What's new

Clone issues?

D

Duplicate

The "KISS" concept really does apply in every aspect of growing. The fewer steps and additives a person must go through, monitor, and maintain; the more reliable and consistent your setup will be.
And trouble shooting is obviously much easier when you reduce your x factors.

For me it didn't really seem like I did much different from the beginning to where I am now but for whatever reason my success rates are much higher now. It seems to be one of those things; more experience = higher success rate.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
what a kill joy...

day 6 and every clone is now limp as a noodle...i checked the water and the fucking water pump overheated...cause they were sitting in a jacuzzi.

Got so pissed, cause afterall the advice u guys gave me I though id be in good shape..sure enough the next day this happend.

so limp, i mean jack daniels limp if u know what I mean.

i think lokes and stress..u guys recall how healthy they looked. And now they are pure noodles, boiled pasta, w.e.

i got pissed off at this botanicare 25. I know someone recommended getting a bigger pump.Which I do have. But it does not have that threaded part as the pump that comes with the Bot 25 has.

So I figured my only attempt to salvage them was to put them into rapid rooters/tray with dome. And the new 12 I cut, looked very perky..and bam Noodle mode.

Is this common? I am being as simple as I can with this.

trips

zgpowmonkey

Simpler is better..for me!

Simpler is better..for me!

Not sure this will help your current prob, but maybe for future consideration....
I've never used a cloning machine. For my small med setup, this method works well. First, soak some a-ok rockwool plugs in some ph'd (5.5) weak, balanced nute solution, like 150 ppm. I harvest the cuts. Personally, I like small guys, like 5" or less, which seem to transpire less water, however it takes longer to get a plant to the size I like to flower. It's necessary in my setup, as I need the time for the girls in my flower cab to finish. Anyway, i cut them at an angle, dip them in some Olivia's cloning gel and throw them in the holes in the cubes. I trim all the "big" fans in half. Then into the domed tray they go, with the vents closed. I dump about a cup of the solution I soaked the cubes in, into the bottom of the tray.They get an 80w fluoro fixture with a plant bulb right on top of the dome. This goes on a shelf near my vegging setup, so the temps are always around 75 deg. F. I then leave them alone for about a week, no peeking. This is what happens around 10 days or so:

Then they move to the bigger cubes:

and so on:

These little girls have actually been in there for 2 weeks, but only because they're looking for homes still, prob heading outdoors soon. Many folks have success with the active cloning systems. This works for me, At a 95% success rate, and never have to worry about pumps, spec solutions or daily checks. Sorry if I jacked your thread a little, and I hope this helps. K.I.S.S. all the way!

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Very cool, so with Domes you close vents 100% for 10days?
Not evne close to jacking the thread buddy!

Thanks alot for your little write up Monkey.
So with your method you never get that noodle droop huh?

zgpowmonkey

Ya, unless it rains or snows for days here (practically never in the CO mountains), vents stay closed. Otherwise all water evaps in about 5 days. Doesn't hurt to hit with a couple sprays of h2o2 diluted by half. Couple times I've gotten a slime around the stem, but h2o2 knocks it out overnight. Now I just use it as a preventative. Other than that, with proper cleaning in between crops, it's basically foolproof. I've also had good success with 50/50 perlite and vermiculite, soaked in the same solution, but I was in soil then. Same deal with the dome and vents. If you try it, and it's humid where you live, you may have to fiddle with the vents. This setup can definitely be too wet, and I found that roots will pop out sooner if the cubes dry just a little and kind of need to reach out for water. Happy cloning! Oh yeah, no noodle droop, at least not yet.

Last edited:

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
Very cool, so with Domes you close vents 100% for 10days?
Not evne close to jacking the thread buddy!

Thanks alot for your little write up Monkey.
So with your method you never get that noodle droop huh?

I open both vents 1/4 or so, and start removing them a few hours a time after day 4 or 5.
100% success in rapid rooters with PH5.4-5.8 with Superthrive and sometimes I'll add Sea Kelp extract for stress.

After day 8-10 or first roots, I'll add a micro nute, cal/mg or something with a light N to keep em green.

Almost have it perfected, but I still have just a little yellowing occur on some of the stock.

But not enough to matter.

Latest posts

Latest posts