What's new

cleaning glass?

fr33th3w33d

my bong has accumulated some sort of strange film on its inside. not resin but some semi clear water spots or something.. anyone know how to get my glass sparkling clean again?

J

Jam Master Jaco

I know the water spots you're talking about. After I clean with either some sort of 420 cleaner or the cheaper rubbing alcohol and salt the water spots go away. Rubbing alcohol leaves no streaks, so after you clean your piece and rinse it out with water try to wipe down the inside with an alcohol soaked cloth and the streaks will go away. :wave:

G

get 91% strength alchohol from your local pharmacy- then just a carton of epsom salts. Let it soag completely submerged for 12 or 24hrs if really bad. Then add epsoms cuz its granulated into large abrasive chunks- keep shakin and repeat until clean. Bubbler stems can be tricky to clean, so u must take care.

If You have wellwater, or hardwater, Isopropyl alcohol, and salt will clean Your piece, but rinsing it with hardwater just keeps the lime/whatever build-up there.

After using alc/salt,Try Cascade complete, and rinse with bottled water, and dry.

Martha S.

J

Jam Master Jaco

rootsDaughtahh said:
rubbing alcohal and rice! salt scratches your glass and you dont see it till resin fills the cracks =\

dude above me is biting his tongue so i'll chime in. Salt is not as dense as glass, therefore it is physically impossible for it to scratch glass. Rice does work too though, just not as thoroughly as salt.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
hahaha, when i clicked on this thread i expected "Chewing on glass".. i theought wtf

but yes, now that i am aware, i personally like to use the 99 percent iso. 70 just doesnt seem to work as good. as mentioned above too, i like to use a combo of rice and salt. nothin better

goldfronts

i use citrasolve and soak my glass in mixture of water and citrasolve and it dissolves the resin.

Nice and easy with no harmful chemicals

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I just squeez in some dish soap and some hot water and shake lol. Gets rid of the nasty black stuff and ash but leaves most of the amber resin, which I like to look through into a strong light lol.

G

i personally use 99.9 iso dumped onto a mirror, heated up and scraped up to re smoke then i use EFFERDENT( thats right, denture cleaner) to actually clean it with, it is very cheap and a local head shop gives them away when u buy a pipe!! they work great.

James Morrison

~*MR.MOJORISIN*~
AlaskanGro said:
i personally use 99.9 iso dumped onto a mirror, heated up and scraped up to re smoke then i use EFFERDENT( thats right, denture cleaner) to actually clean it with, it is very cheap and a local head shop gives them away when u buy a pipe!! they work great.

YEPP!!!!

Thats right! I have found the best thing to use is Denture cleaner like EFFERDENT

:joint:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I've been known to put dirty spoons/ bowls(LOL!) in the dishasher for a few cycles, whats left is easily swabbed out.

The Alcohol thing works pretty good, but I don't use the Salt, I just swab the resin out mechanicly.

Remember: Pipe cleaners aren't just for stupid school art projects.

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
As a fairly seasoned stoner..my pipes got used till they were so clogged I would just buy another one.. until I was old enough I began smoking doobs 24/7... well that's great. but now that I'm old and a cheapskate, i kinda was looking for the holy grail of cleaning methods... both of my surviving glass pipes are heavily smoked through and house gargantous amounts of sticky tar in them... i started with iso. Did that for about 5 min.... and said fuck that... it was working but man I'd have to leave it a week.. so I heated up the stove and let it boil for a good 1/2 hour. If u keep the bowl side down, air bubbles will pulsate through pipe and clean it... so after that. I had a 65% clean pipe.. most the side resin was gone. But thatvheavy tar shit right by the choke and under around the bowl were still contaminated big time.. like heavy tar balls......so out to the shop.. where I have both acetone and rocksalt. The hardest thing about using acetone is it eats through everything.. including the tape used to seal mixture of rock salt and acetone inside the pipe.. best thing is electrical tape wrapped tight. I'm now into this for about 1.5 hours. Filled the pipe about a 1/4 full of acetone and a teaspoon of salt. Sealed with tape at both end began to shake for about 10 min... checked it.... brand new. completed it all by boiling again to rid the chamber of acetone and salt.. it looks new, no ash,resin,buildup

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I use OxyClean and boiling hot water....removes the odor as well.

minds_I

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Here is a shot of my pipe. I really should have taken a before shot to show how bad it was...but. in any case.. worst case scenario it was totally unusable. 2 h using acetone and boiling. Acetone works way better then iso.. is cheap and readily available anywhere.. acetone also leaves next to no residue.. however boiling will also disinfect the entire pipe.now I will from now on, be rinsing it out on a more frequent basis with it. Should only take a few mins vs 2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_00000902.jpg
    IMG_00000902.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Latest posts