What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chicago Marijuana Ticketing Approved By City Council,Decriminalizes Low Level Offense

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
What will change peoples minds is how a law like this will effect how the patrol enforces. Grandma with a grandson or your boss with your raise on the table... it doesn't matter who you are being judged by, you are being judged for something that you invariably don't think is harmful to anybody else. What grandma needs to find out is that nice people get pulled over for having a tag thats expired, not for having a joint hanging out of their mouths. People need to see that joints and weed have no other connection to crime. Like wouldn't it be funny if Poptarts where illegal and everytime a murder happened in a house with Poptarts in it they blamed the Poptarts. I think its the same thing with MMJ. People are going to see this as low level crime, not as a Medical substance. I hope that the people of Chicago have a good experience with this POLITCAL tactic.

Look out people associate Rahm with Obama. He'll use this is an excuse for following up on his lenient MMj policy in some twisted way. Like,, hey he arrested some big time operations in California, but the everyday man is doing better in Chicago. Thats Obama rhetoric if Ive ever heard it.... "Just the other day a stoner in Chicago lit a joint and when a police officer saw it he didn't even strip search him! Now thats the New Hope!"

G

guest3901

Medical cannabis in Illinois has been "legal" since 78'.
But the states smokies not liking that.
State police put up a blockade..citing the states health department.
Have to read more into it.

d3cryption

Veteran
I'm sure all cameras in Chicago are streaming live..
Chicago has a major homeland security network.after all it is the third largest city in the USA.
I'm not really liking the states Med cannabis outlook,which comes back up for a vote in November.
Oh yeah,it was all good a few years ago.you could grow a certain # of plants in a certain amount of space..but now this new bill only allows one one grow op per county.
And if you want to have one of these you have to pay 30k for the license? ,buy the building,security..ect..
And Illinois has a specific list of ailments that must be proven by a state doc.

Fuck that..I'll stay underground.

hahaha......75% percent of the cameras work...... things happen under does cameras that not even police know about...... the westside of chicago alone has a camera on almost every other street corner..... in the beginning it slowed drugs and killings down. but now not so much........but i digress.

only time will tell how this <15 grams=ticket goes, could be a test.

Not enough honest people understand

Not enough honest people understand

pah!

while im glad people don't have to worry about jail time over silly shit like weed, it's not because chicago is such a grand progressive city. it's all about the $$$$ chicago is one giant trap waiting for you to set it off and cough up some dough. that is all.

fucking $250-$500 fines for $30 - $100 (depending on how much you got ripped off for that "loud") worth of weed. you were better off with the old system really where the judge would most likely throw out your case as a waste of time if the cops didn't just pocket your shit and send you on your way.

that mayor rahm, all about the bottom line...lining his pockets that is.

also that medical thing, prolly never gonna happen unless there is big $$$ attached. they've been sitting on that one for years now. goes to the house, gets stalled, expires, gotta start over again. and again and again...and again

The reason we have laws ( not the only reason, mind you) is to seperate honest people from their hard earned cash.
This goes back to the founding of civilization as we know it.
I understand there are other & necessary reasons for laws but this has never stopped an honest theif/politician from emptying your pockets. The elite do this under the guise making civilization civilized but you strip away all of the layers of municiple BS & double speak right down to the core of the matter at hand & you are left with one nugget of truth. It's about the money/power, it always has been, it always will be.:moon:

edit: There's a reason that bs artists like zerobama & the rest of his ilk (politicians,
leaders of every format, spiritual, popularity, etc.) hate the internet & want to
severly restrict it's use. The 'net' is allowing the truth to get out there faster than it
ever has. Where it used to take up to years for the truth to get out in printed form
it now takes a matter of hours severly limiting their ability to sucessfurly lie & get
away with it.
If we lose the 'net' we lose our freedom.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
why can't the CPD come out in force like they did with the NATO summit..?

BTW..if your ever in Chicago,leave your smartphone in your pocket.and try to avoid the red line..

do you really need to ask why they aren't always out in force like NATO?

also that kind of prejudiced thinking contributes to why the city is so fucked up and there aren't any police on the south and west sides.

it's all about the $$$ in the end. they let the area's with the mostly non white faces go to shit and get overrun with violence so that they can force everyone out and replace apartments and cheap housing with half a million dollar condo's. :cough: cabrini, :cough: bronzeville, :cough: the low end. :cough: coming to a poor neighborhood near you.

i think in the old days they called it gentrification. or something like that?

I'm sure all cameras in Chicago are streaming live..
Chicago has a major homeland security network.after all it is the third largest city in the USA.
I'm not really liking the states Med cannabis outlook,which comes back up for a vote in November.
Oh yeah,it was all good a few years ago.you could grow a certain # of plants in a certain amount of space..but now this new bill only allows one one grow op per county.
And if you want to have one of these you have to pay 30k for the license? ,buy the building,security..ect..
And Illinois has a specific list of ailments that must be proven by a state doc.

Fuck that..I'll stay underground.

also most of this ^^^ false. there is no medical program in IL, there was a medical trial program "passed into law" back in the 70's but it never went anywhere just one of those ghost laws. but marijuana is only schedule 3 in IL not sched 1 like fed law. any cultivation is a crime. 1 plant or 100,000,000

as for the flashing blue lights on the poles. some or those cameras work, and some are actually cameras the rest are just flashing blue lights on poles. the percentage of what is what? who knows. but i can assure you those cameras do fuck all, people still sell drugs right under the cameras. they can't see straight down. those cameras on the buses most likely do nothing either. the ones at the train station are live and monitored by the guard at the station. those red light cameras allllllll work 100%. in fact if no other camera anywhere else in the city works those red light ones will. those one are tied to lots and lots of money.

true story, my friend lives near an intersection at the bottom of 4 hills. always accidents. always cuz you cant see the light till you reach the bottom of the hill and there are 2 bridges on 2 of the 4 intersection. i come by one week and see the remnants of an accident like i do most of the time i go see her. broken glass a piece of a fender, etc. i go back a few weeks later what do i see. shiny new red light camera's. no new signs or anything warning of the intersection and lights ahead though. just a money making camera at the bottom. this is chicago thinking. not about reducing accidents. just about making money on them. still see broken glass and fender pieces and half a mile long skid marks.

most of these camera's in the city are malfunctioning anyway. i guarantee you will see them going off for no reason, or when no one ran a light if you stand by one long enough.

Last edited:
G

guest3901

I only state the facts..you label me as prejudice thinker.
Well my white face isn't as ignorant as yours..whatever color it may be.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
no those are not facts. i lived in chicago for 25 years before i moved. that's prejudiced thinking. don't have your phone out on the red line... what type of shit is that? the reason crime flourishes on the south and west side where it's predominantly non white is because there is a serious lack of police presence. there is a general lack of care for any area of the city where it's predominantly non white.

3 things you will see on the north side and not on the south and west sides.

cops making patrols
city workers cleaning the streets
garbage cans on the street corners.

if you claim im lying you either never go to the south side or you don't live in chicago. these are all facts. they don't care about you if you aren't white. chicago is the most racist city i have ever been to, and i've been to a lot of places in the south and indiana.

P.S. i never said you were prejudiced. i said statements like yours are prejudiced thinking. everyone that isn't white isn't out to kill or rob you. that's what they want you to think so that they can continue their policies and you wont care. why would you care about what happens to a bunch of people who are only going to rob you or kill you? amirite?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's been a ticket here since the 70's, but we're no closer to MMJ or anything else now than we were then. One reason we have laws is because it makes our legislators look like they're doing something. If murders go down, it won't be because the police have everything under control, now that they don't have to take those in possession to jail, it'll be because the gangsters are chillin for other reasons.

If it's all about the money, the first question is where exactly does the money for these fines go. If it doesn't help the police, they won't care.

ghettochild

I've lived in chicago my whole life and this is just another way to get money out of our pockets and into theirs. This is not a step in the right direction just another form of submission we have all accepted as a form of progress... get a clue.

THIS IS ANOTHER FORM OF TAXATION! why else would all these alderman be in favor of it.

Drift13

Having been born, raised and living in Chicago until about 7 years ago I gotta agree with ghettochild. Nothing happens in Shitcago if the $$$ ain't right.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is still completely up to the cops judgement to write the ticket or they can still lock you up if they are so inclined.

This is all about adding some cash to the cities coffers.

irobot sd

See the problem here is that this fixes nothing. Like the traffic light at the intersection all this will do is tax victims. I found neighborhood gangs sell most of the work out there. If you buy from someone that's not in a gang that person is usually very nervous about stepping on their turf... I lived there for a year and scoring decent smoke wasn't easy. usually took a day or 2 sometimes even a week.. A nervewrecking experience if you're a steady smoker.

d3cryption

Veteran
See the problem here is that this fixes nothing. Like the traffic light at the intersection all this will do is tax victims. I found neighborhood gangs sell most of the work out there. If you buy from someone that's not in a gang that person is usually very nervous about stepping on their turf... I lived there for a year and scoring decent smoke wasn't easy. usually took a day or 2 sometimes even a week.. A nervewrecking experience if you're a steady smoker.

it took you 2 - 7 days to get some good weed? imho, the problem was you... You most likely didn't know people, that smoked good weed. and/or was too scared to go get the good weed.... I've been in plenty of circles, black, white, hispanic, etc... and every group i've hung with knew where to get good weed... it's not just gangs that sell weed,amongst other things out there.... it's more accepted in the black and hispanic areas and more so black..... and people who are not in "gangs" that sell weed isn't nervous because of the gang members, they are probably just scared because of the risk they are taking...... cant believe it was hard getting getting good weed............

irobot sd

it took you 2 - 7 days to get some good weed? imho, the problem was you... You most likely didn't know people, that smoked good weed. and/or was too scared to go get the good weed.... I've been in plenty of circles, black, white, hispanic, etc... and every group i've hung with knew where to get good weed... it's not just gangs that sell weed,amongst other things out there.... it's more accepted in the black and hispanic areas and more so black..... and people who are not in "gangs" that sell weed isn't nervous because of the gang members, they are probably just scared because of the risk they are taking...... cant believe it was hard getting getting good weed............

I never said GOOD weed. I said decent weed. TOo scared lol.. I lived in humbolt park a lot more things to be "scared of" than getting weed. Trust I saw every type you mentioned get vamped... Talman & wabansia corner. Better know what color cap you wearing.. Better know somebody on the block corner.. Nice try to take my words out of context though... Probably different than the wrigley addison stop where the "good" weed is.... smh...

d3cryption

Veteran
I never said GOOD weed. I said decent weed. TOo scared lol.. I lived in humbolt park a lot more things to be "scared of" than getting weed. Trust I saw every type you mentioned get vamped... Talman & wabansia corner. Better know what color cap you wearing.. Better know somebody on the block corner.. Nice try to take my words out of context though... Probably different than the wrigley addison stop where the "good" weed is.... smh...

talman & wabansia? lmfao... only thing to worry about in that area is cobras and maniacs(mld), or kings shooting at each other..........
if you stayed in humbolt park, corrent me if i'm wrong, you was only 15 mins at most, from a range of bad . ok, descent , good, and grade A...... i'm not trying to put words in your mouth, i'm just saying it how it is.....

supermanlives

Veteran
ill makes me ill . i lived in rockford for 30 days. wouldnt want to live there again . and black crowes concert sucked ass

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
see past your nose

see past your nose

None of these laws are really what we want. But by seeing on national news that one of the largest citys in the country is going to reduce a penalty for simple possesion is a good thing. Most people in the other states aren't going to read the fine print. They just see some more capitulation toward ultimate legalization It may be two steps forward, one back, but it's still the right direction.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/chicago-to-ticket-for-marijuana-possession/Content?oid=6861353

carefully read, this article pretty much sums up chicago politics and politicians in general. points are made, and the typical politician response to those points is to gloss over them. the majority, staggeringly overwhelming majority of people arrested for weed in chicago as with most other cities is black people. how to address this issue of obvious racial profiling? why make money off of it in the form of tickets. not lets arrest everyone equally, but lets make money off of the poor disenfranchised instead.