What's new

Cleaning out 55 Gal. drum.

Tyga

Veteran
So I picked up a 55 gal. plastic drum off craigslist today for a measly 25$ I was pretty pumped. My local hydro shop charges 115$ haha and no way that was happening.
The 55 Gal. drum previously held Red Wine and there is still a little left in the bottom and smells pretty strong. Just curious what I should use to clean this baby out so if some trace elements get left behind after cleaning it out my plants won't fry instantly. Just curious of some
"plant-friendly" cleaning products.. Thanks! :tiphat:

MJBadger

Veteran
I can`t see red wine trace doing any real harm but rather than any chemicals even bleach i would use warm water with Bi carb & a scrub brush . I used this on a container that had vinegar & it sorted it fine .

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Cleaning? I use lots!! In my Rez I drop 30 ml in approx. 40 us gal.
In my ez-cloner 10-12 drops everyother day. Good luck

If at all possible I recommend a drain in the bottom of your Rez.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Cleaning? I use lots!! In my Rez I drop 30 ml in approx. 40 us gal.
In my ez-cloner 10-12 drops everyother day. Good luck

If at all possible I recommend a drain in the bottom of your Rez.

Just curious, why the drain? I use two 55 food grade, had vinegar in them when I bought them(not full). I hosed em out with plain water and into use they went, no problems.

I cut the tops off with a recip saw and made a lid to cover to prevent algae. if I need to clean them they get in the bathtub and get sprayed out. I have a sump pump that will empty them to about 1/2 inch of water.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you don't need bleach..

I've ran ez-cloners just fine with hydrogen peroxide, or like seventh generation cleaner.. chlorine in tap water also is for killing microbes.

Ground Up

Yup use a hose, i also use a res/filler bulb duehickey (sp) so i never overflow my barrel.. Overflow valve ya thats it!! i have it hooked up to my filter system. i bleach my barrels when done, use a broom/brush to wash it out, then let dry for a few days .. yes i have a few barrels.... also check out your local feed stores , if they still exist... farmers use them as water barrels ..........good luck

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Just curious, why the drain? I use two 55 food grade, had vinegar in them when I bought them(not full). I hosed em out with plain water and into use they went, no problems.

I cut the tops off with a recip saw and made a lid to cover to prevent algae. if I need to clean them they get in the bathtub and get sprayed out. I have a sump pump that will empty them to about 1/2 inch of water.

Drains make cleaning easier.Easier equals more often. Pumps never get it all. Then u have to pick up the barrel and tip out the rest. As I age I like work less and less.
I hook up a hose to my drain.drain, scrub,rinse,fill. Easy Peasy