What's new

«~Chocolate Recipes~»

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
i agree that it is the dispensary's responsibility to ask the customer if they have tried them before and explain the dosage. that is their job.
what people do with them when they leave the shop is their own responsibility.

those chocolates look great.
try finding chocolate bar moulds in a gourmet kitchenware type store or the kitchen section of a department store.
silicon moulds i think are good ones. is that what you have for yours or formed ice cube trays.
they are also on www.amazon.com. they have everything, probably even the digital thermometer.
i found some on amazon in the kitchen/bakeware section. search chocolate bar moulds.

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Was just looking at the edible winners from the cup in Colorado. Noticed that most chocolates are in the 100-200 mg range. So the chocolates I make are right on track with what's being sold at stores. I liked the looks of the Root beer that won. Except I hate root beer. Any other flavor sounds awesome.

ghostmade

Veteran
Cali gold got 250 mg of THC not bho. And has 15 squares. I had a really high tolerance of the time, when i ate 2 squares (33 mg). In 2 hours it had me curled up in the shower like a dirty whore praying for this major anxiety attack to go away.lmao
It must of been the fact it was blue dream ,which is a lil to racey for me if not harvested late (which it never is).
Now i have had some other stran for cali gold brand that literally had me asleep for 16 hours and i woke up still high and went back to bed after a one hour munchie sesh
Which consisted of me trade in the cupboards and fridge until the pizza and the Chinese man came through.lol

Donn

Digital thermometer sounds like a nice thing to have around. I guess it also may help that I'd be working with pretty small volumes, so I don't have to figure out how to cool off 8 lbs of melted chocolate in 3 seconds.

So I ended up with a "chocolate thermometer", just an ordinary glass alcohol thermometer but long and with a narrow range. And after reading up, I found that small batches are really much less manageable. But also, you can work it below 94°F without losing it, according to the American Chemical Society (!?), so I tried for that.

I wasn't completely successful, but it turned out not too bad. Compared to previous batches, where I used butter and heated it up too much and ended up with something kind of like frosting at room temperature. Seasoned with black cardamom and a local specialty called "Highwayman" (Willam's Wonder X Tang Tang.) I licked the bowl, and based on that am fairly confident in the theoretical estimated unit dose between 3 and 4 mg.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Every time I go a little daring on the edibles, I think of this and then pray "Don't let this be me don't let this be me don't let this be me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrZLc9lqQM0

Bonus: Caller was a cop who later admitted to making the brownies they ate via the herb he'd taken off of suspects. :laughing:

PLEASE WATCH THIS YOU TUBE VIDEO
Un-freaking-believable!

20 people were sent to hospital in Vancouver on 420 for edibles!

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
to temper chocolate effectively use the seeding method and a small immersion blender.

basically melt 75% until smooth, add the rest chopped up into pieces as small as a chic chip and blend until smooth.

if you get the temps right you will be tempered.

do this in a plastic bowl that you can microwave. set microwave to 50% strength.

reheat every so often for 10-15 sec and stir well to maintain a good working temp.

Seed Method:

MELT: Reserve 1/3 of the chocolate you plan to temper. The remainder is melted in a double boiler to no more than 120°F. Above 120°F, the chocolate separates, burns and can no longer be used. When cocoa butter crystals melt at this temperature, they lose their shape and the crystals become unstable, so Step#2 is necessary.
COOL: The chocolate is then cooled by "seeding" or mixing in discs or wafers of solid chocolate because they are at a cooler room temperature of 68 to 70°F. The molten cocoa butter also does a kind of follow-the-leader and arranges itself after the fashion of the "seeds", which are already tempered by the manufacturer. Don't add too much at a time as it may not all melt and the mixture will become lumpy. If it does, use an immersion blender which is invaluable, or strain the lumps out, which is trickier. Don't use a mixer. The key is to keep stirring rapidly and to take its temperature frequently until the proper one is reached. This gets the crystallization of the good beta crystals started, but it does allow some undesirable beta-primes to form, too, so go to Step #3.
REHEAT THE CHOCOLATE: in the double boiler so it will harden with a perfect consistency. Here reheating melts any of the undesirable crystals that are formed in cooling during Step #2. When it reaches the desired temperature, the chocolate is now tempered. If it is reheated to more than 89°F (milk) or 91°F (dark), it goes out of temper, and you have to start again from the beginning.
For advanced chocolate-makers, test the temperature by placing a dab just below the lower lip. It should feel just warmer than warm milk.
CHECK TEMPER BEFORE USING: A simple method of checking if the chocolate is in temper, is to apply a small quantity of chocolate to a piece of paper or to the point of a knife. If the chocolate has been correctly tempered it will harden evenly and show a good gloss within five minutes. Or, spread a thin layer on a scrap of parchment, wait five minutes, and then try to peel the chocolate from the paper. If you can, and it's not blotchy, you're in business. If not, start the tempering process again.
KEEP CHOCOLATE IN TEMPER DURING USE: Ideal temperatures are 88-90 °F for Dark; 86-88°F for Milk and 82-84°F for White. The chocolate will cool if not kept at a constant temperature, and gets thick and dull as is does. If chocolate cools too much and is still melted, you can reheat it multiple times back to "temperate zone" of 88 to 90°F (dark), 86 to 88°F (milk), 82-84°F (white). If the chocolate cools to the point of hardening, the tempering process must start again. Never let the chocolate's temperature exceed 92°F, for the dark chocolate or 88°F for the milk and white chocolate, or the stable cocoa butter crystals will start to melt and the temper will be lost.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
thanks chunkypigs,
you are obviously not only an award winning gardener!

i have pulled up a few chocolate tempering videos.

this first one is a non-thermometre method that looks pretty easy for a beginner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1SistTwAgo

these ones give the basic double boiler with thermometre method
http://video.about.com/candy/How-to-Temper-Chocolate.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_evlqvYZOM

the last link is more detailed with temperatures.
it also shows a cookie dipped into a bowl of the tempered chocolate.

this could be a good alternative to the extra strength, multi dose chocolates that doubleOG makes.
then they would be able to be sold as a single dose cookie.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
When I make chocolates I use the candy melts from walmart. I use a double boiler, and melt one bag(12 oz.) until creamy and smooth. Then I add BHO and the other 12 oz bag of chocolate melts.

I stir until it's all smooth and the BHO has been evenly distributed throughout the chocolate. No thermometer, just good old fashioned eyeballing. I always get nice smooth texture chocolates that hold shape and consistency for ever. They taste great too.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
in that first link she says to put a handful of small chocolate pieces aside for the end stage.

after melting over a double boiler, you remove the bowl.
you stir the chocolate mixture constantly until the chocolate has almost reached room tempurature again.
then slowly add one by one, a chunk of the reserve chocolate.
when the pieces no longer melt, your chocolate is tempered.
take out the last chunky, unmelted bits and eat them.
spread on waxed paper with a flexable palate knife.

*if it cools and hardens quickly with a smooth shine,
your chocolated is 'tempered'.

AKUlu

There is some really good info here, i have been playing with making hard candies latley and it has been a blast, too bad you can only test one per day without ending up on your ass. I will be looking into trying to make chocolates soon