What's new

Cheaper clone machines?

B00st3d

Im bout ready to buy a cloning machine since Im sick of using domes, sprayin constantly, etc...I noticed some cheap ones on ebay for between 80-130 bux. They seem to have a similar design to the EZ Clone and Power Cloner but cost a fraction. I would hate to get some piece of crap that doesnt work and waste a bunch of clones.

So has anyone used the "Super Mist 49 site Aeroponic Cloning Machine" Its $125 on ebay and seems like a heck of a value but does it work as well as the EZ clone or Power Cloner? And what about the cheaper cloners that botanicare makes like their 25 site Clone Machine which sells for $160 shipped at several online stores.

What should I do ? I wanna be able to take about 25 clones or so at a time for now so I was thinkin with the 49 site machine I would have room to space them out if needed, I like takin good sized cuttings. However sometimes I will be takin more then 25, so I could always buy another 25 site if I decide to expand.The botanicare 25 site would suit my needs but is it any better then the ebay one which takes twice as many cuts? Is it better for me to get something bigger then what I need right now based on the value of the 49 site? I cant make my mind up and I wanna get something here in the next week or two. I already know the EZ Cloner and Power Cloner work so theres no need to try and sell me on one of those, I just dont wanna invest 300+ dollars right now. 150-200 dollars would be more along the lines of what my budget allows for now. If you have used the ebay cloners then please chime in with some feedback. Thanks guys:1help:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
The aeroponic cloners are known to work great once or twice and then never again. Build a bubbler for $30 or less. All you need is a covered tub, airstone and pump. Possibly a heat mat or aquarium heater.

Note the lack of dome and an RH reading of 28%. I've cloned as low as 15%. Keep cuts short and leaves trimmed and misting/domes/RH is unneeded.

FrostyGreen

Hey B00st3d...have you thought about making a DIY bubble cloner. They are really easy to make (and alot cheaper) and have a high success rate. Super easy and no hormones, just plain tap water. 7-14 days later you have roots. You can always go bigger like you need, but 18 clones sites per shoe box style res works for me. Hope this helps and saves you some $$$. Good luck!!!

B00st3d

I already built one and after 6 days I saw no roots so I pulled the plug on that DIY. I used a small storage container with a lid, air diffuser, pump and rapid rooters. I made 8 holes, stuck the rapid rooters in there. First I sliced the rapid rooters and placed the cuttings in there leavin about an inch hangin out the bottom. Then I filled the water(6.0 ph) so it didnt quite touch the stems, only the bubbles touched. I did notice that cuts didnt wilt at all and I didnt even spray them much, maybe once a day. The stems didnt rot or anything like that but I expected to see some roots within 6 days. So thats why I made this thread , to see if there was a cheap alternative to the 350 dollar machines that I could buy instead of tryin again to build. I need clones quik and in a hurry and I dont wanna waste any more clones on a home made jerry-rigged machine. I think aeroponic is the way to go rather then just a pump/airstone/diffused setup. So back on topic, what to buy....

Shady Smoka

Well, if you would have left the clones in the DIY cloner you'd have roots by now. It takes UP TO 14 days.....6 days is pushing it I believe. I've used (and am using) one and it works excellent. You just set 'em and forget 'em...for the most part.

6 days is like, woah. fastest i've ever seen roots i think is about 10, and it usually takes longer than that.

diy bubblers 4evar!!!~ :joint:

B00st3d

well I been using rapid rooters for a few years and most recently I got 5 out of 5 clones to root perfectly in 8 days. I just transplanted them yesterday into small containers with coco/perlite. So if I can do 8 days like that then Id figure I could get a machine that would do it in maybe 7 at the most. But most of all its about quantity for me, puttin 25 clones in rapid rooters is a pain in the ass keepin up with them. Sprayin inside the dome requires being home every day and I cant be havin that anymore.

like shady says brah, set it and forget it, lol.

alls i do is clip it up, scarify the stem a little, light dusting of hormone, toss em in 1" rockwool and baby bubblers do the rest in the "humidity tent" i make out of an emergency blanket.

some plants clone better than others of course. never used rapid rooters either so i cant comment on em.

FrostyGreen

Well I guess to each his own. I agree with B00st3d on the RR's being fast, but find the convinience of not doing daily work worth it with bubble cloners. Just transfer to RR or RW, cut with a slit on one side and slide those puppies in. I guess timing and patience is everything. I've gone as long as 10 days not messing with the water with no ill effects on the clones. As it is, 25% tap water changes every 5-7 days does the trick (and my water is really crappy/hard). Best of luck tho bro. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

B00st3d

Im thinkin Im gonna get the botanicare 25 site cloner which is 160 bux. I already have a pack of those grodan rockwool starters with the slit down the side so I'll just put the rooted cuts in there right from the cloner then stick em in my 6x6x4 cubes and toss em in my ebb and flow. I did find the EZ Clone 30 for 220 bux at thegardendepotinc.com but I dunno if I trust ordering from that place. I just rather order from a shop on ebay, I feel safer that way for one reason or another. So for my budget and what Im tryin to do , the 25 site botanicare seems like a good choice. If I end up lovin it then I'll prolly buy another at some point. Anyone used it ? All I ever see on here is EZ Clone and Power Clone and of course home made cloners.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Bubble cloners are by far the most effective way to clone IMO. I have only had a problem with mine recently, and it turns out it was a result of a bad adhesive used to hold the stones down. Plain water cloning works, but bubble cloners are way faster. Totally locked in and with the right strains, 3 days start to finish is not impractical. Some strains are tougher to clone than others, but I've never had one take more than a week or two except when that adhesive poisoned them.

B00st3d

Ya but I wanna aeroponic cloner not a bubble cloner. Seems like no one whos posted in this thread understands what I want. I dont want a DIY or a bubble cloner, only aeroponic. Bubble cloners take too long, everyone says 10-14 days and I can beat that with rapid rooters. As far as money goes, when youre makin 20 grand+ per harv then why is a few hundred bux too much to spend? Especially considering an aeroponic cloner is garunteed to work where as a DIY bubble cloner isnt. I read thru tons of threads on here where ppl post up on how there bubble cloners did NOT work for them, usually due to not gettin the exact right temperature range. Can anyone vouch for the botanicare 25 site or the cheaper ebay aeroponic cloners ? All I get is ppl tryin to convince me that I need a bubble cloner ughhhhh.

thecarguy

In my experience, coco coir is better than aerocloners. My Powercloner 70 is killing some clones right now.

Lt. Herb

@ $20K per harvest I would think the difference between the $300 machine and the $150-200 eBay knockoff would be minimal.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Seems like no one whos posted in this thread understands what I want.

We understand exactly what you want. You want a completely unnecessary and grossly overpriced product prone to catastrophic failure. The number of folks here who got them to work once and never again are legion. Given your lack of patience and disinterest in work, the odds of you maintaining any success with this are extraordinarily slim.

B00st3d

Killin clones? You sure the water isnt too hot or cold? I havent heard much of anything negative bout the PowerCloners. Bottom line is I dont wanna have to be around all the time to nurse them, spray them, etc...I just wanna cut em, stick them in the cloner and check back on them once every few days.I have found that as long as I do everything right with rapid rooters I get a 100 percent success rate. I'd like to get that 100 percent rate or close without all the work involved. Plus I can crowd alot more clones into a small space when I dont have to spray them or use a dome since mold forming wont be an issue. Thats what sux bout rapid rooters is u gotta walk a fine line between keepin em moist and oversprayin them which leads to either mold or stem rot then you end up with a clone that never roots. I used to over wet them and over spray them and I wondered why only half would make it. If only a few people with experience could chime in then I could make my mind up and get the ball rollin.