What's new

Clones turning bright yellow with dying tops.

MrClone

I also use Aero cloners and love em for larger batches. I have 5 like the one below scattered around at various dispensaries in the area.
I typically get roots in about 7 to 10 days with low/indirect light and Crystal Springs bottled water and 1 tsp of H2O2 per gallon.

I've tried just about every method and technique there is and know that there is no universally "perfect" way that works for everybody so I won't argue about what works for somebody else.
What I do know is what consistently works for me. I set my cloners up in closets at the dispensaries and load em every 15 days or sooner when they call me. The closets have a 16"X16" window cut 6' from the floor and a 16"X6" register vent at the bottom. The only time there is a light on in the closets is when it's being filled or clones coming out. The rest of the time they only get what light comes through the window.
The tubs hold 112 cuts and always finish with over 100 rooted clones in 15 days or less.

Like I said in my previous post, I am in the process of running batches of cuts with light and hoods to show the differences in time and efficiency. The cuts below had a 2X4 cfl about 5 ft. above and are the last of that run after 15 days. All the others in that batch either died off or rooted. These clones took over twice as long to root than usual just by adding the light and of course the yellowing is consistent with direct light.

My cloners combined produce over 1000 clones a month for MMJ patients around the area. I gutted my flower room and switched over to cloning last year, so it's important to me that my clones root quickly and that my cloners produce healthy clones.

View Image

Nice. I have gotten to the point where I am pumping out about 1500 clones a week. I use a dome because I use rock wool cubes due to the need of space and while being in a dome does give me more of a chance of damping off, it also helps me not kill them when I do not have time to water or forget to during the day as it keeps moisture in the area longer and clones can get water via stomata if cubes run a tad dry ..

I realized the light thing when all my clones directly under lights would lag rooting or burn. Everything by the edge or outer area of lights reach would root faster.

I used to use EZ cloner and botanicare cloners. I had the 180 site and 120 site EZ C's but realized I could put WAY more in the same space using RW.

I went from using the 1.5 cubes to the A-OK starter plugs as they are denser and seem to make roots come out thicker and not as skinny when doing a side by side. I put em in a 72 site tray, put some perlite in the bottom, and it will take about 12 hours maybe longer than using an EZcloner to go through cube. Used to get roots at fastest in couple hours shy of 4 days. Only a couple strains out of 32 though but you have to remember popping roots and rooting through a cub are different. Some plants pop roots and take another 1-1/2 days possibly to come out of the cube. EZcloners from my experience dont really root that much faster, few hours maybe, what they are great for is the success rate, ease of use without having to water daily but also are more work with water changes, cleaning them every week, specially the collars. As I do agree that soaking your cuts in a nutrient solution doesn't do any good.. Soaking them in a rooting mix does. Here is the difference. Nutrient solution in this case is any N-P-K base nute. GH 3 part at their 1/4 tsp g seedling/cutting mix dyna-gro heavy 16 etc etc. A rooting mix is slightly different.

Let me give you my little mix that I use but not specific because I own a clone company and would like to keep my recipe proprietary. I soak them in a mix like this or with these ingredients. I soak the cuts in this mix for about 24-36 hours although the later is due to running out of time during the days. Also the soak helps keep the cuttings from wilting in the process from cut to cube.

Cut mix

Kelp ( preferably you want one that contains Tryptophan, not all do and zinc as zinc is a co factor in the rooting process )

Kelp contains Gibberelins and Cytokins which are naturally occuring hormones that will aid in the rooting process )

Super Thrive

A Liquid Mycorrhiza

Rooting agent like: Dip n Grow, KLN etc NOT a rooting enhancer like Rapid Start etc Try to avoid nitrogen products here

A Pinch of Pure Phosphorus ( Raw brand is a nice choice here )

I also soak my RW cubes in this mix for 24 hours

Once ready I take the cuttings and dip them into my Rootech gel immediately after removing from cut soak one at a time the gel helps keep the soak on the stem and also seals the wound from cutting the clones.

I will also then mist them with PH water with a small amount of Amino Acids. Amino acids containing tryptophan ( not all do btw )
this will also have small trace elements that are co factors in rooting.

Then All I do is make sure the cubes stay moist not saturated. I want my cubes to be wet enough to sustain the cuts but also just wet enough that they can dry out completely in about 24-36 hours.

I get huge roots white THICK and fuzzy as hell starting in 3 and half days with a 99.9% success ratio. Almost 100% as in my EZcloner.

Warning to all you EZcloners or any one using something similar either DIY or store bought. GO EASY if you are going to try messing with a recipe like the above. Very fine line between healthy and TORCHED clones. Trust me. I torched over 500 cuts once and was only at a 385 ppm in my EZ cloner. Have fun

Mr. Clone
So Cal.

MrClone

Sorry Also forgot that lighting plays a role as well. Full spectrum lighting like 6500K but also mixed with 3000k Red's as this red spectrum will help induce rooting as well as flowering.

MrClone

Oh yes this is my feed as well until they root then I add my base N-P-K nutrients, rooting enhancer and my Fulvic acid

Indy69

Excellent posts Mr Clone. The hydration of the cuttings you mention is a very good point. I also soak my cuttings before striking and this as well as having mother plants in good health and condition is paramount in my experience to having a high success rate. Low npk for root initiation is also important I believe. I aim to have roots poking through in 10 days. Last batch of 12, 6 of those rooted in 4 days. Like you said it does depend on variety tho.

Latest posts

Latest posts