What's new

Cheapo 9W LED Ikea Trashbin Grow - GHS Super Bud

T

trem0lo

Hi tebos, super nice box you've got here. I'm excited to see what that little light can do.

Looks like you've got a soil issue. What is your medium? To me it looks too heavy--not enough oxygen getting to the roots causing funky growth, curling leaves and nute deficiencies.

tebos

@kiwi: I see what you mean and am thankful for you advice, the leaf you're pointing out wasn't yellow, it's just the (light colored) bottom side you're seeing. I reviewed other picture I have taken and there is only yellowing on the two 3 bladed leafs.
However I think you're right, there were signs of nuteburn I ignored(didn't see?) before, thanks for that.

@trem0lo: I'm using soil and I used fertilizer after repotting with fresh soil, which probably led to overfertilization. (fresh soil + full dosage fertilizer)

@Robert and PetFlora: Appreciate it, thank you!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow. Awesome idea/execution

I think it would be good to add some air circulation. Did not see whether the fan is exhaust

Do you have a hygrometer? Good to monitor RH and temps- serves double duty while curing in jars

Also it's going to be very crowded in there. Plants want room to breath and exchange gases

It just occurred to me; 19" led tubes are available. You could run them vertically- one on each side or on in each corner, but that would be pushing it

Last edited:
T

trem0lo

@trem0lo: I'm using soil and I used fertilizer after repotting with fresh soil, which probably led to overfertilization. (fresh soil + full dosage fertilizer)

Actually in post #62 I see the beginnings of a N deficiency in the lower leaves that you removed. Purpling stems is an early phosphorus deficiency indicator also. Don't fertilize though, it's not the main problem.

The slight drooping/curling leaves indicate overwatering, or a medium without enough aeration. It's pretty minor, and the plant will grow out of it somewhat during flower, but your yield will suffer. If you end up transplanting definitely add perlite or something similar. Cannabis likes very light, aerated soil and will become overwatered easily while young, leading to slow growth and ph problems leading to deficiencies that aren't really there. I would not water for awhile until the root zone dries out.

One more piece of advice if you don't mind... as you have plenty of vertical space you don't need to train so aggressively early on. Let it stretch its legs and train as you go. She looks to be a short, squat indica plant anyway so she won't get so tall. You'll likely get one main bud and some side buds, just pull the main stem down to match the level of the side buds.

Good luck!

K

kiwi_growa

Your still not seeing what i mean, so i give up. I'm sure the problem would have gone by now, it was only minor.

Will be watching man! keep up the pictures your doing well:)

tebos

Wow. Awesome idea/execution

I think it would be good to add some air circulation. Did not see whether the fan is exhaust
Thanks Petflora, the fan is an exhaust and yes, the air intakes are now (with the bigger pot blocking the bottom intakes) pretty limited but there is no more space left and that's why I'm supplementing CO2 to make up for this.

Do you have a hygrometer? Good to monitor RH and temps- serves double duty while curing in jars
Hygrometer exists and I'm monitoring it.

It just occurred to me; 19" led tubes are available. You could run them vertically- one on each side or on in each corner, but that would be pushing it
LED tubes don't fit and only use cheapo china LEDs, that's no viable option.

Actually in post #62 I see the beginnings of a N deficiency in the lower leaves that you removed. Purpling stems is an early phosphorus deficiency indicator also. Don't fertilize though, it's not the main problem.
But there are no purple stems anywhere in the pictures? Also there is no curling or dropping of the leaves, that's just because they grow right next to the walls.

The slight drooping/curling leaves indicate overwatering, or a medium without enough aeration. It's pretty minor, and the plant will grow out of it somewhat during flower, but your yield will suffer. If you end up transplanting definitely add perlite or something similar. Cannabis likes very light, aerated soil and will become overwatered easily while young, leading to slow growth and ph problems leading to deficiencies that aren't really there. I would not water for awhile until the root zone dries out.
I don't think that I overwater, quite the opposite actually. There probably has been a slight nute buildup because of fresh soil and addtionally added feritilizer, pH is around 6 btw.

One more piece of advice if you don't mind... as you have plenty of vertical space you don't need to train so aggressively early on. Let it stretch its legs and train as you go. She looks to be a short, squat indica plant anyway so she won't get so tall. You'll likely get one main bud and some side buds, just pull the main stem down to match the level of the side buds.
I don't have plenty of vertical space ;) 35cm height (14") and the bin almost full yet, the training from the start was neccessary.

Sorry kiwi_growa, I probably don't see it.

K

kiwi_growa

Here's an example of leaf tips burnt from too much nutrients :

And here I've circled the tips on your plant that i see are burnt :

Do you see what i mean now Tebos? It is very very minor. And could even be caused by heat, but i reckon nutrients did that. Just something to look out for in the future.

tebos

That's what I meant by saying that you see the (lighter colored) bottom side, those leafs are curled up because they grew against the wall of the bin. I know you could easily think/interpret them as yellowing leafs but they really aren't, I looked up all the photos from the update day and this leaf is green all the way.

If you look at the leaf next the the left circle you drew, you can see what I mean.

tebos

Today I had to wire the plant again because the main stem grew too tall and some leafs were reaching the LEDs directly with some minor burn on one of them.
I managed to get her down to a good size and move some sidebranches into the light, who might need it more than the "main bud".

picture.php

Again only tap water today. Flowering day 14

By the way, this is the fertilizer I'm using:

picture.php

NPK 6-5-9 I think and as usual I had it laying around from growing chili before, not optimal I know. After this I'll probably make the switch to coco hempys anyways, with new/more space of course.

tebos

Flowering day 17!

picture.php

Before wiring, right off the trashbin.

picture.php

After wiring, half the size.

picture.php

Side buds.

picture.php

Main bud.

picture.php

I have to observe how these leafs will do in the future, I gave them quarter dose of fertilizer today.

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
i agree with the above :good:

if i may suggest something, i'd advise to prune all the tops now, or at least the main one.

i regret not having done that with the Hot Mix girls and they stretched like hell, besides they have small number of huge buds. what you want there is a huge number of small buds (well, smaller than otherwise). The potential of the plant will be directed in a different way but none of its potency will disappear, no worries.

keep up the good job. and a cool show! :biggrin:

Neekz

One thing to note too is NKOTS's "hotmix"er's seem a bit more Sativa leaning and they stretch about twice as long (time and length!) as an Indy pheno like Tebos has... I feel they wont stretch much more, but I can't see in person so no. From what Ive seen in many grows, removing the popcorn doesn't seem to do much, sometimes even stressing the plant. Save the fluff for hash/ concentrates...

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
no, i actually mean topping the tips.
essentially snipping the ends of each stem.
it will lead to little prolongation of bloom but at the end of the day it will give larger number of buds. they will be smaller this way but total weight won't suffer. many folks claim that it actually improves the yield.

Neekz

Idk bout topping that far into flower but to each his own. I prefer natural colas over topped chunky ones, more stem/leaf ratio on the latter. I don't see u having any penetration problems so those bottom nugs should fill up regardless. You are the final judge on whether the stretch is slowing or not. I say u pull close to a half with plenty sugar trim. I personally never like stressing once in flower, as it always prolonged flowering alot for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts