What's new

choosing the best pet for your companion

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i have had lots of dogs and cats over the years
ive had good and bad ones ive let go of
choosing your critter is a bit of a mystery for most people
ive encountered more bad family fits than good in that time until i learned what i wnanted

id like to share some tips in how to pick your pets to fit your family better and Im soliciting others input too

for my family, its really easy to pick the right pet

*know what you want*

i dont mean a black toy poodle or a cute tabby

what i mean is do you want a a mellow laid back loverboy or a spastic spite pisser?

i gives 0 fucks about the breed, but for those that do this applies even morso

i want the mellow loverboy over the critter thats not down with the rules of the house

for cats, i prefer a medium haired boy, fixed
i like the fluff and the medium hairs kinda fit in the top of the love me spectrum, and they make good couchmates, all warm and cuddly

shorts tend to be a bit less tolerant of nubbins and the longs are even more arrogant. it all comes down to the tummy test for us

does the cat truly enjoy a tummy rub? shorts will (usually) not tolerate it and longs may feign pleasure for a moment before locking down on the wrist or hands in protest.

im not saying this is fact, just my observations.

iow, know what you want

for dogs , i want a loyal and trustworthy boy
i want them to be genuine and loving and able to take their lumps when its coming

we prefer males , but girls are the same deal

know what you want

its not hard

puppies and kittens all display their personalities from 3 -4 weeks on

so trust that the standoffish persian you got as a 6 week old kitten will be the same cat at 13 and the spastic jack russell will be the same puppy you got 15 years ago

know what you want

some breeds are indeed stereotypcal , in general
you have to know what to expect when getting that bloodhound or pitbull or maine coon

my point is that a kitten or puppy will display its personality on first contact

pitbulls, poodles, pickinese and persians all have certain personality traits specific to its breed, its not a hard and fast rule but the stereotypes are for a reason

know what you want in a pet, and focus on that box of puppies in front of you at the farmers market.

dump that box of dogs over and observe who does what . the wanderers, the stupid/slow, the one who curls around your ankle,
know what you want and take as much time as needed to watch what they do with you, cause they will be doing that same thing the rest of their lives

Betterhaff

Veteran
My cat found me and I took her in because she acted like a dog, still does. I can get her to bark, she fetches, snuggles and loves back rubs.

amanda88

I've now got a standard 'London Moggy' and got rid of that high bred Persian fuck that drove me and the entire neighborhood nuts.

Having Brother screw Sister to get pedigree cats/dogs/horses/humans even weed? is crap and should banned,
just take a look at the current Dog breeds, not one high breed exists without penalties,
later for dog and owner, and the repair bill will shock you too

rant over thx ..A88

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
friendly when needed ,guard dog when needed,lap dog even when not needed..mofo would crawl into my lap...I miss him...yeehaw..pound puppy ..was told shepard /ridgeback mix but I think was a dane mix and shepard possibly..either way awesome dog it was an honor to be his friend..i took him everywhere I went and he behaved well..his companion was a mini pinch as shown...she would lay right on him

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
replacement..all guard dog ..friendly to me hates everything /everyone else..yeehaw..all german shepard..cant take her anywhere...but she doesn't miss a thing awesome for security

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you couldn't pay me enough to adopt an adult dog into my home ever again, Scooby Doo my pitbull taught me a few lessons in that regard. I would however adopt a puppy from the pound.

my little sweetheart Suzi, pictured below was adopted by me from her original owner, I now have a favorite breed, dachshunds rule, Suzi is a miniature and an absolute angel, snuggler, she loves to go undercover in her blankets....... :)

e9466eb1-f5f0-411e-a4d6-3e0c10842251_zps5jyr5off.jpg

TheScrogFrog

I'd get a dog or a cat but I don't want to leave them home alone or a babysitter for days at a time when I am traveling.

Only reason.

I think owning a dog at least is much like having a child. I don't have the capability to properly care for it at this time. I'd love to get a german shepherd some day.

MicroRoy

My current companion. Is a cross. The mother was a Blue Healer.The father was a Rat Terrier.

My daughter brought a male from the litter by the house. I could lell he was smart and would make a good dog. So we called they had one left. A female. Ten weeks old and the people had two kids in the house eight and ten. The girl was well socialized when I got her.

I had to rein in the Terrier side. We have chickens. It was easy enough.I just kept her on leash while doing chores until she learned they were off limits. But she would still take out a rat and run off other varmits.

Now the Healer side. On leash off to the mailbox. The neighbor across the road has a whole section and has cows. She learned fast enough they cows were off limits.

Now for her job. My other neighbor has sheep goats and bad fences. They tend to get out every afternoon and graze down the road until the get my drive then come into my yard.

We would go on leash and drive them back a quarter mile where the went back through the fence. There she would be met by a pair of Great Pyrenees. The neighbors dogs. They would bark she would bark then it was back to the house. After just a few days she could be trusted on her owne. This went on for ten years. Until the neighbor sold his flock.

She is older now 13. She don't see or hear to well. I let her out to pee the other nite when I looked off the porch she was squatting between three cotton tails.

I am going to miss this old girl. We had a lot of fun.

MicroRoy

know what you want

I dont realy need a guard dog. I need an aleart dog. For when somone comes up the drive, the micro wave dings, or the alarm goes off. That kind of thing.

Then do agility drills and a little fetch for exercise.

She would have to do some independent rat control too.

My house is fifty yards from the mail box. Thinking about an agility course between my house and the mailbox. We could could get some exercise on the way down and back.

A Mini Dachshund or two should fit the bill. Hard nosed but trainable.

Latest posts

Latest posts