What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone with botrytis

Ravel

Is there any way to salvage a clone with botrytis? Could I just cut off all the infected leaves, hit it with a fungicide, and move it to a clean location?

Edit: the clone is a few months old, about 8 inches tall. Has several new shoots.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That's a good question friend. If you spend a lot of time on infected clones you can lose a lot of time. If you think the strain is worth the trouble and you want to take a chance on a delayed harvest.

If it were me, I would get rid of anything that is not healthy and leave those infected clones alone. If you use seed you can find your own clones. I never take any clones from any other gardens period. I don't have any problems either because of it. Sprout your seed and find and make your clones.

X15

Is there any way to salvage a clone with botrytis? Could I just cut off all the infected leaves, hit it with a fungicide, and move it to a clean location?

Edit: the clone is a few months old, about 8 inches tall. Has several new shoots.
Do you have a spot outside in the earth you can plant it in? I’m not sure where you live but here on the west coast our soil temps are going up.
You may have luck letting it grow out a couple new shoots outside that you can then select the healthiest and clone. I’d still isolate it after you bring it back in though.
Will need to harden it off a bit, protect it from direct sun for a few days to a week. I like to put them under a little portable white plastic or fabric shade for the first few days and spray them down good with some Lacto Bacillus.

Ravel

That's a good question friend. If you spend a lot of time on infected clones you can lose a lot of time. If you think the strain is worth the trouble and you want to take a chance on a delayed harvest.

If it were me, I would get rid of anything that is not healthy and leave those infected clones alone. If you use seed you can find your own clones. I never take any clones from any other gardens period. I don't have any problems either because of it. Sprout your seed and find and make your clones.
The thing is these are clones I took from my own seed plants. I also have the revegs of the same plants which were unfortunately in the same tent haha, but I see no sickness on them.

I ended up killing 5 out of 6 clones. The 6th had no signs of illness at all. The fact that it hasn't been infected is probably a good omen for that individual.

The reveg plants have yet to sprout new shoots, but the old remaining leaves don't look sick. Fingers crossed.

Edit: I took these clones in case one of the plants was a winner. I'm revegging the main plants as backup. Still waiting for the tests though.

Last edited:

Ravel

Do you have a spot outside in the earth you can plant it in? I’m not sure where you live but here on the west coast our soil temps are going up.
You may have luck letting it grow out a couple new shoots outside that you can then select the healthiest and clone. I’d still isolate it after you bring it back in though.
Will need to harden it off a bit, protect it from direct sun for a few days to a week. I like to put them under a little portable white plastic or fabric shade for the first few days and spray them down good with some Lacto Bacillus.
If botrytis is systemic wouldn't taking healthy cuttings from an infected plant still lead to more infection? Or does it not work like that?

therevverend

Veteran
Since it's systemic it's always going to be susceptible. However if you avoid the conditions that cause botrytis it'll be fine. Like you suggested, removed the infected plant material and move it to better conditions. A botrytis outbreak requires high humidity, above 60%, and temperatures between 62 and 74 degrees F. A well-draining soil is important. Botrytis spores are almost everywhere, at the grocery store, and in our houses.

Long term your best option is to find a good male and make seeds. You don't want the seeds to germinate during a botrytis outbreak or the seedlings could have it systemically as well. Where I grow, outdoors in the PNW, botrytis is a constant problem. My two solutions are to outgrow it, produce enough ganja that if some rots it doesn't matter. And select for strains that are resistant.