What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Click bait scams

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heads up there are many scammers out there trying to gain access to your info.. The only thing to remember is to NEVER click on any link sent to you in an email. The latest scam is the google password found in a data breach. This is not real do not click on the link in these emails!!! If you are concerned and still wish to change your password go to your google account directly to change it. Do not use a link.

Project1.png

Goldboyd

I hate wrong button scams. The kind similiar to lagging internet and it gives u an option and if u dont read it fully u hit the wrong button

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
One floating around Canada, ever since the announcement from Ontario premier of cancelling license plate tags. They say, you have a refund coming click here! Arrived on my phone. I'm in NS and no such announcement was made.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
we keep getting phone calls saying "push 1 to allow payment on your XXX dollar order from whoeverthehell.com, or it will be cancelled, or push 2 to prevent further calls...". if you, by mistake, EVER answer a phone call from anyone you do not know, DO NOT say the word "yes" or "okay" for any reason whatsoever. they ARE recording the call, and can create a faked scenario where you are saying "yes" to whatever they are trying to get you to order or pay for online...your bank etc SHOULD see through it, but i'm not risking it.

janglos199

I also have been getting a strange phone calls. They are claiming that I have an account on some kind of trading website, which turned out to be a scam. Now they want to secure my data by closing the my account on this website. I told them that I have never visited said website, but they claim how I am in danger that someone else has opened an account in my name. Why are people like this?

Gry

Veteran
Had a call on my cell phone 20 minutes ago. Was a mechanized sounding voice asking about a pending amazon order.
Was offered an A or B choice, I took A , and was transferred to what sounded like a busy call center and a nice lady saying "Amazon, how may I help you." .
I hung up on her with out saying anything and checked my account on line, I had no pending orders. Be careful.

Looking at AOH's post, this sure had that feel to it.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just remember the only way they can gain access is if you click on a link. Everyone that gets hacked was done this way.. There is some info that hackers can get into apple products without clicking links. I would suggest using super strong passwords that are at least 11 characters using upper/lower case with numbers.

Last edited:

grayeyes

The email ones I despise are the ones that say "you won". After telling you about the prize ie $100 of gasoline, they then tell you there is a 'shipping and handling fee'. That isn't the worry. The worry is they want you to pay with your card online. Then they enter you into "programs' where they nick you for $80 here and $120 there.
I have had it happen twice. I no longer even open those.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The Uber play would have been an off site link to IP capture. Then ransom responders to the thread.

Reactions: ost

moose eater

Heads up there are many scammers out there trying to gain access to your info.. The only thing to remember is to NEVER click on any link sent to you in an email. The latest scam is the google password found in a data breach. This is not real do not click on the link in these emails!!! If you are concerned and still wish to change your password go to your google account directly to change it. Do not use a link.

View attachment 18069878
I run tight, very good security on my computer, by most standards; ESET Nod32, along with their banking security system for online purchases.

Never had a noteworthy detection of 'bugs' in the years that I've owned it, which has been may years with that security system..

Then a couple months ago I noted that when I would try to shut down the system it would notify me that the work from an existing open file would be lost if I shut down then.

Nevertheless, with no files of MINE open that I was aware of, I would shut it down.

A couple weeks ago, maybe as many as 4 weeks now, when shutting down, the computer would reboot rather than shut down. I assumed it was either a glitch in an overworked or dusty system, or malware of some sort.

So, I ran a custom scan for my back-up stand-alone hard drive as well as the desk-top computer. And I often run scans aside from the pre-scheduled scans anyway, just for ease of mind.

A file appeared that ESET stated could not be cleaned and offered me the option of deleting the file, which at times I hesitate to do, uncertain of the implications for other aspects of my OS and other files. I intuitively wanted the thig gone, like a tick embedded on the back of one's knee. And I deleted it post haste.

Lo and behold, the computer ceased trying to stay 'up', but the next time I went to the Microsoft News Page (what had been acting as my start-up page; MSNBC but a conglomerate that posts everything from FOX, to publications most have never heard of, and often don't want or need to), the page instead went to a blank page with only their search stuff at the top; no typical content for that page.

For now, I've concluded that some of the stuff I discuss online had me pegged for some reason, or they were falling prey to someone running malware linked to their ports at their servers. Who knows?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have been getting numerous calls of late on my cell. It's the no default kind (or whatever they call them). Press 1 for English, press 2 for Chinese. Just last week, it said I had a parcel with CP, that I hadn't picked up yet and only had 2 days to do so. The package was pick up 2 days after my original notice.

We are being spied upon, Snowden told us so. Those phone calls are the activation code.