What's new

Cichlid tanks anyone ????

demasoni

It's just like pot growers and shows like American Weed, nobody's happy with how the shows are produced because they don't like the spin. Yet, it's the spin that sells the show to those who aren't familiar.
Exactly, its a cheezewhiz sandwich. They can't let it actually have much to do with the hobby or else it won't generate "enough" viewers. Like any production we need that shit low quality & dumbed down to get a good audience! Cheezewhiz for everyone!
fuck TV networks.
RIP natgeo, hist chnnl... note how anything reasonably intelligent or educational no longer airs. Target audience = jersey shore clones. A show actually about fish keeping? hahahahaha good luck...

Nice 125 prop215, you should fill that space for sure. I got some free yellow lab x demasonis for you lol, they just won't stop reproducing, nothing to do but cull them. if I could even choose who.

Any other tanks? marine, planted, all welcome. Love to see some catfish and plecos

demasoni

It's just like pot growers and shows like American Weed, nobody's happy with how the shows are produced because they don't like the spin. Yet, it's the spin that sells the show to those who aren't familiar.
Exactly, its a cheezewhiz sandwich. They can't let it actually have much to do with the hobby or else it won't generate "enough" viewers. Like any production we need that shit low quality & dumbed down to get a good audience! Cheezewhiz for everyone!
fuck TV networks.
RIP natgeo, hist chnnl... note how anything reasonably intelligent or educational no longer airs. Target audience = jersey shore clones. A show actually about fish keeping? good luck with the network execs...

Nice Yes4prop215
. you should fill that space for sure. I got some free yellow lab x demasonis for you lol, they just won't stop reproducing. nothing to do but cull them, if I could even choose who.

more tanks! marine, planted, all welcome. Love to see some catfish and plecos

demasoni

fuck TV networks.
RIP natgeo, hist chnnl... note how anything reasonably intelligent or educational no longer airs. Target audience = jersey shore clones. A show actually about fish keeping? good luck with the network execs...

Nice Yes4prop215. you should fill that space for sure. I got some free yellow lab x demasonis for you lol, they just won't stop reproducing. nothing to do but cull them, if I could even choose who.

more tanks! marine, planted, all welcome. Love to see some catfish and plecos

thaicat

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I also keep Piranha but am lazy in regards to posting pictures...

GetUpStandUp

Man I miss my tanks, at one time I had 26 tanks no smaller than 20 gal up to 90 gal all over my house. The little africans get so violent I had to pick a dead fish out of a given tank each morning. They are so interesting to watch and bake on.

thaicat

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Notice the last picture has two species of Piranha...Pygocentrus and Serrasalmus . It's said that they will never co-exist without tragedy but mine have been together for well over 5 years. Nobody should attempt this with random members of the Serrasalmus species...Mine is S. Sanchezi which is a little more workable than the others.

S

SeaMaiden

I do notice that, and I also notice that the system you're keeping them has to be what... at least 250gals? I'm thinking maybe more along the lines of 500, which would be much more appropriate for Piranha. I'm sure you keep them well fed, they look it. Bigger problem in keeping piranha as I understand it is that they're actually very delicate as far as tetras go.

For the uninitiated, yes, piranha are basically gigantic, hungry, toothsome tetras.

Thaicat, I'm assuming that due to your location acquisition of piranha spp isn't so difficult, yes?

thaicat

The pictures show two different tanks at two different times. Initially, I kept 5, dime sized fish in a 75 gallon to get them to size. Once they reached about 3-4'' I moved them to a 265 gallon and added the Sanchezi. Two of them paired off so I moved the pair into a 125 and left the others in the 265.

These are Pygocentrus nattereri and they reach an adult size of about 12-13''. The rule of thumb with Natts is 25 gallons per fish (which I think is pushing it.) If they were Pygocentrus Piraya, they could reach about 2' long and would require at least 60 gallons per fish. I've always kept my water at optimal conditions with overkill filtration but have never seen any delicate traits at all with them, in fact, I'd consider them extremely hardy. I adopted one that had basically his whole stomach ate out. He healed very fast and has never had a problem...I named him No-Belly.

All species of Piranha are legal and sold at most shops in my state.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry no freshwater over here :) This tank was about 4k$ to get like this. There is a 40g Refuge under this 100g tank. Full auto control for the ca reactor,PH,Salinity and lights. This tank has 2 250w 10k with 200w of PLL.....

I'm currently upgrading to a custom 90g cube tank. This is long term project wont be ready to swap our for a long time still..

picture.php

GetUpStandUp

fuck TV networks.
RIP natgeo, hist chnnl... note how anything reasonably intelligent or educational no longer airs. Target audience = jersey shore clones. A show actually about fish keeping? hahahahaha good luck...

Nice 125 prop215, you should fill that space for sure. I got some free yellow lab x demasonis for you lol, they just won't stop reproducing, nothing to do but cull them. if I could even choose who.

Any other tanks? marine, planted, all welcome. Love to see some catfish and plecos
Tell me bout TV frickin got to be so numb to watch the stuff thats in, even good ol Roast on comedy central is frickin weak now, all the occultic shit they say, and the whole Patrice Oneal thing, and Greg Geraldo deaths were indeed weird, when those guys let lose on old celebs who may not been able to handle the remarks, but either way Jeff ross is barely hanging in there! With all the freaks of nature running around on TV and movies these days one would think they roast bullets would be plentiful, but no!

GetUpStandUp

Sorry no freshwater over here :) This tank was about 4k$ to get like this. There is a 40g Refuge under this 100g tank. Full auto control for the ca reactor,PH,Salinity and lights. This tank has 2 250w 10k with 200w of PLL.....

I'm currently upgrading to a custom 90g cube tank. This is long term project wont be ready to swap our for a long time still..

View Image
Hella nice set up!

alright a post I like. Aquariums are super cool. Those are some nice pirhana's. I have had some in the past and they are not what people think. Very Very Timid scared fish. I had about 8 of them at one time. I was even able to get them to breed for me. None of the babies ever made it passed the size of an inch, they would always get eatin.

I have moved on to Flowerhorns. Check them out they are pretty cool. They are a hybrid fish with some of them going for $10,000 if they have a huge head and nice markings. If you get one with a notable chinese symbol on it, CHA CHING! super money.

thaicat

alright a post I like. Aquariums are super cool. Those are some nice pirhana's. I have had some in the past and they are not what people think. Very Very Timid scared fish. I had about 8 of them at one time. I was even able to get them to breed for me. None of the babies ever made it passed the size of an inch, they would always get eatin.

I have moved on to Flowerhorns. Check them out they are pretty cool. They are a hybrid fish with some of them going for $10,000 if they have a huge head and nice markings. If you get one with a notable chinese symbol on it, CHA CHING! super money.

Absolutely!
I was going to mention that Piranha (Or at least most Pygocentrus species.) are extremely timid and very rarely aggressive. They are nothing like the movies have portrayed them. Most people think if you were to stick your hand in a tank of Piranhas, you'd lose it...Nothing could be further from the truth.

Now some of the Serrasalmus species are another story. I had an Elongatus that was absolutely ruthless. He'd sit watching me and would attack the glass. He also took a few chunks of flesh when I cleaned the tank.

Once they breed, I remove the spawn and grow them out in another tank until they're of size. I usually get about 100 per spawn and most survive.

Flowerhorns are cool and a few other hybrids are interesting. As far as Cichlids, Frontosas are probably my favorite. I just have the breeding pair of Piranha and a tank of Clown Loaches currently. I tend to go way overboard when setting up tanks so try to refrain from any new ones.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
I had a black piranha that would open a can.. he was unbelievable.. ANYTHING that went into his tank was getting attacked.. no questions asked..

mgk :yoinks:

thaicat

That's how the Elongatus was. I had tanks on both sides and he'd try to get to the other fish. The tank I had the Sanchezi in, he ruled the tank starting from when he was about 4''. The Pygos were at least twice his length and much larger mass-wise.

GOT DANK

Veteran

yes Flowerhorns are da shit. thats all i see at da fish store. i just got a lil one myself.

bs0

I used to have a 100g tank of demasoni... I'd snatch out holding females and put them in a secondary tank to sequester the fry... Made good money with that tank, for a long time.

Latest posts

Latest posts