What's new

Cleaning up STICKIES. Input welcome.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you guys are going to put together a database of information, then send it to me when you're finished in a PM. Don't post it or it may get replied to before I can get around to sticking it. Take your time and let me know when it's finished.
Burn1

maryjohn

Veteran
thats a good idea mj if people can agree on what is 'approved' and what isnt...

well if there is controversy we can just note that instead of taking sides. Start with a list of products where there is consensus (like synthetic compounds not found in nature), and keep a separate list of products over which reasonable people can disagree (as in H2O2).

As for labeling, I don't think most noobs are aware that the labeling system required by law does not always work well with organics (NPK, for instance), and they need to be looking in a different way at what is there, and more important, what isn't. It's also a good idea to learn to estimate price from raw ingredients to tell the difference between quality and rip-off.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Burn

what about putting all stickies under the organic soil reference library ? It's like a closet, your house looks nice, but behind the closet you have a bunch of stuff piled in there..

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's my opinion that stickies should be up there for newbies to organic soil. I remember when I first got into this at Overgrow, I was overwhelmed and gave up almost immediately. But I found information and I began to read. As I read, I learned.
You guys need to keep in mind that the purpose of IC is to help people grow their own. I think there are a LOT of people reading this forum that never register or post. They're too afraid of getting caught.
I'd say there is only a small percentage of advanced organic soil growers here. Some of you are way over my head. I think the vast majority of organic soil growers want to keep their grow simple and easy.
That does NOT mean we can't have a sticky on advanced techniques, research and theory. I just think most of that should be in the open forum for discussion.
Again, JMO.
Burn1

V

vonforne

'd say there is only a small percentage of advanced organic soil growers here. Some of you are way over my head. I think the vast majority of organic soil growers want to keep their grow simple and easy.

I was thinking the same thing. I will keep it simple and to the point. With the profi inputs and our closet growers input to put the information to practical use like I did in the first tea thread.......but with some better base information..I will have it in a day and a half for you guys to add to and the B1 will approve and place the final thread.

V

C

CT Guy

V and B1,

I was thinking about the stuff relating to tea and thought that maybe 2 stickies would be good. One would be a FAQ, where questions that are asked all the time could be answered, like "what size pump do I need for a 5 gal. brew?" or "does foam mean I have a good tea?" or "how long should I brew for?" or "do I need a different tea for bloom vs veg vs flowering?" You could even include dissenting opinions. Also maybe have a recipes section there.

The 2nd sticky could go more in-depth into how to make your own brewer, what works, what doesn't, how different food sources effect microbial growth, etc...

Just a thought.....I think it's going to be hard to condense it all to 1 article without making it super long.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's my opinion that stickies should be up there for newbies to organic soil. I remember when I first got into this at Overgrow, I was overwhelmed and gave up almost immediately. But I found information and I began to read. As I read, I learned.
You guys need to keep in mind that the purpose of IC is to help people grow their own. I think there are a LOT of people reading this forum that never register or post. They're too afraid of getting caught.
I'd say there is only a small percentage of advanced organic soil growers here. Some of you are way over my head. I think the vast majority of organic soil growers want to keep their grow simple and easy.
That does NOT mean we can't have a sticky on advanced techniques, research and theory. I just think most of that should be in the open forum for discussion.
Again, JMO.
Burn1

this is true, I didn't know shit about organics till I came here, but I learn something everyday from the pros that post here.

and yes, alot of people never post as they are scared, being scared is bringing that vibe into the scene but that's a different story..

yes I agree with keeping "advanced topics" to the open forum, as I kinda feel most the advanced topics being talked about right now are at the first stage of discovery, and are not concrete information yet..

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like the reference library thread with links inside, maybe we can take it one step further and categorize the threads in the library. sections like composting, soil basics, compost tea, FAQ's, etc.. so when you go to the reference library and know what your looking for you can go to the section needed and there will be a list of threads related. im sure we will be adding more and more threads to it overtime, it would suck if it was all jumbled up.

if you want me to write anything or gather info let me know. i got TONS of notes.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jaykush-
That would be great. Maybe you could make up a template like you are talking about.
I have to work the next eight days straight on twelve hour shifts. It will be late next week before I can get much work done on it. See what you can come up with and PM it to me. I can probably cut and paste most of it.
If anyone else wants to put together a layout, PM it to me as well.
Burn1

J

JackTheGrower

I'm in but, often feel out of sync with what's popular..

It's really true that a simple start approach is needed..

But for all the work maybe we should make a booklet and video..
I kinda miss the long work days .. Wait I miss the big paychecks.

So where are they coming from and what is their motivation for organic growing..

I agree it's a small percent but you know I'd rather have one great friend than 10 soso's..

What I remember "daydreaming" about when starting out to grow cannabis was that there could be some "magic" substance I might add and the plant would compete world class! Lucky I turned to the natural right away.. Hey I was 4 when I fell in love with Organic soil.. Honestly true!

: Some thoughts on structure..

Organic soil is simply the good earth nature has provided. Where we the gardener comes into the picture is by harnessing the mechanisms of the natural world in a controlled environment.

Welcome to Organic soil.

A wise man once wrote:
"An organic farm, properly speaking, is not one that uses certain methods and substances and avoids others; it is a farm whose structure is formed in imitation of the structure of a natural system that has the integrity, the independence and the benign dependence of an organism" Wendell Berry, The Gift of Good Land

In truth that is the secret of Organic Soil.

How we implement the use of the natural is called our "style."

For example, the easiest way to grow organically is simply to prepare an area in the garden outside and plant a seed..
With cannabis we often wish to pay special attention to the plants we grow, especially organic soil growers.
o What are
: Bacteria
: Fungus
: ......

o Growing in a soil mix.
: Mix one
: Mix two
: Mix three

o The materials we use
: For Nitrogen
: For Phosphorus
: For Potassium
: For Minerals
: For trace elements

o What is?
: Nitrogen
: Phosphorus
: Potassium
: Minerals
: Trace elements
: .....

o Styles and Techniques
: JackTheGrowers perpetual soil method
: JayKush's Fantastic method..
: Newbee's easy start method

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Look about right in intent fellas?

Feel free to make changes.. It's about the Organic Soil family IMO..

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For example, the easiest way to grow organically is simply to prepare an area in the garden outside and plant a seed..
With cannabis we often wish to pay special attention to the plants we grow, especially organic soil growers.
o What are

o Growing in a soil mix.
: Mix one
: Mix two
: Mix three

i know you posted just a quick layout but see here is where most of the problems start i think. people are starting ahead of where most should with bacteria and fungi and things like that. then not knowing the basics get all confused. when it should look more like this imo for a beginner to start with.

o what is soil
:different types of soil
:soil properties ( texture, structure, etc...)
:soil life
:...

o What are

o Growing in a soil mix.
: materials
: amendments ( and why )
: mixing
: using
: re-using

just a thought

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
I may be off topic a little bit but, Maybe there should also be a thread cleanup go thru and clean out threads like yummybuds, and threads that have not been viewed or replied to in years and with deleted pics. As well as no info..Maybe clear up some bandwidth.. for the growers that post up pics with info, the relevant threads.. Just a suggestion.. peace..

sack

J

JackTheGrower

i know you posted just a quick layout but see here is where most of the problems start i think. people are starting ahead of where most should with bacteria and fungi and things like that. then not knowing the basics get all confused. when it should look more like this imo for a beginner to start with.

just a thought

Sure! It all starts with the soil!

With a beginner they may want a quick start option so perhaps the intro: Soil is bla lah..
Then maybe Quick start guide : with soil mixes and feeding recommendations..

Then maybe the real meal deal of organic soil microbes and all. Call that Intermediate level?

Then the recycling and Teas and what not in the Advanced topic category

Would we want

Intro to Organic soil growing :

Quick Start: ( beginner )

( need name for it ) : Intermediate

( Need name for it ) : Advanced topics Teas and recycling soil and such

Sort of format? will that hold up over the years?

Having a bad day with no meds my friends.. Back to bed for some more reading.

It's hard not to write a whole book..

J

JackTheGrower

I may be off topic a little bit but, Maybe there should also be a thread cleanup go thru and clean out threads like yummybuds, and threads that have not been viewed or replied to in years and with deleted pics. As well as no info..Maybe clear up some bandwidth.. for the growers that post up pics with info, the relevant threads.. Just a suggestion.. peace..

sack

Perhaps.. I wish i could go and delete some of the dumb posts I made at a site or two over the years!

We might effect that by the menu and the links.. The rest would be user searches.

It's hard to get good free labor LOL!

C

CT Guy

Random question, but how would you know when new info./posts were made if the sticky is under a subheading? Will the whole heading go bold?

Are you going to lock the stickies? I think it would be good to keep them locked, and just updated by moderators (you could add entire posts if they contribute), and then everything else could go into a new thread discussion on the main board.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the threads up in the sticky's will get bumped up in the regular threads when posted in. so in actuality the good threads will be seen more rather than getting lost when random new threads are created.

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
I'm still learning here, I think the cleanup has helped newbies like me. I hadn't attempted to tackle half the stickies, there were a daunting amount, so I stuck to the couple I had already read. Does mean you've added a heap of "new" posts to those threads though, so I gotta go back and re-read them again!

J

JackTheGrower

I'm still learning here, I think the cleanup has helped newbies like me. I hadn't attempted to tackle half the stickies, there were a daunting amount, so I stuck to the couple I had already read. Does mean you've added a heap of "new" posts to those threads though, so I gotta go back and re-read them again!

Any help I can be you got it Bro!

I admit I was thinking of making sandwiches and read them through from start to finish myself..