What's new

clones wilting

blazin

where do you measure your temp's? inside the dome, on top on on the side?

with regards to trimmin the fan leaves, i have the same results if i trim the leaves or leave them untuched

correct me if im wrong, but cant i see roots out of the rr? the clone actually looks too dry to me. not 100% though, as the pic is crap, and my pc screen is on its last legs

I usually place the thermometer sensor inside the dome, which is where you want to know the temperature, and not outside.

I have a dome that has two vents at the top which is where i stick the sensor through and close the vent back up.

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/ngw-n....html?osCsid=8057604f3d8d5e84b5f9326ca9b0082b

intotheunknown

Veteran
also Dank, i am not sure if you had stated in this thread the type of lighting youre using to clone.
may i ask what it is youre using?

the last batch of clones i took i did an experiment with lighting.
i used both CFLs but on one side of the space i used a 6700k which is more of a bright daylight almost blue spectrum. and on the other i used a soft white which is more of an orange.

i got much better results using the 6700k 26w bulb about 8" above them.
and from my tests i would have to say that the higher the kelvin number the better. you could even use a smaller wattage bulb which im sure would give better results than the 26w.

you really dont need much light. so that could be one of your problems as well if you happen to be using too much.

remember you arent trying to get them to grow, youre trying to get them to root. so if youre pumping a bunch of light on them, that will do you no good.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
You might have pythium, it can be in the air and get on your plants.

If you've tried everything else and it doesn't work, get some physan20 and an ozone generator. The ozone will kill mold and spores in the air and the physan20 will kill the pythium on your plants and the pythium on their roots.

Sometimes you can rent ozone generators at equipment rental places. They ususally produce mega amounts of ozone though so be careful. Just seal off the room as best you can and run it for an hour or so, then ventilate the room thoroughly.

I've got it in my house, and its killed hundreds of cuttings, haven't been able to make a successful clone in months.

yea thanks sam. although thats not what i wanted to hear. the truth hurts though. into- i have a 3500k 23w cfl said distance from them

intotheunknown

Veteran
you could try the 6700k cfl and see what happens, but i dont think that is the problem youre having.

but you just have to find what works best for your situation. trial and error.
like FreezerBoy says high RH is deadly, which i disagree. but he uses the method he uses and it works for him, as my method works for me. so you just have to figure out where that fits in for you.

good luck man

orangejuice

the root zone is the only thing that needs high rh from what i gather. i never use a dome for anything either, they always cause more trouble then good for me (stale air and drooping plants) but some guys swear by them so who knows.

most of the time when i get drooping it's because the root area isn't sealed off good, i would make sure no air can get down past your stem and the stem is very snug in there with no air pockets. i always use a warm (3,5k) 13 watt since it's what happens to be in my desk lamp and it's never been the source of issues either.

hanuman

I beg to differ with some of the opinions stated here.

Mist them more, quite simply, as your cuts can't take any water and/or nutrients through their roots yet.

Humidity and heat are the key.

I get great results out of a cheap clear plastic box upside down, in a hot room of my house (where the boiler is), with the clones misted two to three times a day with a very very light bloom solution in simple plastic cups with soil... All this under natural daylight, i.e in front of a window oriented North!! No need for high tech stuff when the basics are taken care of. Pics to follow if I find time.

h :ying:

intotheunknown

Veteran
where do you measure your temp's? inside the dome, on top on on the side?

with regards to trimmin the fan leaves, i have the same results if i trim the leaves or leave them untuched

correct me if im wrong, but cant i see roots out of the rr? the clone actually looks too dry to me. not 100% though, as the pic is crap, and my pc screen is on its last legs

i measure my temps inside the dome. right where the cuttings are. thats where you want to get your reading. and i actually use a mini temp gun to get exact temps on the cuttings tops.

yes when they root, you will be able to see roots coming out the the RR. and when i know mine are about to root or going to root, the leaves will turn a really light green almost yellow. thats when i know theyre about to do their thing. then i just check for roots every now and then until there are enough there to plant them.
keep that RR moist at all times, but not too wet. if its too wet the stem will rot.

reckon

1) your cuts are too big for your skill level
2) you have too much light
3) you kept it too wet
4) it got too hot

so take a MUCH smaller cut, reduce the amount of light hitting the leaves by using a smaller light/farther away and clip the leaves in half, use the dome for a day or two, NO MORE, monitor the temps so it stays in the 75f-85f range (warming mat roolz here)
and water with a rooting solution (helps control rot) every OTHER day, not four times a day.

one more note, ease of rooting cuttings (clones) will be TOTALLY STRAIN DEPENDENT,.....some strains need the dome and constant monitoring for a week, and others you can toss a cutting on a wet towel and forget about it and have roots in 10 days.

so keep practicing, get some different strains, and follow all the advice given in this thread, paying attention to the 4 things I listed.

this is hard at first, then it just gets easier every time you do it.

intotheunknown

Veteran
great points Reckon. thats another major factor as well. it has a lot to do with what strain you have.

ive got 4 diff. strains right now, and some have different needs than others. so thats another good thing to think about.

V1AAA

yes when they root, you will be able to see roots coming out the the RR. and when i know mine are about to root or going to root, the leaves will turn a really light green almost yellow. thats when i know theyre about to do their thing. then i just check for roots every now and then until there are enough there to plant them.
keep that RR moist at all times, but not too wet. if its too wet the stem will rot.

maybe you misunderstood

the guy that started this thread has got roots coming through the rr. and the clone is droopy. this to me shows that the quick change in humidity from high to low is the reason why his clone looks like that. either slowly introduce them to the air/drop in humidity, or spray them. another option is to wet the root riots JUST A LITTLE BIT. they look a little dry

intotheunknown

Veteran
lol that i did.

and thats exactly right. when they start to droop thats a change in humidity. when i go to prop my dome open and they droop they arent ready yet.

thanks reckon very valuable advice. and you too intotheunknown u have some great advice also. thanks to everyone who chimed in also. i'm a shitty typer so i'm not gna shout everybody out because it takes so long for me to even type this paragraph. the strain i have is ken's gdp btw.