What's new

Chronic lower back pain, need strains that keep me FUNCTIONAL.

slappyjack

Agree with everyone who has suggested exercise and stretching. I'm almost 40 and every pain issue I've had has been solved with exercise, stretching and cannabis.

I'm currently working on tendinitis in my right shoulder, it has taken months of isometric exercise, but it's finally getting better. No steroids, no pain killers, no doctor, nothing. Just research on the Net and Double Strawberry Diesel #4.

grapeman

Veteran
Broke 2 bones in my back playing football many years ago. 18 months ago, I was T-Boned in an intersection and am now feeling lower back pain all the time.

I take Soma (muscle relaxent) when it gets too bad to sleep bad.

Occasionally, I'll take hit from a pipe (I have a prescription for medical mj) and i find all strains work the same for me. I get sleepy and fall asleep.

But the soma works better for me.

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
I would try a strain called green crack ... I have found that it is a very functional stain .... Tastes great and is a great pain realiver ,.... Just my two cents .... I wish u better days and green buds peace
JTR

rezinrebel

Hi JD , i suffer some back pain from a 40ft fall out of a tree a few years ago (soft landing on wet soil/grass thankfully) but it only flares up if a have a lot of low brickwork & i find indi_sat x`s usually work .
This one may make you laugh though , a few years ago i had a condition called Eppydiddymitus (spelling?) point is it only affects males coz it hits the ball bag . I had a right nut the size of a lemon & i only had to breath or move slightly & it brought tears to my eyes . 2mth of antibiotics done nothing & neither did the painkillers , i can`t remember what they were but i do know next one up was on the dangerous/controlled list , i did`nt feel like a J at all until one evening i had some Cronic that i had grown & 20mins later got up to make a cuppa tea & it was only then i realised the pain had gone . Now i don`t know whether it was the combination of smoke & painkiller but it was the first time in 2mth that i had no tears in my eyes .
Now i know Chronic is not recognised as a MMJ but it may be worth a try , check soma as well as he`s very keen on medicinal MMJ .

Stay safe . BGB

jd4083

Veteran
JD, I too suffer from chronic back pain. I think you'll find some very valuable info here in this thread, http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98433

I would consider using a sativa/indica, judging from yer needs. Also, tha wife an' I got a new, memory foam bed. Spending 6-8 hrs is a considerable amount of time used for sleeping and we both have seen vast improvements in our back health. Somethang to think about.....

Stay healthy,
Steele

thanks for the link, lots of great info there :tiphat: I know I definitely need a hybrid, just having a hard time finding one that actually seems to work out of the hundreds I've tried...getting a little discouraged at this point frankly :comfort:

Agree with everyone who has suggested exercise and stretching. I'm almost 40 and every pain issue I've had has been solved with exercise, stretching and cannabis.

I'm currently working on tendinitis in my right shoulder, it has taken months of isometric exercise, but it's finally getting better. No steroids, no pain killers, no doctor, nothing. Just research on the Net and Double Strawberry Diesel #4.

Definitely a major part of what I need to be doing for my "recovery" and I've procrastinated on it long enough, you're absolutely right...thanks for posting dude...

Broke 2 bones in my back playing football many years ago. 18 months ago, I was T-Boned in an intersection and am now feeling lower back pain all the time.

I take Soma (muscle relaxent) when it gets too bad to sleep bad.

Occasionally, I'll take hit from a pipe (I have a prescription for medical mj) and i find all strains work the same for me. I get sleepy and fall asleep.

But the soma works better for me.

I have fought tooth and nail with addiction to hard drugs and prescription meds for many years and only in the last 2-3 have actually come to peace with myself and managed to rewire my brain without AA/NA or the other excuses for treatment that the system provides. Thank you for the suggestion, but at this time I am not looking for anything prescription drug wise with even a minute potential for abuse.

I would try a strain called green crack ... I have found that it is a very functional stain .... Tastes great and is a great pain realiver ,.... Just my two cents .... I wish u better days and green buds peace
JTR

Lots of Cush/GC out here in these mountains, I do really enjoy the mellow, mild buzz and flavor but in terms of pain relief, nada from the many cuts I've tried out here unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion...couldn't rep you apparently gave too many people the "thumbs up" today, will get ya tomorrow my man

Hi JD , i suffer some back pain from a 40ft fall out of a tree a few years ago (soft landing on wet soil/grass thankfully) but it only flares up if a have a lot of low brickwork & i find indi_sat x`s usually work .
This one may make you laugh though , a few years ago i had a condition called Eppydiddymitus (spelling?) point is it only affects males coz it hits the ball bag . I had a right nut the size of a lemon & i only had to breath or move slightly & it brought tears to my eyes . 2mth of antibiotics done nothing & neither did the painkillers , i can`t remember what they were but i do know next one up was on the dangerous/controlled list , i did`nt feel like a J at all until one evening i had some Cronic that i had grown & 20mins later got up to make a cuppa tea & it was only then i realised the pain had gone . Now i don`t know whether it was the combination of smoke & painkiller but it was the first time in 2mth that i had no tears in my eyes .
Now i know Chronic is not recognised as a MMJ but it may be worth a try , check soma as well as he`s very keen on medicinal MMJ .

Stay safe . BGB

It's been some time since I tried SS chronic, we had it in a small comm. garden at the same time that we were running dj's blue moon, at that time I was not having the issues I have now with my back but I do remember that it was a really big producer with great bag appeal but my major complaint was the "flat," sorta dull buzz. That actually may be just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion brotha.

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
i tooo have lower back pain screwed the back up in my early 20's and im 50 and getting very tired of haveing back pain ,and i work in a moving co dont move much furniture anymore but i do carry 25-65# boxes up stairs ALL DAY 5days a week in the archive.i find the knock yer dic in the dirt indicas the best but i also wanna stay awake .the sensi star was great for it but i dont have any rite at the moment ,but i do a a cut ready to be a mom lol

I was rear-ended by an elderly woman who fell asleep behind the wheel at 40+mph almost tens years ago. I have been prescribed Oxycontin for over 9 years now, and was also prescribed muscle relaxers like Soma and Skelaxin. I quit the muscle relaxers years ago and have reduced my use of prescribed Oxycontin by 80% thanks to the power of Cannabis edibles. I have always smoked buds but it wasnt until '06 that I realized how much more effective it is to eat the Cannabis. Vaporizing in my Volcano may be more effective for pain than smoking, but its nothing like eating my brownies. I found it is best for me to always have some brownies in the freezer because when my pain is at it worst I don't want to be messing around in the kitchen. Smoking homemade dry sift hashish made from my homegrown buds and trim is also far more effective than smoking buds. So grow some buds, make hashish from the trim and half the buds, then use leftover material to make cannabis butter or oils. Stay away from the pharmaceutical poisons if possible.

This isn't a strain but I hope it's helpful.

I have severe pain issues as well, I've taken a lot of different pain medicines and am currently taking methadone due to lack of cannabis medicine. Smoking cannabis does nothing for my pain, BUT copious amounts of cannabis edibles totally relieves my pain.

But, I had to build tolerance over a week by eating a lot, and doing nothing because I am so medicated :canabis: Using a typical $3-$5 cookie (or other) found at dispensary, I would recommend starting at 1 to 1 1/2 cookies every 6 hours and just increase it over a week to 6-15 cookies a day (whatever works for you). Doing this totally alleviates ALL of my chronic back pain from a car accident also, with similar injuries.

I also recommend edibles that are made with mostly leaf/trim over bud, and I don't recommend using concentrates. Also hemp oil with helps with my overall health, I use alot and noticed changes in my overall health and mentality.

Again I know it's kind of off topic, but I hope you find my personal experiences helpful in some way. There not based off any book, just what I found works for me.

Peace,
WeedSavesLives

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I Herniated the L5 disc in 1985 while in the army. I now have degenerative disc diease and degenerative arthiritis of the spine. Tramadol works to a point and yes they are addictive, I ran out once and it sucked. I haven't found any strain that really stops the pain, but a godd strong indica will put you to sleep. Living with cronic pain sucks, but as time goes by the sever episodes of pain tend to be further apart, cause you've learned how to move and what you can and can't do. Now 25 years later I'm rated at 100% disabled by the VA.

jahnc848

Hey folks. Been self-medicating with cannabis for many years, but only recently for physical pain. I've searched around and the general consensus appears to be that knockout indicas are the best "painkilling" strains. This is a problem for me - I really don't like the effects of indicas (instant couchlock + sleepiness for me) and simply cannot smoke heavy indies in the day or I lose all focus and my productivity crashes.

For this reason I have stuck with sat's, but lately the lower back pain that has been around off and on for a few years since an atv accident has been ON all the time, and with much higher intensity than ever before. I'm in my early 20's and I feel like a fucking old man, guys, this is killing me.

I realize that I may need professional help from a chiropractor but in the mean time, I need some advice on some strains that can at least dull the pain to a manageable level WITHOUT rendering me useless and burned out for the rest of the day.

Another issue I have is this - I have a pretty diverse selection of strains, and I've had a lot of killer knockout indie's from my humboldt buddies along with some local commercial indie crops. I have yet to find a strain that actually dulls the pain/relieves it in any way, for me pot just seems to take my mind away from it -- and that just ain't cutting it anymore... I've got a lot on my plate right now and the last thing I can deal with while trying to open a restaurant is walking with a hunched back and aching in pain all day long like I'm 30 years older than I am.

The last strain that I found to really take care of pain was DJ's Blue Moonshine, unfortunately, it also took care of my brain as well and had a way of turning me into a drooling idiot with a couple of hoots. I don't have the cut anymore anyways so I'm looking for something new.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

-m
hey whts up jd, i too have been a stoner for many years but just recently began using it hollistically. i had lower back surgery 10 years ago and have been around the block with the oxys. i've been opiate free for a year. cannabis was a perfect fit for me because 1. temperance is impossible with painkillers 2. its cheaper 3. its effective. believe me dude, i know back pain, and when its at full throttle its brutal, cannabis provides tons of relief.
i'm not sure where you live but if you have access to edibles, give it a shot, although i wouldnt make plans. fruit juices work even better. indica butter causes an amazing body consuming relaxed feeling. for me i only really medicate at night so pure dense indica of any variety will do. sativas makes my headspin sometimes, thats def better for daily use.

C

Chamba

Practice Yoga daily

Drugs only mask or dull the pain for a short while and do nothing to rectify the underlying causes of lower back pain, sciatica etc. ..the drugs wear off and the pain returns

spine surgery often is ineffective, dangerous and in most cases patients show no improvement and then have more surgery!, chiropractors are bone crackers that have copied a few yoga techniques (but left out the breathing and strengthening side of it)

the only way I found to improve a worn out or damaged spine is with a daily yoga practice. It works but it's not as easy as popping a few pills.

Practice yoga and you will strengthen the mid section muscles that help support your spine, lengthen and straighten your spine with correct posture, keep your hamstrings supple (healthy hamstrings = a healthy lower back), improve your breathing, chill you out etc etc and the effects/benefits are immediate.

Take control of your body yourself and keep it healthy, supple and strong....don't rely on dangerous drugs that only blur you for a few hours, the drugs wear off and the problem comes back, so what's the point?.

Make the effort, go to a local yoga class, surf over to yoga.org.nz or check out other sites online for a free yoga beginners instruction video and begin to be pain free, happier, smarter, taller, straighter, stress-free and healthier from the inside out.

C

Chamba

A few puffs of ganja before your yoga practice go so well together too.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
If you have access to buying or making concentrates (hash, oil, etc.) I would go with that. For lack of a better term, concentrates are like moonshine compared to beer. Helps with my lower back pain and damage from RA.

Take it for what its worth, but I have 2 herniated disks in my back, and occasional sciatica. The best strains I have found to kill pain are Lifesaver by BOG (i know you're not looking for indicas though), and Kalichakra by Mandala Seeds. Kalichakra is a sativa that finishes in around 60-70 days, decent yielder, pain killer, and still leaves you functional. Plus the seeds are only like $35! I would at least give it a try

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I agree with everyone here, and i tooi am in my young 20's. I suffer from chronic back pain, making some nights sleep unbearable and impossible. I'm to the point where i cant go out without having my back bother me and makes me feel lazy. I'm currently addicted to opiates due to me just masking the pain in my back and refuse to up my dosage. While i was in Amsterdam i ran out of codeine and edibles allowed me walk around through the days and sleep well at night. Edibles work well just need a steady supply of them to work well. I find smoking doesnt help nearly as much unless its a strong hit and dose in total,and kushes or landraces with high CBD should be good if theres inflammation involved. I found thats what really helps me is a landrace or heavy indica, some sativas really intensify the pain though. Hash is better than bud and edibles are better than the rest. I currently utilize the first pass digestion for my opiates and it works just as well with cannabis. Does anyone know what a recommened dose for killing pain would be in edible form for bud? I ate .5 yesterday and didnt really help will the pain, i know you need to keep eating more but i had nothing left.

C

Chamba

some sativas really intensify the pain though.

same with me.......I too found most hazes and other landrace sativas actually intensified the pain rather than offered relief ...then I got off my ass, took control of my own body, practiced yoga daily and haven't had a sleepless night's sleep due to sciatica or back pain since.

Pain is nature's way of saying there's something wrong with your body. Taking painkillers will only help for a few hours but does nothing to help the cause of the pain, after your tolerance builds up, the painkillers become less effective, then you become addicted to them and the pain is still there...so what's the point?

large ice packs placed on the back pain areas will offer effective short term relief...heat pads also help....long hot baths are good too, as is maintaining correct posture and daily exercise. An 30 ~ 60 minutes of walking and an hour of yoga per day will change your life for the better.

here's a quote from the free beginners yoga video at yoga.org.nz

"if you find this pose challenging, persist with it knowing your mind has control over your body"

Bubbleman suggested I check out this yoga site 6 or 7 seven years ago and I've been grateful ever since....yoga is not for everyone, but if you spend most of the day sitting on your ass punching a keyboard and suffer from chronic lower back pain, sciatica, carpel tunnel etc then you will feel the benefits of practicing yoga.

Last edited:

215 User

Great info. for those in need!
Forgot to mention that I purchased a inversion table last year and it make a difference.
BIG 5 has the best price ($99.00) and a great investment.

Daiwa13

Most kush will work great (OG, Bubba,Master,Pure,Purple Kush) and most purple strains (graddaddy purple, qurkle, purple kush). Diesel seems to keep your mind off any pain... works a little different... any sour, headband,nycd seems to work on the head side. Diesel for day/morning & kush for later day & nights is my rec.

im in the same boat as you. I have real bad lower back pain. Indicas or Hybrids seem to be the ticket. I need something really potent and strong for this pain because even muscle relaxers and pain killers don't do much.

Latest posts

Latest posts