What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone Shipper

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I contacted the mfg for the light they say only 24hr run time for the light... Kinda why I was motivated to make my own.. For some of us in farther locations we need longer run times. I guess we could have it goldstreak express on an airline but that's a very expensive service makes fedex look slow..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
very cool ..yeehaw...sweet way to ship rooted clones if lazy and over abundance of money...I will prob get a couple just because...I would hate for the little light to turn on during shippin with a damaged package...

I wonder if the light being on would allow a postal scanner to notice it being different from all the other packages traveling under them ? I don't want to ever make their job easier.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
very cool ..yeehaw...sweet way to ship rooted clones if lazy and over abundance of money...I will prob get a couple just because...I would hate for the little light to turn on during shippin with a damaged package...

I use multiple layers of opaque materials even if there were tears in the box it should be ok.. It holds the light battery pack and gel packs so there is no movement.

I made a clone shipper box for stoned40yrs he was having problems with clones from the southeast us. I just shipped him some clones from southwest us..

Really the problem is the cost for that design. I shipped at least 8 plants so i can make a shipping solution for a fraction of the cost 1 or two for short distances is ok during these mild temps..using the commercial design But if temps are too hot or cold it's a problem for
some of us.

Really the problem for the powered shippers is the battery itself. If there was a failure that caused melting or a fire.. I however have not found a solution like a chemical light stick that will stay on that long.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
For a couple of days is the light really that big of deal? I would be more concerned with temps.

Youre probably right.. But I would try to reduce stress as much as possible and not try to trigger flowering. The cost to fabricate a led light with a run time close to 100 hours is under 8 dollars a few minutes of soldering.

But yes shipping without a light isn't a requirement for short delivery times.. And has been done successfully without it.

The usps has a flate rate box so I tried to design a shipper to hold 3 gel packs and I had room for a light. So I'll try to do whatever I can within the box since weight isn't the issue.. Just has to fit in the box

Given the relatively high value of clones especially if I have to buy them I try to make sure I have no doa clones.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I contacted the mfg for the light they say only 24hr run time for the light... Kinda why I was motivated to make my own.. For some of us in farther locations we need longer run times. I guess we could have it goldstreak express on an airline but that's a very expensive service makes fedex look slow..

I wonder if the light being on would allow a postal scanner to notice it being different from all the other packages traveling under them ? I don't want to ever make their job easier.

Those lights will stay on way longer than 24 hours. If you are worried about light peaking through in case of a damaged box then wrap the clone shippers in thick black plastic trash bags. Contractor trash bags from a big box store work great. I think they are a really good product if you want to ship rooted clones. If you are only mailing unrooted cuts then I would just stick them in a bottle or other methods mentioned on here and make sure they get to where they are going quick.

Lyfespan

lights have lasted 72 hours or more, i have cases of these things, use them all the time. never use USPS :tiphat:

always willing to send a few out in trade for cuts :thank you:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
lights have lasted 72 hours or more, i have cases of these things, use them all the time. never use USPS :tiphat:

always willing to send a few out in trade for cuts :thank you:

I would argue and say USPS over the other private shippers. It's my understanding that the USPS needs a warrant to search your packages where as Fedex, UPS, etc. don't.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
I would argue and say USPS over the other private shippers. It's my understanding that the USPS needs a warrant to search your packages where as Fedex, UPS, etc. don't.

:yeahthats, I believe you are correct on that. First Class Mail and above needs a warrant to open. UPS and FedEX are private carriers and not obligated to the same laws. They can search whatever package they want. From a business standpoint......why would they? Each package is $ for the shareholders.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've never tried a rooted clone but for shipping cuttings (no roots) I like McDonalds straws (theyre big) fold one end, tape, take 'cutting' wrap cut end with couple inches of paper towel, thick enough to snugly fit in the straw, no leaves, only the tip nub.. not too much water, fold other end, tape, multiples in bubble type envelope and the most important step ... next day air. and the recipient has to know how to clone. Use USPS, they need a warrant to open mail.. others do not. Id guess if ya used test tubes, rooted clones with leaves would work too.. but the straws bend and flex like the cut inside.. not too much water.

N

noyd666

and then it arrives with black stems and pretty much dead. fair to say it was 22 days in transit.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
After having some experience with the clone shipping thing I think the clone shipper is an incomplete solution for sending clones in the mail. It looks like it offers excellent protection for clones from impact, or shifting loads.

You could do the same thing for much cheaper, and if transport times are short, the light isn't necessary, and in fact gelpacks are more important than the light..

I've had good results simply wrapping the rockwool cube in plastic, then taping the wrapped part of the cube to the tupperware container and taped that to the container so it doesnt move. A few gelpacks and stuff to keep it from shifting, as well as other things to avoid detection. Worked for me mailing clones from the southwest to all the way here.

I'm still trying to refine my design.. but the concepts are pretty simple if you have to make a box on the go.

It does look very professional... If I was shipping clones like a pro, I would use the clone shipper.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

whats the longest ship time , you guys rekon , with this fancy contraption .lol

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
best and cheapest way to send cuts.

Zip lock baggie, quart size.

Take cuts, clip leaves.

Put in bag.

Leave bag open for 30 minutes to let the excessive moisture from the cuts on the leaves and stems evaporate.

Seal bag.

Store in a dark place or send.

Can sit in a sock drawer for 3 weeks. as long as moisture stays outa the bag and light away from it.

Shipping easy, just send the bag

Water makes cuts go bad. even in the two day usps shipping, we don't know what the environment is they get exposed too.

Over nighting cuts is costly.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
best and cheapest way to send cuts.

Zip lock baggie, quart size.

Take cuts, clip leaves.

Put in bag.

Leave bag open for 30 minutes to let the excessive moisture from the cuts on the leaves and stems evaporate.

Seal bag.

Store in a dark place or send.

Can sit in a sock drawer for 3 weeks. as long as moisture stays outa the bag and light away from it.

Shipping easy, just send the bag

Water makes cuts go bad. even in the two day usps shipping, we don't know what the environment is they get exposed too.

Over nighting cuts is costly.
Air fare to go getem is more $$ than overnite.. if ya live in a place like Fla, getting clones isn't easy..

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Air fare to go getem is more $$ than overnite.. if ya live in a place like Fla, getting clones isn't easy..

so the 6$ box from USPS is more $$ than the overnight?

lmfao :laughing:

it comes with tracking, two day guarantee and insurance hahaha

I don't think you understand how epic usps priority shipping is.

6$ box
14$ box...

you over night the 10 packs ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts