What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Gosho reminds us to:
"Employ the strategy of the Lotus Sutra before any other."*
If we chant, wisdom will well forth.
If we take action, our momentum will increase.
Let's win in all our endeavours through a positive change in our inner resolve!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho - Strategy of the Lotus Sutra, WND-1, pg 1001

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If teacher and disciple are of different minds, they will never accomplish anything."

(Flowering and Bearing Grain - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 909) Selection source: Myoji no Gen, Seikyo Shimbun, October 23rd, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"We must start by chanting with unity of purpose or shared commitment. In all my efforts, I chanted with the powerful resolve to win for the sake of kosen-rufu and my mentor. I also chanted for my fellow members who were striving valiantly alongside me. And even in leading the members in chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo three times, I earnestly strove to get everyone to chant together in solid unity for our goal.

"When people work together in this way, their combined power grows not by the simple arithmetic of 1 + 1 = 2, but exponentially to become 10 or 100. This positive multiplication effect is the wonder of unity in faith. Teamwork based on mutual trust and support is a source of tremendous momentum."

SGI Newsletter No. 8650, Humanistic Teachings for Victory, (6) Unity Is a Powerful Force for Victory, Standing Up Resolutely. From 18th April 18, 2012, issue of the Soka Shimpo, the Soka Gakkai youth division’s fortnightly newspaper, translated 15th Oct. 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Were they not Bodhisattvas of the Earth, they could not chant the daimoku."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 385) Selection Source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shinbun, October 14th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin writes: 'I say this not out of arrogance, but because I am deeply committed to the correct teaching' (WND-1, 302).

"Being deeply committed to the correct teaching gives us the strength to surmount all hardship and adversity.

"What does it mean to have 'deep commitment to the correct teaching'? Our commitment to uphold the correct teaching must be very deep and strong. The state of Buddhahood wells up in the lives of those who have such commitment and resolve. It is important to have the spirit to treasure the Mystic Law and the Soka Gakkai. This spirit will ignite the passionate wish to strive for kosen-rufu. Courage will well forth from within your life.”

SGI Newsletter No. 8641, Young Phoenixes, Soar into the Future! (7) President Ikeda’s Lecture on “Letter from Sado”—Part 1 [of 2], from the May 2011 issue of the Daibyakurenge,, translated 4th Oct. 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It has always been the SGI's proud tradition that "leaders"
take the initiative.
With unyielding determination,
let's open a great path to the future!
The time is right now to spur ourselves on,
brimming with a fresh challenging spirit.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I pray that before anything else I can guide and lead the ruler and those others who persecuted me. I will tell the Buddha about all the disciples who have aided me, and before I die, I will transfer the great blessings deriving from my practice to my parents who gave me life."

(On the Buddha's Prophecy - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 1, page 402)
Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, November 4th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When everyone unites with the determination to achieve kosen-rufu, a breakthrough will be made. By aligning ourselves with the Law of the universe, we can activate the heavenly deities—the positive forces of the universe. Prayer based on the Mystic Law has the power to unite members’ hearts and transform opponents into allies, bringing everyone together for a common cause regardless of minor differences."

SGI Newsletter No. 8654, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age. [6] Working Together in Harmonious Unity—Part 2 [of 3], from 3rd Oct., 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 24th Oct., 2012.

Liza

Chant

Chant

Have you ever wondered why we talk of "spelling"?
There is a spell word implanted in the brain of every English-speaking child
the root mantra of restriction, the secret name of a mighty hidden demon:
"eybeesee-dee-ee-eff-geeaitcheye-jai-kayell-emenn-
ohpeequeue-​are-ess-tee-youveedouble-you-ex-wyezed".

That name and all the names it generates were designed
to set limits upon humanity's ability to express abstract thought.
What you see depends upon the words you have to describe what you see.

Nothing exists unless we say it.

Sir Miles Delacourt

easyDaimoku

Veteran
I'm ALIVE! I've been and will continue to chant as much as possible so that I could finish up this year strong. I'm struggling hard at work, grad school, finances, life in general and need to have a huge victory with school. The burdens of life have been super heavy, but I'm faithful that the Gohonzon will protect me every step of the way. I'm very encouraged from the recent posts, since my last post! Thank you all so much.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Thank you again Thomas for stating the obvious...

By aligning ourselves with the Law of the universe, we can activate the heavenly deities—the positive forces of the universe.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Evidently all this chanting for reason has worked and the fraudsters have been diverted from their greedy schemes - for now.

So I keep on chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Liza

Padma went to the roof and exercising his power of roaring like a lion, all the non-Buddhists who heard him fell down in great fear and embraced the Doctrine. The chief Buddhists carried Padma aloft on their heads and named him 'The Most Precious Exalted Lion Roarer'. Neighbouring kings invited Padma to their kingdoms, and Buddhism spread widely. The converted non-Buddhists called him 'The All Subduing Victorious One'.

The Tibetan Book of The Great Liberation

Edit: right after I wrote this, a former prime minister from my country called Obama's victory speech one of the great speeches in history. Also my country was the first to invite Obama to our kingdom after his victory :biggrin:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Liza!

Hi Liza!

Hey guys! This is a Nichiren thread. Don't exchange info on other sects here please. Really, really not cool if you know anything about Nichiren's teachings. Again, if you would read the thread instead of just start posting, you would understand. I thought I had posted enough info for you to figure that out already. No problem for you to be here to discuss Nichiren Buddhism. It is a problem if you are going to promote other beliefs that Nichiren instructed his followers to reject and oppose. Thanks.

Please respect the thread.

Thomas

Wow, I appreciate your spirit of wanting to share, but this is a Nichiren thread. Do me a favor and go back and review from post 15451 to post 15464 from the end of this past July, and you'll have a better idea of what the issue is. And I hope some day you understand enough about Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to not be offended by my request.

Deepest respect,

Thomas

Liza

I'm not offended in the least. I was just under the impression this was an ICmag thread, not a Nichiren thread.

Liza

I'm sorry but I didn't read all posts up until post 15451. The first posts said you can chant anything and the more people that chant, the more the environment will change. To me it's like starting a thread called: Eating Growers Group, a thread where anyone can talk about eating and food. And then at post 15000 say actually this is a thread about a certain type of food and we thank you for not mentioning Tibetan food or any other food. Anyway this has all been cleared up for me now and I am thankful. But I wasn't promoting any belief or sect. Just chanting.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we chant
Nam myoho renge kyo
glad to see your back :) please read the thread... its not like you described at all . This thread has been about Nichiren Buddhism since day one.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Hey Liza,

I'm glad you have been introduced to Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. I stumbled on this thread a few months after this site started and then PTD created the mini-environment within ICMAG to begin to propagate Nam-myoho-renge-kyo throughout the cannaverse! It also took me a long time to read (at the time from page 1 to page 150ish), but I did read it and have made this practice a part of my life for over six years now.

Its truly remarkable how this happens. My first introduction to Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! was actually by BOG on www.overgrow.com On that sight BushyOlderGrower had Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in his signature and I thought the brother was using that phrase as some hippy mantra to lure canna-users into buying his seeds. Little did I know it was one of the most merciful things any person could ever do for me because I was suffering so much! My personal brand of Judaic/Christian/Zen Buddhist/Jack Kerouac/BusinessRastafarian life was missing something. I wasn't happy, I didn't know where to start getting past my addiction to relative happiness and start building absolute happiness.

I found through this thread its as easy as chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! for the rest of your life. Try it! Mix it into your other chants until you realize that this chant is the cause that needs to be made everyday! I'm not encouraging you to continue chanting erroneous teachings, as per Nichiren's mandate, but I do implore you to chant daimoku (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!) Do it all day, do it all night, PEACE FOR ALL HUMANS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD!

Even though I saw the essential teaching first on BOG's signature, it was Babba who made sure I started chanting and was always encouraged to chant, study and keep developing my faith with amazing support from so many others especially PTD. We're a big ICMAG Chanting Growers Team here and anyone and everyone already meets the prerequisite to join. Its a universal practice! Open to all!

Peace and Goodwill to all,
MyohoDisco

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging's profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behaviour as a human being."

(The Three Kinds of Treasure - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 852) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, Sept 12th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin writes [in a letter titled 'Why No Protection form the Heavenly Gods?”]: “My life from the beginning has been based upon firm conviction. I have no intention now of reversing my course, nor will I ever reproach [(i.e., bear a grudge against) those who persecuted me]. Evil persons too will be good friends to me' (WND-2, 432).

"When we thoroughly dedicate our lives to the Mystic Law, we will naturally come to gain the profound realisation that all things have meaning, and that everything can be turned to positive use for actualising kosen-rufu. That is the life-state of Buddhahood."

SGI Newsletter No. 8602, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [40] “The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra”—Part 2 [of 3], Revealing the True and Highest Potential of Life, from the May 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated 6th Sep. 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts