What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chevy's blumatized organic soil LED mini grow

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day12 of flower

Day12 of flower

Quick update, day 12
Everthing starts stretching, keeping them in check a bit with some supercropping/pinching

I think they're pretty far for 12 days!!!

I'm now using the whole multi compartment tent.
Here are some fresh seedlings:
2 Jack Herer in the back, an Auto Diesel and an Acapulco Gold in the front. I'm flipping them today. I want really small plants, just need a couple of decent buds to test and if I find anything outstanding I reveg the respective plant to then grow out properly or take clones.
I don't need a lot of weed, but I want to make sure I can try lots in my mini set up and I only fully grow out the shit I really like.

And here are already two new ones coming, same programme:
Was really impressed by BArney's Acapulco Gold, so have ordered a few more from them, Strawberry Lemonade (L)and Gorilla Zkittles(R)

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow that's good shit Saitama,
I need to investigate.
You control them with an app or what? Or just via IP?
Crazy...
CC

saitama

Wow that's good shit Saitama,
I need to investigate.
You control them with an app or what? Or just via IP?
Crazy...
CC

You can absolutely control them through an app. Many ways to do it.

I use them with a server/app called home assistant. It's used for home automation, but works perfectly for grow room automation.

Here is where I got my inspiration: https://youtu.be/Q9fjKeYOyqU

Happy to help you out if you want to get started

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Lots of ways to use smart home devices in a grow now. For the more tech inclined there is also cheaper option with arduino.
Great grow, brother. I enjoy puffing a nice joint and looking at your grow. :puffpuff:

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can absolutely control them through an app. Many ways to do it.

I use them with a server/app called home assistant. It's used for home automation, but works perfectly for grow room automation.

Here is where I got my inspiration: https://youtu.be/Q9fjKeYOyqU

Happy to help you out if you want to get started

Thank you man, I'm looking into this asap! I'm intrigued.
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of ways to use smart home devices in a grow now. For the more tech inclined there is also cheaper option with arduino.
Great grow, brother. I enjoy puffing a nice joint and looking at your grow. :puffpuff:

My Bro!
Good to see you around. And so much conversation going on here I can't believe it :)
Normally this continuous grow report is more of a meditative thing for me!!
Happy anyways with all the feedback.
Happy worker, happy factory!
Cheers
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DAy15

DAy15

Another update. Not much has happened but the Gorilla Zkittles sed has also germed by now ;-)

Reflowering Sour Blueberry(back) and Blueberry (front)

2 Jack Herer (back), Sour Diesel Auto and Acapulco Gold

Strawberry Lemonade and Gorilla Zkittles

I bought some smart plugs the other day and will try using them as timers for both light cycles currently happning in my tent.

CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lights faintly glowing during lights off

Lights faintly glowing during lights off

I have found a solution to the problem with my Mars Hydro TS1000, which would still glow very faintly even when the timer shuts it off.
After some discussions on various threads it became clear that the normal timer design is so that the tiny amount of current the timers run on, has to go through the lamp, although at such a low rate that any normal light would not illuminate.
Now for LEDs this current is big enough to produce a weak glow and a couple of options that were available all interfere directly with the wiring of the light.
Most likely they might need to add a zener diode or check the grounding. A weak current could also be induced by parallel running wires, but I think this is not the issue.

Anyways, I have purchased a couple of wifi smart plugs, which you can control via an app on the phone. They do come with a very convenient timer mode, which I am using now. No more glowing, complete darkness now. Looks like they're wired differently compared to the "normal" timers ;-)

I'll report if anything changes compared to how the plants were doing before.
I have to say again, I think both plants are re-flowering much quicker this time than the first time around.
Funny enough the two plants in the flower compartment have never seen complete darkness. FRom when I germed the seeds they have been under the TS1000 on a normal timer, which would still glow weakly at night. Let's see if this changes anything.

CC

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I have found a solution to the problem with my Mars Hydro TS1000, which would still glow very faintly even when the timer shuts it off.
After some discussions on various threads it became clear that the normal timer design is so that the tiny amount of current the timers run on, has to go through the lamp, although at such a low rate that any normal light would not illuminate.
Now for LEDs this current is big enough to produce a weak glow and a couple of options that were available all interfere directly with the wiring of the light.
Most likely they might need to add a zener diode or check the grounding. A weak current could also be induced by parallel running wires, but I think this is not the issue.

Anyways, I have purchased a couple of wifi smart plugs, which you can control via an app on the phone. They do come with a very convenient timer mode, which I am using now. No more glowing, complete darkness now. Looks like they're wired differently compared to the "normal" timers ;-)

I'll report if anything changes compared to how the plants were doing before.
I have to say again, I think both plants are re-flowering much quicker this time than the first time around.
Funny enough the two plants in the flower compartment have never seen complete darkness. FRom when I germed the seeds they have been under the TS1000 on a normal timer, which would still glow weakly at night. Let's see if this changes anything.

CC
This thread has the real reason the LED's glow when the timer is off, it is because the timer only cuts one conductor not both so the remaining conductor acts as a capacitor generating charge which has to flow somewhere so it flows through the LED.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=374799

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Frosty, good stuff

I guess a zener diode does the same (?) by blocking the current on the remaining phase if I'm not mistaken...?
Anyways until they can come up with something I have the smart plug in place.
Just a bit weird that something like this would occur in the first place.
I'm guessing it must be specific for this TS1000 light, the other ones I own don't do this.
Would be interested what other TS1000 users are saying and if it's a general problem or just some error in my light.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Harvested her today.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71351&pictureid=1807191&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Here's one of the bigger branches.
I'll post more pics of the tops when they're dry.
I only cut of the big fans and will now slowly dry the plant a couple of days to prepare for the jar curing process.

Smoked the quick dried bit from 2 days ago. Nice flavor, mild potency but perfect to smoke on, on the second joint now. Very relaxed but not inhibited.
cc

Same 4 to 1 splitters I am using.

1600 lumens per 14 watt led. Almost 60 watts per plant.

Great looking plants!

saitama

Nice job on the smart plugs! If you ever want to ditch that stock app and run a full automation system, let me know.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Same 4 to 1 splitters I am using.

1600 lumens per 14 watt led. Almost 60 watts per plant.

Great looking plants!

Thanks Med, Yeah those were the times hahaha.
Was always very fond of the SILs and really liked growing with them as it's such a low key, stealth and cheap option to grow top quality cannabis.
I'm still using a bunch of them in one of the smaller side compartments of my tent (it has three compartments overall)

But also happy that I have moved on to the TS1000 which works a treat.
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice job on the smart plugs! If you ever want to ditch that stock app and run a full automation system, let me know.

Thanks Saitama,
At one point I'm sure I will. So far everything is geared towards minimal maintenance. To a point where I feel I'm not even doing anything with the plants except for bits here and there.
I travel a lot and therefore use amended soil, watering with water only mostly until harvest.

I also have some heating installed that will kick in if temps drop below 15C as well as a hepa filter on intake and everything is blumatised.
I reckon with the new reservoir filled to the top I should be good for about a month away.
Next would be a temp controlled extraction system with a min fan speed to keep neg pressure in the tent.
I also have a little wifi camera I wanted to put in to check on the plants while away but have not put it in place because I'm a little uneasy with pics of cannabis plants broadcasted through the internet? (the feed is password protected but still...)

Cheers
CC

saitama

Thanks Saitama,
At one point I'm sure I will. So far everything is geared towards minimal maintenance. To a point where I feel I'm not even doing anything with the plants except for bits here and there.
I travel a lot and therefore use amended soil, watering with water only mostly until harvest.

I also have some heating installed that will kick in if temps drop below 15C as well as a hepa filter on intake and everything is blumatised.
I reckon with the new reservoir filled to the top I should be good for about a month away.
Next would be a temp controlled extraction system with a min fan speed to keep neg pressure in the tent.
I also have a little wifi camera I wanted to put in to check on the plants while away but have not put it in place because I'm a little uneasy with pics of cannabis plants broadcasted through the internet? (the feed is password protected but still...)

Cheers
CC

Glad you got that sorted!

I agree with your concern regarding stuff being in the cloud, which is why I use old android phones running "Android IP Webcam". I have a VPN on my router which allows me to access my grow data/control from anywhere in the world.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I think with a webcam, you want to make sure there are no other hubs than your own involved.
This cam I have needs an app to operate and who knows who's seeing all the data, despite the password...
Then again, sometimes I wonder if anyone cares...even in prohibition land... a couple plants... is that worth the effort for anyone to look into it?
Cheers,
CC

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
3 weeks flowering

3 weeks flowering

Hi all,
This should be end of week three if I didn't miscount.

Some nice buds starts forming!
A little resin is also starting to show on both and it still smells very "green" and floral in a way

Here's a closer look:

The 2 JH, Auto Diesel and Acapulco gold are doing ok, almost a week into 12/12

Unfortuntely the Strawberry Lemonade and the Gorilla Zkittlez are not doing so great. I treated them like all other before them from seed.
The SL on the left has also somehow folded over today. It looks like damping off only that it was never damp... or very humid...
They were still in the rootplugs only, so I gave them small pots and a bit of organic soil, maybe that can balance humidity, moisture at the roots or whatever is stunting them...
Also switched the heat mat back on just in case 15C is a a bit low for them

Take care all
CC

St. Phatty

Then again, sometimes I wonder if anyone cares...even in prohibition land... a couple plants... is that worth the effort for anyone to look into it?
Cheers,
CC

if you're dealing with Cops engaged in a Make Work program - and they can sieze your stuff via "civil" asset forfeiture - yes they have a hard-on for making your Life, Hell.

American policing as Civil War.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
New Seeds/ Qleaner crosses

New Seeds/ Qleaner crosses

Finally got round to labelling and sealing up the bunch of seeds I accidentally made when one super early Qleaner male from TGA/Subcool impregnated a bunch of flowering ladies.
Far from a breeding project, but some of the parent ladies were really nice smoke so I figured adding a bit of Qleaner to any of them might produce some nice offspring to sort through at some point.
The ladies were/ the seeds are:

Qleaner X Acapulco Gold
Qleaner X F-13#1
Qleaner X F-13#2
Qleaner X F-13#3
Qleaner X SLH
Qleaner X Qleaner

It only produced a few seeds on most plants, I guess not all the flowers were fully mature yet, as I said the Qleaner male was extra early.
And on top I have probably a few hundred more seeds between Qleaner and all the three F-13s which got it heavier than the other ladies because out of this mix the F-13s were the shortest flowering strain. But those are still in the buds that I have not smoked yet hahaha.

The Acapulco Gold, the Qleaner and the F-13#1 and #3 were really nice so I hope to pop all these in the near future.

Enjoy the weekend!
CC