a nice pressure point for his little arse. I know theres more than 1 too, so, we'll see how this turns out. I'd rather them be sealed out for good but a figure the mice look at it as an adventure/challenge, and wanna find a way around the walls I put up.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I had a pet rat that used to make a break for it once in a while. Believe it or not, wet cigarettes were the most successful lure.

Y

YwouldntI

mice and rats love chocolate a long time ago a orkin guy told me thats the best bait for them.snap his lil neck like he did ur stem

Latest posts

Latest posts