What's new

Cheap energy...every grower in america needs one of these

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
i read up more on it. it says the some of the parts are very hard to get and are not that available. So basically itll never happen unless they can figure out how to change some of the metals that go in it.

F. Dupp

Veteran
Unfortunately, I doubt the corrupt entities in control would ever let this happen. Destroying the planet is a trillion dollar industry.

If they invented something like this that was disposable, made of plastic, worked for 15 minutes, and could then be dumped into the ocean, we could buy them at walmart tomorrow. By the disposable plastic bagful.

Max Headroom

Veteran
Unfortunately, I doubt the corrupt entities in control would ever let this happen. Destroying the planet is a trillion dollar industry.

If they invented something like this that was disposable, made of plastic, worked for 15 minutes, and could then be dumped into the ocean, we could buy them at walmart tomorrow. By the disposable plastic bagful.

^^^^^^^
100% truth.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
wow what interesting times we are living in. that sounds like a real step towards clean energy. it uses half as much as a modern gas powered power plant, which is already amazingly efficient so these things are totally awesome.

this guy is a real idealist too with his 3k price tag for a household unit. it seems to be the energy thing is about to get cracked open. i'm sure they have methods that they are keeping back that are even better. but as was said last thing these energy companies want is to lose their wired in customer base.

supermanlives

Veteran
If this is true and not some rotten hoax - it would change the world in ways we can't even imagine.

You can generate methane from pig shit! So this would mean that you could run a farm, with x amount of pigs, to provide you with all the energy you need.

Creating your own energy would allow you to run greenhouses - to produce crops - to feed your pigs. If you ran your farm in a sustainable and organic manner you could be virtually self-sufficient.

Would still be products you would need that you couldn't grow on your farm i.e bloomboxes - which they say should eventually be 3000$ for a normal house unit, but you could cashcrop for money to pay for those .

AND ALL THE BACON YOU COULD EVER EAT from your herd of methane producing pigs. :)

Gonna mean that the most valuable commodities in the world are going to be the same as they allways were. Land and water.

Anyways just gave my dream of being self-sufficient a big boost. A lot easier to farm when you can apply such techniques as artficial lighting and climate controlled greenhouses without having to pay for energy.

theres already atleast one cow farm using methane to produce its own electric

cebe11

This device is basically a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) look them up, they are not so super new at this point, but have yet to be commercialized. NASA and other more mundane places are using regular fuel cells all over for power and back up power etc, even used to power remote cell towers.
Showing that little black cube and saying it can produce X kw is akin to showing a piston of an engine and saying that this piston can produce 250 hp. You are forgetting the remaining 90% of the power plant.

Anyway - not banging on fuel cells but its a long way from being a commercial reality and this implies that its some secret that needs to be let out.

"Hydrogen - the fuel of the future.

And it always will be!"

Fuel Cell humor.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
This shit is truly revolutionary! Looking at Wikipedia, I see that there are other companies working on similar stuff, including an Australian company (Ceramic Fuel Cells) that is already producing stuff:

Wikipedia.org said:
Products

The first marketed product of the company is "BlueGen" a solid oxide fuel cell which creates electricity and heat by passing natural gas over ceramic fuel cells. BlueGen is 85% efficient and is reported to cut the average Australian home's annual carbon dioxide emissions by 18 tonnes.[5]

Partners

CFCL has signed agreements with leading European utility customers and appliance partners in Europe and Japan to deploy micro-CHP units using CFCL's SOFC technology. These agreements give the Company access to a number of large and advanced European markets for m-CHP units. The Company's utility partners in these markets have a total of more than 20 million gas and electricity customers.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
It's certainly more aesthetic than acres of solar panels and wind farms. Who cares if it's not a self contained perpetual motion fusion whatever, it has the potential to contribute to alternative energy opportunities. There's no single thing that can replace our energy needs but there's lots of alternatives to consider. 34% of new, global energy employed in 2010 was alternative. Hopefully that percentage climbs until we make a significant difference in energy dependence.

WelderDan

Veteran
Japan has had a commercially available fuel cell that operates on natural gas for several years. The unit has a separator that splits hydrogen from natural gas and the hydrogen then runs through the fuel cell creating electricity. The unit produces enough electricity for a small apartment. Byproducts from the fuel cell are water and oxygen. The downside is that the byproduct of splitting hydrogen from natural gas is CO2 which vents to the atmosphere. While not perfect, it is independent of the electrical grid and as long as there is available natural gas, you've got electricity. At the time I read about it, the monthly cost was comparable to electricity from the grid (in Japan). The unit was not cheap, but the government subsidized the cost if the homeowner joined the program.

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
the solar panels(8) that power my mothers home , along w/ the deep cell batteries(16), inverter, charge controller, etc cost about 10-15 thousand, along w minimal upkeep. she is completely off the grid. the power company wants her to pay the 8k it will cost to run the line 600ft from the rd.

the house i am building is going to have 20-30 panels, 32 batteries, etc etc. cost: about 45k. i will be producing enough power between 7am and 8pm that i will be able to sell the excess power to the electric company. someone i know down the road has about the same setup, he gets a 150-250$ check every month.

i am going to contact this "BLOOMBOX" company. i would like to incorporate a couple of these boxes w my solar power. of course, i would use either NG, propane or fuel oil.

i know they wont be anywhere near the 3k per box, but it is worth looking into.