What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHICKENS AND EGGS ( Trivia, Too Much Information ) :-)

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I just got some young chickens yesterday, they are either Australorp or Rhode Island, I am hoping they are all hens but if not the seller said to bring any roosters back and he will either swap them or refund me.

It took a couple of months to build the chook yard, anybody in Australia DON'T buy an Easyshed as they are anything but easy to put together, the website says a couple of hours to assemble, it took me and a handyman a day and a half with lots of swearing involved.
The bottom of the fence is set into concrete to prevent foxes from getting in.

IMG_2252.JPG

Here are the chickens, about 5 or so weeks old no longer needing heat.
IMG_2253.JPG

They seem to favour that area probably because of the shade and the mulch to scratch around in, I plan to plant a lemon tree for additional shade but it will take a few years to grow big enough for that.

The automatic solar powered chicken door that is set to open at sunrise and close at sunset, it can be run by timer but I am using the light sensor, bought on eBay for AU$136.
It will sense if a chicken is in the way and raise to let it through so it won't kill the chicken.

IMG_2254.JPG

The inside of the henhouse showing the nest boxes and perches.
IMG_2255.JPG

The water trough connected to the rainwater tank with float valve to keep it topped up.

IMG_2256.JPG

They have plenty of mulch to scratch around in for insects and get fed a chicken mix (no antibiotics or other medications) as well as kitchen scraps and shellgrit, so a varied diet.

It will be approximately 6 months before they start laying eggs and they should be large eggs.

Each year I will add 3 more and after about 3 years I will slaughter the oldest for meat.
I have some leg rings that are colour coded and numbered so I can tell which ones to slaughter.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
For the last 2 nights the chickens have not used the henhouse at sunset, they have huddled together next to the rainwater tank so I have had to pick them up and put them in the henhouse on the perches, there was no problem with them exiting in the morning when the chicken door opens at sunrise, they should get the idea soon, it is probable because when I picked them up from the seller they were in a cage 1mx1m in the middle of the yard with no perch or henhouse.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Well one of the chickens turned out to be a rooster so I took it back to the breeder and swapped it for a hen.

2 weeks ago one started laying eggs and a week ago another did too, just waiting on the newcomer to start laying, should happen in the next week or 2.

Had some bird proof netting installed over the top, keep getting sparrows in even though I have sealed up virtually everywhere I can find that they can get in, still have a couple of spots I need my local handyman to seal up, will do that next time he is around when I get him to install some 100mm mesh above the raised garden beds I will be installing soon.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
even with all the drama in the henhouse , like murder , rape , and greed , we love our buff Orpington’s

IMG_0404.jpeg

IMG_6783.jpeg

IMG_8476.jpeg

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've got a question about chickens and eggs. been getting some from a friend, and a few of his had the yolk etc mixed together in the shell . i've never seen this in store-bought eggs in my life...:shucks:

Latest posts

Latest posts