What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chicken shack rdwc madness.

Numboard

Alright guys, first off heres my old fail thread:
http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=2870819#post2870819

Now on with the new.

I had a budget of 1200 heres what I came up with
Heres the place:
image003.jpg

As you can see, this was a chicken shack at one point. It was full of crap literally.
image005.jpg

Standing in the door.
image007.jpg

I decided to go with a 5 gallon bucket "undercurrent" Rdwc.
Here is a old quick sketch of the plan.
image001.jpg

I decided to instead go for two 6 bucket systems in each room, accompanied by a res bucket.
Capture.jpg

Numboard

Pt 2.
The lights came.
Three 400watt econo hood,balast,bulb. They also shipped me some metal halide conversion bulbs for each. Good since two go in flower one in veg. :dance013:
image011.jpg

image013.jpg

Later that day hit up lowes and the hydro shop.
image014.jpg

The two bottles of the same size are ph 7.0 meter calibration solution and ppm calibration solution. The smaller bottle is rooting compound. It was after we had already bought all the tubing that we decided to abide by that "undercurrent" rdwc system voting to replace the skinny tubing in favor of 1 1/2 inch pvc with rubber grommets. Bullnose passthrough half inch fittings are super pricey 2~ bucks a piece. to expensive after revisiting the charts. I also decided to save money by buying quarter inch soaker tubing to use as airstones. Super cheap and easily replaceable. They work quite well.

Onto some room fabrication.
image016.jpg

image017.jpg

image019.jpg

image020.jpg

I plan on dividing the rooms with panda plastic. Still need to get that. Also going to use much more light above the mini clone hut two 4ft t8's More to come!

Also quick q, Will that airpump (eco plus 3 65 lieter/min) be enough for 14 buckets? Not including the res that doesn't have to have aeration, The extra two are for the two mommy buckets that are going to be isolated from each other and from the rdwc systems.

Numboard

So, A while ago I ordered samples of general hydroponics bio line.
After ordering them i read that they shouldn't be used int recirculating or dwc systems because of algae bloom. I promptly called them back to cancel my order but it was after hours so i left a message. couple days later they arrived. Wondering if any of you know which ones I might be able to use. I don't think all of them have algae.
(I hope that makes sense)

Numboard

Aight. So, The original plan was to use some rubber grommets to get a water tight seal between the pvc and the bucket. Lowes being lame as always charges 2 bucks per grommet. needing two per bucket adds up. We decided to use generic pvc fittings instead. This brought the price per bucket pass through to about 1~ dollar.
imagederp002.jpg

imagederp003.jpg

imagederp004.jpg

Hooray its water tight!
Yes I am hand cutting out each blasted gasket by hand. Ill be drilling some small holes in each end cap to act as a root screen.

Numboard

Seeds are in cubes now. Still no sprouts.
Quick question on water.
My ppm out of the tap (wellwater) is 92 ph is 6.66
Should I drop the hundred bucks on a r-o or save it?

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
your tap PPM is 92? thats great quality, assuming its not nasties that make up the 92 and just some calcium most likely.

if you bubble it overnight in a trash can, see if the PPM's drop even further, if so, I'd save the money from an R/O as you'd be in great shape.

Numboard

your tap PPM is 92? thats great quality, assuming its not nasties that make up the 92 and just some calcium most likely.

if you bubble it overnight in a trash can, see if the PPM's drop even further, if so, I'd save the money from an R/O as you'd be in great shape.
Actually, It seems as though my meter cant be calibrated with he General hydro ppm calibration solution. I have a hanna hi 98129 and you can only calibrate it with their proprietary solution. Thanks hanna.
Ill get that stuff and report back.

lolraymond

I've been trying to design and set up a room like this. Maybe I'll just copy some of your ideas! Hahah, that setup is lookin' so good. I'll be watching. Good luck! :D

Numboard

Well the sprouts are now seelings
ss2.jpg

This is what they're in
ss1.jpg

Started feeding them a very very diluted veg
bioweedbiomarinebioroot

still2big

Aight. So, The original plan was to use some rubber grommets to get a water tight seal between the pvc and the bucket. Lowes being lame as always charges 2 bucks per grommet. needing two per bucket adds up. We decided to use generic pvc fittings instead. This brought the price per bucket pass through to about 1~ dollar.
imagederp002.jpg

Doing something like this myself soon, what is that red stuff in the pic?

Latest posts

Latest posts