What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

clearly not suited to be an oligarch ...

BudToaster

Veteran
from NYTimes

And then there was Charles Feeney.

Feeney, who died yesterday at age 92, amassed an estimated $8 billion fortune as the co-founder of Duty Free Shops, but made it his life’s goal to give away virtually all his wealth before he died. (He succeeded in 2016.) Bill Gates once called Feeney “the ultimate example of giving while living,” while Warren Buffett said Feeney was “my hero and Bill Gates’s hero — he should be everybody’s hero.”
More from The Times’s Robert McFadden:

His name appeared on none of the 1,000 buildings on five continents that he gave $2.7 billion to fund. Grants to institutions and individuals were paid by cashier’s checks to conceal the source. Beneficiaries were told that the money came from a generous “client” who wished to remain anonymous. Those who learned his identity were told not to reveal his involvement.
His philanthropic organizations were incorporated in Bermuda to avoid United States disclosure requirements, although the arrangements disallowed United States tax deductions for his donations. …
In his last decades Mr. Feeney did not own a home or a car, wore a $10 wristwatch, preferred buses to taxis and, until he was 75, flew coach. He and his second wife lived in a two-bedroom rented apartment in San Francisco.

maybe a hero to Buffett and Gate, but clearly not someone to emulate.

BudToaster

Veteran
not to worry, the true oligarchs have you covered ...

During a speech at the ReAwaken America tour, Dr. Zelenko broke down why you shouldn’t trust Bill Gates.

In 2015, Bill Gates said the population needed to be reduced by 10 to 15 percent. In 2020, he said, 7 billion people must be vaccinated.

So, Dr. Zelenko proposed this question: “Why would I take a vaccine for my health which is financed and produced by someone who wants to decrease the world population?” And if you asked yourself that question and realized you shouldn’t get vaccinated, you probably made the best healthcare decision of your life.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
.....maybe a hero to Buffett and Gate, but clearly not someone to emulate.

why is that guy not a good role model for those who have amassed over a Billion dollar fortune?

just b/c gates looks at him as a hero.......and you believe this b/c of your opinion on gates? dont be like that guy b/s bill gates likes him...........what should that billionaire done with his money?

peace

BudToaster

Veteran
i think Charles Feeney is an incredible example of how to handle personal wealth. how a person uses their wealth is their business (gender neutral).

i am more and more surprised (when i think about it) that wealth has become such an important measure of a person. like the old meme: he who dies with the most toys wins! (gender specific, for the time)

as for me, i am almost always carrying a debt load ... there was that one day in 2000 when i was at $zero (thank-you y2k computer job), but it was just a passing phase.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I feel like you are sending mixed signals.

I'm also baffled by the gender clarification.

Have you been evaluated by a medical professional?

BudToaster

Veteran
i credit what i learned from Tony Robbins with getting my last job - programmer at MicroProse. my last grasp at the computer game industry with a potential for getting in on stock IPO. i was a bit older than the manager was looking for - but the possibility of age and experience was enticing, plus i used TR mimicking technique to show engagement during the interview. interesting time. games went from a guy in his basement (like me) to teams - lol, 8 bodies. not like the thousands that do Halo.

but alas, wild bill ran into lipkin and tanked the company. too bad. it was profit share. the ONLY way to run a company with employees, imho.

buzzmobile

Veteran
it was profit share. the ONLY way to run a company with employees, imho.
I agree.

BudToaster

Veteran
1697399654976.png

Shua1991

You cannot amass that level of wealth and remain impartial. You eventually become consumed by the influence it provides over others, bill gates is a sociopathic pedophile, who cares who he looks up to or pretends to emulate.

Billionaires are not heroes, the laborers who maintain society are, billionaires are simply leaches on an already thriving ecosystem.

Last edited: