What's new

Clear strain recommendations

MostlyMe

Veteran
Nice to know we are chasing the same effect, Musta. It's something you just have to experience to really know what it is. If you have been smoking indica's and hybrids all the time, you might easily describe a good sativa as clear. A lot of sativa's certainly don't fog up the mind as much, but haze did not get it's name by accident.

We're looking for oddballs, where genetics, phenotype, grow style, harvest timing and curing come together to produce this effect. My chances of finding it are very slim, because I have a 4 plant grow tent and nothing else. Fortunately, I do like the whole spectrum of cannabis from the most narcotic indica to the raciest sativa. So my harvests will never go to waste :D

I think I got Congo/African genetics covered with the Bangi Haze, White Magic is interesting too though. I'll explore Thai genetics another time, when get over my fear of those long flowering ladies.

Jhhnn

Veteran
If you are looking for clear energetic/euphoric high with no comedown or any stone or narcotic effect, then welcome aboard mate! It will be a tough trip but we'll reach our destination sooner or later! ;)

If this is this case, I would definitely forget about anything with skunk and comercial strains unless it's a clone from a specific and very special selection. For example some old clones of Haze X Skunk, Mango Haze or even Jack Herer if you want... although skunk or afghan genes means normally some kind of come down after the initial clear or euphoric high. And seriously, C99, Lemon Skunk and all that stuff is quite far from having a clear sativa high if you ask me. One of those you almost don't realize until you see yourself cleaning the house, talking non-stop or doing a crazy Soul Trail line in your sitting room after a nice dinner with your friends.

Anyway, some great suggestions, I would say also Congolese and some African strains or South Indian and South East Asian. Another great source will be the underground spanish seedbank Original Delicatessen, they have the best balance between fast, clear and tasty fruity sativas (african genes mostly and even a '79 mexican from R. Clarke, and the only fast plants I've tried that keep the clear and energetic high). Some good reviews on Zamal crosses (Zamaldelica maybe) and Panama, Mextiza or Red Snake from CBG. OT Haze and Meao Thai crosses as well... White Magic from Mandala would be much better option in my opinion than Beyond the Brain, Satori and Krystalica are renowned also but I would definitely stay with the congolese, based on pure experience with this pure caffeine strains. Colombian Black was around as well and has great reviews but many Colombians have a warm comedown.

Although like with any other strain, you need to look for the winner pheno because this grail we chase is quite elusive and statistically difficult to find. Of course, certain genepools increase the chances of finding the gold but it's really a matter of trying! Chopping time and curing also make a big difference but I think that's the best path to choose.

Like a friend said, back in the days weed used to be something to get you high, comparable to LSD and stuff like that. A substance to enhance your activities, senses and perception... nowadays on the other hand (and after all the afghan genes came to the scene in the 70-80s), weed became something to get you stoned and lazy, unable to do anything but staying at the the sofa (couchlocked, right? LOL), comparable to heroin and opium instead. Those are all the trendy comercial strains nowadays, almost impossible to find a different vibe between them.

Nightime isn't either the time to smoke this kind of tropical trippy stuff though, even when you are a little bit tired, the effect is way different. Set and setting make a big difference with weed. So when you indulge a little bit (too much is bad too and you will miss the point) during the day or in the morning when you have plenty of activities ahead, now life becomes such a different and enjoyable thing! ;)

Vibes.

Agreed, for the most part. Even back in the day, there was a lot of variation in the high from Mexican weed. It's a big country. Not all Mexicans had that bell ringer high, but the ones that did are fondly remembered. And, for sure, we never knew what region it really came from even when buying weight from smugglers.

Back then the international cannabis culture was just emerging. For many years prior, Drug cannabis was only grown in rather remote regions all over the globe with little interchange of genetics even among neighboring regions. In that sense, Afghanistan is a big country, too, with cultivars varying by region. I'm sure it's very different now after decades of war.

That sort of variation was true of Hashish, as well. circa 1970, we had a terrific DU connection with the son of a foreign diplomat stationed in Pakistan. He brought us an amazing variety of the stuff. People swore that the black hand rubbed afghani of the era had opium in it, but the sieved Pakistani was considerably more of an up experience. At that, of course, positive ID was impossible.

That may be why the Ace & Cannabiogen selections have more of what we're after, having PCK rather than Afghani in their ancestry.

Dunno, really- just speculating. If this Royal Flush I'm growing now turns out well, I may try Eldorado next fall. I have very limited space, and stretchy long flowering sativas may be a serious PITA, if you know what I mean. I need to get better at this, I think, before going there.

We're looking for oddballs, where genetics, phenotype, grow style, harvest timing and curing come together to produce this effect.

Wise words. Perhaps the truest of all.

I can run a strain, with a friend growing the same, and we end up with fairly different results.

satva

Veteran
Destroyer is a clear refined high, spacious with a calm energetic high ~ 14 -16 weeks. I'm currently looking for Meao Thai phenos both a male and female > F2. Destroyer is my current favorite high.

Highland Mexican / Blueberry is a clear high, more earthly and energetic than Destroyer, great for gardening and outdoor activities. I found a Highland Mexican male, the high was similar to the high quality Mexicans from the 1970's clear, a bit psychedelic, very energetic with an expanded sense of space and sensory awareness. The female I've been cloning is about 50% - 50%, but still clearer than hazey Mango Haze phenos +13 weeks.

If you vaporize at relatively low temperatures, under 300 degrees Faharenheit, you'll vaporize the THC / THCV and more clear oils leave the CBN and less clear oils behind which vaporize at + 300 degrees. That's what I do with the infamous mango pheno of Mango Haze, which is a bit too indica for my taste.

There are Mango haze phenos +15 weeks that are clear, calm, and focused, another one that is more psychedelic and more body stone, spacey, calm, and fun, but not as clear +14 weeks.

Highland Oaxacan Gold from 1975, was very clear, euphoric, the Mexican in Highland Mexican is Guerero, the mountians north of Acapluco. Without the Blueberry a Highland Guerrero pheno will be challenging indoors and yields are light. In my Highland Mexican/ BB F2 there are solid light brown seeds and striped seeds. I remember Mexican seeds were often solid light brown, I'll find out soon enough.

Destroyer and Highland Mexican / Blueberry are very vigorous, stretching more than double of a Mango haze.

satva

Veteran
Homegrown vaporizer:

Hot plate, metal water bottle, or heat resistant glass beaker, heavy black rubber stopper, two holes for draw tubing, and vent tubing, a stopper for one of the tubes, and a pair of gloves.

Note the temperature where water boils, the water is 212 degrees Fahrenheit and the hot plate is hotter. Increase the temperature on the hot plate to above 280 degrees Fahrenheit, but less than 350 degrees. Once the bottle/beaker reaches the correct temperature, you can wander around with the bottle and add more product.

Crush or grind the marijuana into a fine powder, and use a wire screen to further screen and filter the powder.

The initial vapor will be sweet and floral, and then a bit more spicy, similar to the initial draw on fresh buds, then become a bit smoke favored like burnt popcorn. The vaporized marijuana is brown / dark brown. The lower the temperature and the lighter colored the marijuana you discard the clearer the high will be.

This is a direct draw, if you are not continuous drawing air thru the bottle/beaker nothing is happening, the vapor stays in the bottle. There is no fan and no plastic turkey bags When you need a break put the stopper in the end of one of the tubes. Or retrofit a plastic turkey bag with a valve, if your heart desires. he he he....

You can set the temperature higher and take more of the heavier oils that vaporize at higher temperatures, the vapor will be thick, smokey tasting and the discarded marijuana will be black.

For the cleanest high start with a low temperature setting where THC and THCV vaporize. At the low range, the high is cleaner than smoking, and takes lower to get high.

Vaporization temperatures:
THCV - 280 degrees
THC-8 - 292 degrees
THC - 300 degrees
CBC - 345 degrees
CBD - 403 degrees
CBN - 414 degrees

Most hot plates deliver temperatures high enough for marijuana combustion, and the surface area of metal bottle / beaker to hot plate is large. You can load a lot of marijuana. If the discarded marijuana is grey ash and the taste is burned and smokey you'd defeated the purpose - lower the temperature.

Inhaling vapors at a medium range from my experience removes many of the harmful effects of marijuana. It takes me much longer to vape a gram of marijuana, than smoking. I'm a whimp and load about 1/8 teaspoon of the ground powder per serving, and vape about a gram or so in 4 -5 rounds. Sometimes I disgard after every round which is cleanest, or sometimes discard when the taste becomes slightly burnt.

For a treat, dry sieve /screen to get the white resin glands and start your day with a resin gland vape and cup of coffee. ;-)

Destroyer and Mango Haze at 16 weeks of flower- it won't be long now.

Hopefully, someone finds this helplful and healthy....

PS> No more than $30 total with a top shelf Walmart hot plate.

wingdings

Veteran
Bangi Haze is a big winner, along with the F13. Apollo 11 is a good solid grower and I always like reaching for that jar.
Mextiza from Cannabiogen is '79 Oaxacan x Nepalese/Jamaican. Which is another absolute winning sativa with clear enjoyable effects.
Your Panama from CBG is from the same seedlot as Ace's Panama, it is a mutual strain between the two.

early_bird

Veteran
Thanks you all for your input, very nice read :thank you:

I´m in search for the same clear up-high, Bangi Haze, Kali Mist, Panama, Satori and BTB was already on my list.
White Magic is new, thanks for the tip, now on my Todo-list too ;)

Don´t forget Zamal ! What i read about it´s exactly was i´m searching for. But hard to find seeds :(

I tried already 8 Miles High and C99. C99 is clearer if harvested early. I got a late and a early cut, the early one keep my baked all day with amazing lot of energy! Not superclear but also not so foggy than other strains, really good stuff. (but maybe it has just been a good pheno, don´t know)

The 3 plants i harvested later has been solid and good sativa bud, nothing special on the clear-high side. Overall i found C99 excellent stuff but also to racy. (but good to go to an festival and start dancing).

harry74

Veteran

The Kushberry I´m smoking has a quite clear effect.
I´m a early riser, wake up around 5:00 AM and I usually smoke this with the 1 coffee.
The effect is in the mind, I feel stimulated,activated,uplifted I don´t have any physical feeling, may be a bit of pressure on the forehead.
I´ll be flowering some in my next indoor run.
She is a 8 weeker more or less (less flowering time).
Quite cheap ( 30 euro 10 seeds).
May be I will be able to lab test a sample of my cutting in the near future ....
If that is the case, I will let you know the data....

The pics:
4 X KB from seed
My KB cutting
Dried bud from indoors
KB cutting outdoor
Hash made mostly of KB and Blueberry

Greetings

Dirk907

MostlyMe - How goes the search? I also am looking for a very clear strain to add to the collection. I'd be curious to hear about your findings over the past year or two.

early_bird

Veteran
Bangi Haze from ACE Seeds does it for me.

It´t like smoking coffeine, clear and up.
But not good for chilling on the couch, because you get so active ;)
Postet a smoke Report somewhere in the ACE Forum here on ICMag.