What's new

Choking your plants?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My old lady asked my why I was rubbing Charmin toilet tissue all over my buds...
I explained that she had been rubbing it on her ass for years, and look how big that SOB got!

(that shit'll git ya kilt if ya aint watchin the moon real close)

LilMan72003

Damn, I never thought I was gonna get people to start abusing their plants when I made this thread.

I CLAIM NO RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG (but I will if it works :rasta:) jk jk

Interesting point acidnI_livE, I never thought about that and it makes sense. Though the resin might not add to the high, I don't think there is a grower here who would say "I don't want any more resin on my buds", if ya know what Im sayin :joint:

-LilMan

acidnI_livE

thank you sometimes the obvious just needs to be pointed out. but thank you very much for the props. now consider this thought, which is a non verbatim quote frome the greg green grow bible (green candy press):

thc percentages and thc content are not the same the thc % is the measure of the actual cannabinoid THC to green matter on the buds. and content is the concentration of the actual thc in one mature galnd (buds and surrounding leaves have thousands of glands, as we all know)

now by these stress method above will make the plant atart to make more resin . but it is highly likely that the newly forming gland will never reach the point of actual thc production or if they do it would be in the very first stages of the gland head starting to balloon out and swell, and still wouldnt be to the point of creating actual thc yet or a significant amount to justify the means of stress.

now we might in crease the over all resin content from this ( differnt from thc percentages or thc content) stress technique, but it will also add these imature glands to the overall thc percentages and actually drop the potency of the bud, becaseu there are more of a number of glands but a good portion that are newly formed will be factored in overall and lower the percentage of thc.

just like in school lets say i have gotton an A on all your test's and have a 100% grade in that class. Now you get mononucleosis becasue the girls cant stay off of you cuz of your good grades ( oookaayyyy.lol) you get sick and miss three test's which gave you 0 points torards your grade in that class so now you have these test's that you never took (glands that didnt mature) and it is going to lower you grade in that class. ya dig

acidnI_livE

im harvestin on suday too hoosierdaddy!!! lets get in chat that night and have a harvest party!!! we can smoke qwiso from the trimm while we manicure.lol

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL...I was just thinking I need some Everclear!
Frosty trim will hit the solvent, the rest will be in ice.
I have not choked my plants...lol...although I just had some microwave deluxe that just about choked me!

Jacksparrow

Stoned Cold said:
I just stabbed several tacks into the base of my penis.....Keep your fingers crossed! :headbange

Make Prince Albert proud! lol

I'm glad to see people having open minds and seeing the merit in this idea.

Hopefully their will be some nice proof to look at soon

Have Fun

LilMan72003

Just wanted to see if any of the growers who said they were going to test this idea have any results they might be able to share

?

Stoned Cold said:
I just stabbed several tacks into the base of my penis.....Keep your fingers crossed! :headbange

Wow that was hilarious, I really cracked up when I read it. Haha... still making me laugh. Thanks Cold!

MrFista

Veteran
Interesting thread.

Experimentation, and documentation of experimentation, is important.

The problem with online Gurus who think they are old hands is....

The real old school growers I know, most don't even have computers.

Local old growers do some very interesting shit round these parts.

Splitting This is a technique where a healthy vegging girl is literally torn in two. A knife cuts directly through the main trunk and up to the top of the plant, the two halves are then torn apart down to within a few inches of ground level.

This is intended and said to greatly increases yield.

Stabbing A week before harvest a slit is cut in the base of the trunk (couple of inches off ground level) The cut is directly through the stem and 4-6 inches long up the stem.

This is intended and said to increase final bud weight and strength.

Now I don't really know, but this is families of growers, several generations, who swear by it.

Strangling The problem I see with this technique is you are completely cutting off the cambium layer. It would be better if you can twist the wire in such a manner that you cut into 3/4's of the bark only, allowing the plant to continue to water and feed itself, but now in a highly stressed state.

Breaking the hurd possibly is documented, and is another method of forcing stress on plants to hopefully increase desirable things, like yield, and potency.

I break hurds, as part of training plants, but never bothered to observe em that close, I'll start to.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The amount of resin on a plant does not necessarily determine how high you are going to get from it. THC forms a very small part of the resin. Some plants are very resinous and have a shitty high. Others, like some SE Asians varieties, show little resin but will blow your head off. Total cannabinoid and terpene levels and ratios are genetically determined, but environmentally affected. If you folks want to fuck with your plants and stress the hell out of them, be my guest.

I think that Suby and others are skeptical because we have had so many growers (or people pretending to be growers) come on here and give expert advice that would up killing the crops of nubies who were stupid enough to take their advice. Sproutco comes to mind as one of the worst offenders. He didn't even grow!

There is a good probability that all of us, no matter the experience, still have a lot to learn about growing this plant. Most of us, who have been around for a while, are hesitant to take any advice without seeing pics of the results, as many have been burned doing that before.

There are so many myths in this community that it is difficult to know who to believe.

I have no doubt that you can take a 10 week strain and harvest it in 5. They do it all the time in Canada. They are called "beasters" The M-39 comes to mind. It usually is taken at 6-7 weeks, not properly dried,trimmed or cured and is sold to suckers who don't know the difference or who have more money than brains. The same strain ,well-taken care of, and left to go 9-10 weeks is excellent.

M

Mr Stinkweed

LilMan72003 said:
So I spoke with my father today about his grows he used to do "back in the day".

He explained to me a process he used to take place in called choking his plants. During the last 7-10 days before harvest he would tie chicken wire around the stem, right underneath the cola and would have them tied VERY tightly.

Now my dad has a degree in botany. He says that when plants are threatened they secrete a natural hormone as a defense mechanism. In this case, his buds would become extremely drenched in resin. This might also be due in part that he grew 100% Humboldt Indica Bud. He says that he did this method with tons of strains and that it was always the best bud around.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this method?
Sounds like it would work to me.

-LilMan :headbange

I find the first post interesting.

If my dad were a botonist Im certain he wouldnt call this process choking a plant.

Im not particularly interested but its called girdling.

and there is quite a bit on the net about this process.

but without the name of this process its tough to find much.

Sleepiesthead said:
Wow that was hilarious, I really cracked up when I read it. Haha... still making me laugh. Thanks Cold!

Glad somebody thought it was funny! 28 Stitches later...Still pushin 3.25" :badday:

LilMan72003

First of all, heres a bit more of an indepth look into what has been talked about. http://boards.cannabis.com/advanced-techniques/73573-girdling.html

Sorry its on one of those other boards :violin:

MrFista: The different methods you have elaborated on are great. I think the common basis that can be derived from this discussion is that cannabis does NOT need to be babied. Stress can possibly produce better results.

Pops: The last thing I want to do is ruin anyone's grow, trust me. Like you said, much is still to be learned about cultivating cannabis. I understand that the lack of picture documentation makes it difficult to attempt and such, but the first person to grow pot didn't have pictures either :rasta: BTW Pops thank you for your input on this thread, I have great respect for your words.

MrStinkweed: Thank you for giving the this topic its proper name. I have talked with my dad extensively on this topic and I've heard him refer to both choking and girdling, but I was not aware that it is what the process is called. I think we could both due without the sarcasm though next time, thanks :wave:

Last edited:
M

Mr Stinkweed

IMO the sarcasm is well justified.

there were 8 pages of pretty clueless responses.

and not many indications that people can use google.

Not only would a botanist not call this choking a plant.

But they wouldnt refer to fim.

as fuck I missed.

Actually I was quite disappointed I had to make the post at all.

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Stoned Cold said:
So if stress causes auxins to rush to a 'wound', logically, it COULD put on weight. Smaller stresses caused by mites however would more logically impact levels of active compounds, possibly terpenoids?
Am I thinkin' in the right direction?

Damn it... Posted this to the wrong thread!

So.... If you could find a way to synthesize the spider mite saliva... Or some way to harvest saliva from a million spider mites......

You could inject it into plants to study the effects without losing the plants to spider mite infestation.....

COOOOOOL!.... Er.... kinda neat.

CDM

bighogg said:
i'm surprised as hell that this is even an argument or myth in the cannabis community. and apparently there are more than just one of your types of thinkers lurking these boards. so i will address all stress non-believers....respectfully, are you that unsophisticated? i'm not trying to be mean or anything but applying stress of varying types changes plant chemistry. it's a fact. what isn't common sense or knowledge are all the ways and types of stress that can be applied. and how they effect health, vigor, and potency of the cannabis plant.

i'm sorry that you either do not understand these complexities or that you are not experienced enough to know that properly applied stress simply helps plants finish.

Let me try another way to explain the mechanism. it's an annual plant and it's going to die...what does it need to do before it dies more than anything else in the world?

do you know the answer?

it's Procreate. the plant needs to reproduce and ensure its own survival. it needs to create seeds.

those resin glands are there to ensure that those seeds survive. they are there to protect the plant from being eaten by other insects. it's a protective mechanism that goes into overdrive when the plant feels threatened and that it's life may be at the end.

TO BOOT stress is always applied eventually because cannabis is an annual. it is GOING to die at the end of the "season"!! the process of dieing is "stressful"

creating stress properly will help your plant finish in the proper amount of time with full potency. i've used it for years, there are dozens of methods, specifically to get plants to finish. that's called...dialing it in. L8r dude.

:wave:

nice post!

hey guys i think it could b 2 things. late stress 3-2 weeks prior to harvest using longer lightcycles to help the plant mature faster. will work thats one of the first things the site taught me were imatating nature and in nature there is never 12/12 but there is a 18/6 and a 6/16.
and the other thing i was thinking about was did u guys c the thread on "Clone on- Mother" where you find the branch you want, score away the outerside of the branch leaving the inner stalk, allowing nutes from the roots to travel to thegrowing tip but not back down to the roots. apply rooting powder and wrap rockwol around the stem. cover with foil set for a week -2. rootd sevelop on the plant. snit the branch and plant.
i think the same principal applied in the origional post. the father just didnt tell the son the full reason behind it or in what fashon.
well thats my 2 cents.

C6H6

what kind of quantative analysis could be done to prove this? the problem i see with qualtative analysis is a placebo effect, because you think its going to be better it is better. not that thats a bad thing at all so long as you enjoy it. personally with my second grow under way id be intreasted to see if there is a difference but i dont know how to test. any thoughts?